SOMA ROAT (Rumble of Ancient Times)

I just ordered one of these from Detroit Modular and thought I’d see if there was a discussion here about it. While I was underwhelmed by the initial demos, there are a couple on YouTube that won me over. Looking forward to getting this in hand and seeing what it’s like.

https://youtu.be/gZgcHnIneqw

https://youtu.be/-xGjOQXA6-s

5 Likes

I must admit I’ve never touched any soma gear. Yet they are doing such amazing things I can’t help but want a full soma setup.
So much creative stuff coming from soma that I’m almost in the “I’ll 1 of everything please.”

A soma and ciat setup is my current end goal I believe.

This looks like a great op-1 or pocket operator travel companion. Or a cocoquantus and this would be amazing to imho

2 Likes

I havent been remotely impressed with this thing until now, those videos you just posted actually have me sold on it and I’m now questioning whether to replace my next planned purchase (an Error Instruments Radio Sputnik) with this instead :slight_smile:

Im gonna have to do some thinking :slight_smile:

Looking forward to seeing more demos of the ROAT!

I wanted a Lyra 8 the moment they came out but still havent gone for it. I think I’m kinda over it now, but its a lot of kit for quite a reasonable price.

Soma Enner tho, wow. Its my go to instrument of choice for everything :slight_smile: Best purchase ever, for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

This I want for sure! So happy you got one! :drooling_face:

I’m going to pull the trigger on the ether to pair with the Norns and op-1 for sure. I will say my Lyra lust has died a little… But mainly because they released pulsar.

1 Like

I have the Lyra, Pulsar, Ether, and Cosmos - hoping to get the Enner when it’s available again.

3 Likes

Ether here too. Ether 1 and Ether 2 :smiley: Enner I got on the waiting list for the moment it was announced, and then promptly forgot all about it so it was a nice surprise when they suddenly released it.

Either Ether plus any sampler plus auto chopping and its instant odd drum kit, much like how I would use ROAT and/or Radio Sputnik, but obviously both of the latter two can be sequenced so negate the need for a sampler, kinda.

What an amazing world of odd sounds SOMA have created. Cosmos is very tempting too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This thing looks like a fun little box in the ‘sort of an impulse buy’ price range. SOMA is one of the more refreshing and original synth companies, imo. Most of the products have quite a bit of depth to them, so I think this could go beyond the chip tune thing for sure.

2 Likes

i got one a few weeks ago and as a sucker for weird little sound devices it immediately won me over. it’s easy to get noisy and crunchy sounds if that’s what you’re after but the ROAT is also capable of more gentle or percussive bits out of its four oscillators (each with its own lfo). if you become tired of monkey drumming with the touch plates, it gets more interesting once you start exploring the different fm algorithms and play with the sequencer. also love the fact that all functions, waveshapes and modulation algos are printed out on both the back and faceplate, it’s in my opinion a nice esoteric device yet accessible and fun to play with, thumbs up SOMA and Kakos_nonos for another great instrument.

3 Likes

I just re read the specs and thought about it. Im gonna pull the trigger on this before ether. The fact that its clockable sealed the deal and small/portable and battery powered…Looks awesome!

1 Like

I got on the Soma shop waiting list for it in December, figured that would be the fastest way to get it. I emailed to ask about it beginning of May and they said they were starting orders that week. No word since then.
Now I see it sold out in places. Guess it just wasn’t meant to be.

2 Likes

You could also reach out to the new US division: https://www.earwormllc.com, seems like they’ve been getting them and do sales directly. It’s sold out too there but it’s another resource?

2 Likes

Stop talking me into it! :slight_smile:

@4321 Def get back in touch with them, they’ve been really helpful in tracking an order down for me before.

2 Likes

I’ve had my eye on one of these since the announcement. I’m a sucker for 8bit and crunch.

Thanks very much for the tip!

2 Likes

mine just arrived a few minutes ago - lightning fast shipping from Detroit Modular as always.

The ROAT is instant fun out of the box. Yes - it is limited in some ways but it is definitely more than just a toy. The randomization is brilliant in a similar fashion to the randomization on the Microgranny.

Will be posting some videos to IG in the coming days, no doubt.

3 Likes

clocking from the modular with modular drums, running the ROAT through Strymon DIG and DECO:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfUanvNpVuR/

3 Likes

Thomann in Germany has these in stock now. If you’re in the US, price with shipping is reasonable. SOMA Rumble of Ancient Times – Thomann United States

1 Like

Any chance you could put up an MP3? I refuse to sign up for Instagram. Cheers!

I’d jump on that Thomann deal - actually a few dollars cheaper than I paid for mine, even with the shipping.

may post some audio clips later.

2 Likes

Anyone got any fun demos they’ve made with this thing yet? :slight_smile:

EDIT: Ooooh!

EDIT 2:

3 Likes