Silos

silos

live granular processing

a four track live granular instrument with a flexible control system. use a keyboard to assign controls, build control macros, or just set parameter values. at any time you can save/load script states, including all control assignments and any parameter snapshots you might have saved. speaking of parameter snapshots, there are 16 per track/voice.

Requirements

norns running latest firmware

keyboard (typing)
optional support for grid and arc

Documentation

check out the docs at norns.community

Download

v1

install in maiden with ;install https://github.com/justmat/silos

there are still a lot of ideas i’d like to implement, but i think things are in a pretty good place… for now :sweat_smile:

85 Likes

first in to say YYYYEEESSSSS!!! and thanks :slight_smile: now where’d i put all 'dem grains… :speak_no_evil:

5 Likes

what a demo!

actually paused it when the drums and bassline started cause i thought i accidentally triggered sound on another tab :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

really sick stuff here

7 Likes

oh shit, thanks! that is a huge compliment :sweat_smile:

i love everything you release! you speak my groove language :man_dancing: :man_dancing:

5 Likes

Thank you @Justmat, I’ve been following it’s development on IG and when you posted it was close yesterday (my time, I’m in Australia so calling from the future) I had no idea how soon that would be!

Casually dreaming here using a recorded marimba & xylophone sample, haven’t even scratched the surface here, but am awed.

Those gate fade times (envelopes?) are bliss, very Enoesque and paired with a 16n I could do a full set on this. It’s like having 4 Morphagenes in my Norns.

Again, thank you.

5 Likes

Whoo hoo thanks mat!

2 Likes

this is so cool @justmat! listened your demo multiple times, so lovely and inspiring (as everything you do!). glad I have a mini keyboard just for norns :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been waiting so long for a live-grain like this! Thank you and congratulations for the release👾

2 Likes

silos is in the maiden project manager now!

12 Likes

Loving this script. Is there anyway to have parameter changes mapped to, for example a 16n, show up on the main Norns parameter screen?

1 Like

for sure! i’ll take a look after lunch :slight_smile:

edit: @ptbarnum it is done. just update your script and you should be good to go! :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Amazing, thank you for the quick improvement!

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying silos. Having barely scratched the surface, I made a recording of my doodling and posted it here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-136434953/silos-2

In the recording I’m playing three silo tracks, adjusting gain, position, size, and density of each track with a 16n controller.

Really great work @Justmat! I’m looking forward to digging in further.

6 Likes

that sounds great! thank you for sharing :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Hello there,
A nOOb question: is it possible to save a “control assignment”?
I’m feeling good on assign 7 and 9 to gridx and gridy, I choose to save on Pset but I’m not able to recall this assignment after restarting Norns😅
What am I missing?

1 Like

There is! It’s near the bottom of the docs and requires a keyboard.

save and load state

• save_state id
    • save_state test = save your current script state in a file called test.state
  • load_state id
    • load_state new_song = load new_song.state if it exists.

nb: save/load_state id’s can be any string. state includes control assignments, macros, snapshots etc…

2 Likes

Wonderful! I already have my Keyboard plugged to set parameters, so🙂
Thank you for this instrument, seems so deep and customizable!
I’ll get back with some sounds✨

2 Likes

i’m glad you’re enjoying it! can’t wait to hear what you make :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

I’ve only scratched the surface but I had so much fun!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CN7MtODqX4t/?igshid=1bb0tbe1nfh2w

1 Like

i’ve listened to this so many times this morning! thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like