Should I buy a monome grid this year?

I used to own one a few years back (2010) and enjoyed it but eventually needed some extra cash and sold it. However, I’m interested again and was wondering if the community is still active and most importantly is it still supported on all new operating systems as far as the classic programs such as MLR, etc.? I would hate to dish out the cash and have way too much trouble getting it to work again because of ancient, outdated software. Please let me know!

I find the community to be very alive, thriving even. With Grid coming to software emulation in Teletype to someone else’s work on porting White Whale to VCV Rack and the recent selling out of Telex expander modules in less than 10 minutes, I’d say things are looking bright.

i’d say it’d be pretty difficult to diminish the relevance of an open-ended design such as the monome grid.

to your question, a lot of what used to work still works and there are new apps being developed all of the time.

however, i wouldn’t bet on every old patch working. there are a good number of patches that were left behind on old operating systems or max versions, with nobody to maintain them. so if you’re pining for a particular app, best check first and maybe ask here. many “saved” apps live here:

monome grids remain best utilized at their full potential by learning, and we’ve made substantial strides since then:

all of that said, the push 2 and ableton is totally great for an audience with different goals.

I’d say certainly!

First, Monome is a company that makes a variety of products, including the grid (which I’m assuming is what you’re talking about), the arc, the teletype, ansible, and a variety of other things.

As far as long term support of software, I’d say it’s mixed. Some things still work, some have been updated to new platforms (like taking a max device and making a max for live version), and some things may not work. Some things work in some places and don’t work in others and there’s no clear reason why.

A lot of focus has moved to the monome eurorack modules. They are very cool, and I don’t know of any that don’t incorporate the grid.

A small company/community like Monome can only support so much, so support comes and goes. For me personally, I found that the grid clicked when I was willing to get in and do some programming myself. It’s fun, and you can create software that does exactly what you want.

Since you specifically called out MLR, I’ll mention the most recent variant that folks have been using, @elquinto’s re:mix:

Hope so,
‘cause I just bought one and I can’ wait to put my hands on it. :yum:

Surely this community is well alive and responsive and I will happily ask shameless noobish questions when the grid will be here,
in order to test its patience! :joy:

I would say it’s more relevant than ever!

Have had 2 in the past and now selling items to fund my 3rd.

With the popularity of eurorack systems, taking the grid away from the computer makes a lot of sense. But doesn’t make computer based composition obsolete. That’s the genius of @tehn’s creation.

It is also exciting that the grid can interface with the organelle:

This is just scratching the surface. I just received an arc and I’m eager to go deeper with PD and get it talking with my organelle!

The most reliable software for the monome is software you roll yourself. It’s not that hard! I went from zero knowledge to performing with home-written patches in a few months. The question is: what do you need it to do? I have some dopey ‘get started’ patches on github (someday, I’ll get around to writing more stuff).

I also feel that the whole workflow for using a Monome grid is getting more and more streamlined. Now with the Max package manager and so on.

I am also interesting in this whole shift, or expansion to the Eurorack system. I was wondering is there a module where you can use the skills you already have if you have been making patches in Max and Max for live?

I could always use my Organelle for this job, but it would be nice with something like the OWL Modular with support for Monome. Or is the answer learning how the Ansible module is programmed and then maybe hooking that up to a Er-301 Sound Computer.

Oh the dream of ditching the laptop. But after years of developing techniques for Ableton Live there is so much I would miss.

Oh why can’t Ableton make a stand alone “Live Box”.

Oh well. Back to the topic:
The grids are pretty fucking great. The fact that they are so open and can grow with you is so nice. I am getting more out of my GS64 og MK256 than ever before!

it’s called a laptop running Live

Oh you mean my typewriter with so many layers of software I can not keep track of it all?

Just uninstall everything that isn’t Live.

That is the answer for now. Not my favorite form factor though. Never has been, never will.

That’s basically impossible with Windows or macOS, and Live doesn’t really run on Linux. Maybe BitWig though.

Max/M4L was the first programming I ever did. The skills you learn are highly transferable to other programming environments, visual or text based. You are programming in Max. So if you are comfortable in Max I would not be too nervous about trying a new style of programming.

I bought a 64 in 2008… and two years ago a grid :smiley:
That’s all

Grids are worth it just for mlr. You can get really creative.

i’ve never seen a control device more pleasantly designed. if ever you check out some other controller, you can side by side them and the monome will literally appear as a work of art where the other will be anywhere between pos to well designed tool. grain of salt, sure, but this is my experience for years every time i enter the studio. now more than ever.