Show us your modular system

Just rearranged everything. I like all the modules individually - but felt like something is not quite right. I’m hoping that a new layout will shed some light

Just tried it, very impressive! Thanks!

Waiting for some 1U stuff to come in, as well as a Praga for serious mix fun, but I’m really liking this case so far.

i was losing focus with the 12u/114hp case…so during the 5 month old’s (increasingly long and predictable!!) naps during paternity leave, i hacked some leftover wood together to house the 84hp rails from the happy ending kits i started with and put a bunch of fun stuff in. Low on utilities and EGs, but also learning how versatile the teletype is.

Been looking to get a new 6u 104hp case, but thought i’d see how id fare with a smaller bootleg situation before spending money.

I’m so used to my flipped Teletype that a non-flipped one looks upside-down to me. :grinning:

Three DPLPGs! :open_mouth: But then I guess with those sound sources you don’t often need an ordinary VCA (and Blender will do in a pinch)

ha! yes, kind of extra on the dplpgs, but fun to use em for CV from batumi for whatever.

Also, the Curtis Filter has a VCA so that’s for more standard routing.

what would be great in this thread is if when posting your modular also post a link to some music/ a recent record/performance created with it. That would really help with context.

New case! Ironically buying a larger case for more portable/practical solution. Folds in half for being able to fit in overheads on flights :sunglasses:

Will eventually fill in gaps with RxMx, QMMG, and Echophon or DLD, somehow… And either nearness or Sound Stage as a stereo mixer. Dreamy ~~~

What’s the small module next to morphagene? Looks like some kind of switched mult?

That looks like an Acid Rain Technology Switchblade, which seems to be a very useful module. Any comments on this ?

That’s exactly what it is. There’s one on the left next to the Tempi too. It’s a great module! It’s so simple but so useful. I use them to give variation in live performance, like rerouting different voices into effects, having different sequences to switch between, and changing between fast envelopes to slow on the fly. Recommended.

So have I got this right - pressing the button switches between the bottom two inputs, or you hold it down and it will latch into a ‘mix both’ mode? What’s the jack to the right of each output for then?

Yep that’s right, and the other input is to send a trigger/gate to switch between the two inputs, or to mute/unmute the two mixed sources.

Nice, thanks. Seems very flexible.

And is the switching just immediate? Wondering if you would hear clicks on sound that was inherently not very noisy eg low pitch sine waves?

EDIT:

@_mark @oscillateur

Read from Acid Rain on Muff Wigglers:

It will pop when switching audio.

Some of my earlier prototypes had a “softer” turn-on/turn-off of the JFETs to prevent this, but since it means it basically just fades in and out over some number of milliseconds it made switching trigger streams feel “sloppy” and a little out of time. Plus audio rate switching of CV signals doesn’t work well since it never has enough time to fade one signal in and the other one out.

If the module ends up being popular I have some ideas for how to handle switching audio signals better in the future. Maybe something as simple as some jumpers on the back or a toggle on the front to adjust how quickly the JFETs turn on and off, or perhaps some kind of fancy zero crossing detection for audio rate signals. But TL;DR - the switchblade hardware we have available now is simpler and focused on trigger and CV switching, so unless you have a filter or something after it you’ll hear pops and clicks when switching audio.

If you’re handy with a soldering iron there are some capacitors you can switch out on the back to make the JFET action slower. On the off chance anyone with the module wants to know how to make that modification let me know. I plan on releasing the code and schematics at some point too but I’ve been too busy focusing on new modules and the day job!

Funny, I didn’t have any popping issues when I was testing it (though I am primarily using it for CV and gates/triggers anyway).

Thanks for taking the time to update.

I’m fairly new to eurorack so wasn’t sure of what normal switching behavior is.

That makes sense though - so different use cases.

Clicks can also be desirable too!

There is no real normal behavior in euro thanks to a total lack of standards between manufacturers!

I spent some time today with my Switchblade using audio. It really isn’t suited, with some noise issues and strange glitchy behavior. Having two I could potentially mod one for use with audio (or get a third), but I’m happy just using them for gates and CV variation.

Still a highly recommend module.

Just added the Vector Space to my control skiff, thanks to @Tyresta. Next step will probably be either filling some remaining skiff space with a Brains / Pressure Points combo or possibly replacing my 84HP 6U case with a 7U Steel CV Bus Case.

my system has been fast-approaching something like this, essentially a make noise/mannequins shared system sequenced by monome. black and gold DPO available for swappage with 2x mangrove/coldmac for a different flavor when desired. just need that darn QMMG!

I started my modular journey via the “eurorack ambient” craze a year or so ago and feel like maybe I’ve “grown” out of that, so to speak- or at least my interests have evolved into something driven by more focus, intention, sound design, rhythm, performance, west-coast synthesis, and less on super spaced out “pretty” generative smears of sound that I’ve just become a bit tired of both as a listener and a creator. still searching for the role of the modular in my work as it was used VERY sparingly on my recent album. this almost-finished planned setup is designed to be a played/performed instrument as opposed to a generative music box, and I’m hoping that will integrate it better with the other stuff I use, namely piano, juno-6, tape loops.

What’s that little piece between the Ansible and the Mangrove?