Simple Sequencers

Recently I’ve really gotten into using simple sequencers to add a bit of depth and variety to my patches. I have the XAOC Devices Tirana (4 step) and I just ordered the Verbos Sequence Selector (5 step).

I use the Rene for 5, 7, 8, 12, 16, etc., steps and then I throw a simple sequencer in the flow to change envelope length, timbre, FM ratios, etc to vary the sound for each step on top of the melody from the Rene. I like setting the Rene to 5 steps or 7 or some odd number and then using the simple sequencers to multiply the complexity of the pattern. As the ratio of steps are different, the repetition won’t align like sequences that are only 16 steps. Throw in LFOs and manual knob twisting and you have a lot of variety for your sequences.

Does anyone else do something similar? Any tips and tricks or recommendations?

4 Likes

I have used a simple sequencer (RYO Penta) with a precision adder to modify the pitches of another sequence. The Penta has been running a 3-5 step sequence to modify a longer sequence. The switches in the Doepfer precision adder let you add, ignore or subtract the voltage so that gives some more variation.

3 Likes

Korg SQ-1 is perfect for this type of auxiliary sequencing, aside from the lack of reset. Step jump as an alternattive though…

6 Likes

The Befaco Muxlicer is criminally under appreciated. It’s hard for me to explain effectively but it has a huge range of functions, one of which is sequencer.

Also bonus: if you are DIY inclined the Befaco kits are great!

6 Likes

Bafeco :point_up: looks great. I have a Verbos Sequence Selector and love it. I was never sure if i just had an addiction to sequencers or what. I could fill a whole case with only sequencers. Sputnik Modular 5-Step Voltage Source in addition to the Verbos Sequence Selector is a magical combo for me.

3 Likes

Two Tiranas are actually quite fun as a really simple sequencer thing! You can have them run as one 8-step sequencer, but I had most fun with having one transpose the other, or by using the trigger out with the other etc.

2 Likes

Brains along with one or two Pressure Points is simple enough, especially when compared to the complexity under the hood of either version of René.

2 Likes

I have a brains and 2 PP as well. Love them too!

1 Like

I have a little Copper Traces Seek — really love it for its low HP/solid versatility. 1–64 steps, clock divisions, gate/CV/accent out, evolving randomness for cool generative vibes, 12 storage slots. I use it often to sequence other sequencers and create A/B/C sections etc.

2 Likes

another :raised_hands: for the SQ1. super fun interface for sequencing or playing CV

2 Likes

I often use a single filter module for kick and snare-ish duties with some simple sequencing v/o - higher voltages give me a woodblock or whatever, but I’ll also mult the sequencer’s CV to a VCA via a comparator, slew, etc, effectively processing only the woodblock with reverbs, or mixing it with other tones to create a more complex snare sound while the kick is left alone (or processed on its own chain - inverting the sequencer’s voltage to drop the signal to a VCA, cutting off just the woodblock).

4 Likes

How similar is that to sequencing on the MC-202?

A thing I like to do is modulate the key or root note of my sequence (on the Intellijel Metropolis and/or Stillson Hammer MkII) by using another, more basic sequencer. For this I usually use my MN Pressure Points or Ginko VSQ2. Slow clock rates/divisions give great results here. Additionally modulating the ‘start point’ and ‘length’ on the Ginko VSQ2 makes up for great and musical variations.

2 Likes

When I was exploring sequencing options early this year I strongly considered that combo. The ability to address any step directly with a gate and sequence it in a nonlinear way is pretty attractive to me.

I’m currently unsure about my Mimetic Digitalis. I love the concept, but in practice I don’t really use it much, and I think Carpeggio in Hemisphere Suite will do a lot of what I want from it. It seems like a simpler sequencer might suit me better than MD.

…but I also haven’t really worked with the SQ1 I got a few weeks ago, though, other than to jam with it a little… I’ve been leaning on Teletype and Marbles a lot lately.

2 Likes

Sorry to zombify the thread but I was hoping somebody can advise me. I’m looking for a simple gate sequencer, preferably in euro format, that would follow the clock and allow to freely punch in the gate events. I can do that with beatsteppro and digitakt but prefer something small’n’light. Is something like this existing or am I just dreaming out loud? Qubit Tri-ger had some of that functionality if I’m not mistaken but it’s discontinued for now.

Would you also need control over the gate length? Something like the Bastl Knit Rider maybe?

1 Like

not really.
Thanks, I’m going to check the Knit Rider.

Korg SQ-1 should be able to do this. It’s also a decent midi to cv/gate converter if you’re using a computer.

If I’m not mistaken, SQ-1 only operates in 16 step grid, not allowing free time events?
I guess what I’m looking for can be also called gate looper.

That is correct. 8 or 16, or you can deselect any number of gates.