Show us your modular system

Current iteration, with notes. My MMG has white knobs, the RxMx is on loan to me, and the Pressure Points is a glossy-panel placeholder without knobs or circuit board that I got from @trickyflemming (which will eventually be replaced by an actual Pressure Points module):

My goal, barring any other surprise announcements, is to upgrade from this 6U 84HP + 3U 104HP skiff and into a Make Noise 7U 104HP + 3U 104HP skiff. The few additions throughout the year would be from Make Noise (QPAS, my own RxMx and FxdF, Morphagene and the “Gene Pool” 2HP microSD card holder I want to make for it), Mannequins Cold Mac, and the Worng Electronics SoundStage.

4 Likes

I came up with a tentative plan for my new case which I’ve been calling “2.0” since it’s a pretty big break with my current setup…

MDLRCASE 12U x 114HP – seemed like my best choice for form factor in a case that wasn’t a little too small, a little too wide, or cost more.

Pedals will go on top of the case (Dark World, Tensor, Afterneath and maybe I’ll keep my MS-70CDR). 16n Faderbank goes in front. Microbrute will probably have to go to the other side of my desk (I’d like to replace it with a minimal MIDI keyboard, but I love its saturated filtered triangle a lot.)

The mults on the left side are my cheap 1:1 patchbay for accessing my audio interface; otherwise I use Stackables for multiples.

Those blank panels are going to park there for a while. Aside from reknobbing Maths and maybe Five-Step, I’m going to wait until I’ve sold off enough old gear to cover my 2019 spending before I spend anything else. I do have a Volca Modular on my want list, maybe a Tetrapad.

I haven’t put my Hertz Donut mk2, Kermit or Chronolob up for sale yet but I expect to once I get to know the ER-301. I might even trim things down a little more.

1 Like

Are you using Vector Space without a joystick, to get variations from other modulation sources? interesting idea…

Yep, I feed it VCOs, LFOs, three René CV outputs, envelopes, in various combinations. It’s become central to most of the patching I do these days.

2 Likes

The system you are planning looks extremely fun and playable.

Is the Sound Stage as intuitive as it looks? I am taking the jack placement in the representation of the room very literally - the further the sound is from center stage will be its place in the stereo image and sounds farther back will be quieter than sounds up front.

Soundstage isn’t available yet so I can’t speak from personal experience. More info in the Worng Electronics thread:

2 Likes

For the soundstage, left/right is indeed for stereo placement (similar to Nearness in that regard). Up/down jacks placement changes some filtering, so it’s more about frequencies than volume.

24 Likes

Maybe a silly question since I don’t suspect it’s the star of the case, but anything notable—good or bad—about the VCA4p?

I’ve never had anything by Bubblesound, and I don’t see them discussed much in these parts. Trying to decide between this, the ever-popular Tangle Quartet (which lacks the expo mode), and the Qauttro Figaro, which while 2hp more, has some other fun bells & whistles.

I just picked it up, but it feels very similar to the tangle quartet. Haven’t played with the exponential mode much, but it’s definitely a bonus!

1 Like

How are you liking Falistri?

The guys at CTRL always have good things to say about Bubblesound, they appear to be a really great value. I’d say a safe bet. I’ve owned the 6 channel mixer and dig it, only reason I sold it was I realized for something I tweak that much I’m not a fan of the smaller knobs.

2 Likes

10 Likes

I’ve only had it a few days, but it’s taken a bit for me to wrap my head around. Still not completely there (especially with the bottom two sections).

1 Like

Also got a Falistri this week. I will say that, as a former owner of Sapel, I have found Falistri to be more intuitive than Sapel, which I always struggled with, and eventually sold.

(I got the Sapel right around the time that Marbles came out, which couldn’t have helped Sapel’s case either :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

Had a look at the Falistri after seeing your post. It looks mega. Can you offer any insights as compared to Maths / Just Friends / Cold Mac / similar mad swiss army knives?

I’ve had Falistri for about a week now and think it great. It’s a little slimmer than Maths. I like the horizontal layout of the function generators rather than the vertical maths and the knobs have more resistance than Maths knob which I found rather loose. The linear vs exponential rise/fall changes don’t affect overall function length which is an improvement on maths IMO. I also like having the little attenuverters on the function out. The bottom half of falistri adds functions that maths doesn’t have but loses some of the mixing/complexity of maths. This is fine by me because I always had a difficult time controlling the maths contortions (I think I needed an oscilloscope). The multi frequency divider, Ring Mod/VCA, and slew limiter are easy to use tools that don’t give me the cold mac headaches.

10 Likes

Here’s my current setup. Increasingly converging on a Black and Gold System analog.

3 Likes

My mish mosh of a modular synth. Sometimes I feel like the goal is to build the most un-thought out system and then patch as many cords in as possible and try and make something that is still sounds like it could be “music” in quotes because I think the sound of whales talking is music.

10 Likes

100 :100: percent ‘whales’

2 Likes