Squarp Hermod "Modular Brain"

Interesting concept!

8 cv/gate outs, midi in / out, and 4 cv ins. Seems pretty cool!

Looks like it uses the same OS (or variant) and general control structure of the Pyramid. That’s a good thing, I really enjoyed using the Pyramid. If it’s the same OS then it might also have a lot of the cool sequencing effects that the Pyramid has, like ratcheting, euclidian, arpeggiators, delays, etc.

I wonder how it is similar/different to ER-101/ER-102. And then I remember that my case is full of monome sequencers. :wink:

haha. yeah. same. and i love them.

I don’t love the ER-101/102 workflow though, it just doesn’t feel performative for me in the way I like to work. I’ll likely drool over this Squarp thing when it comes out, and then stick with Monome as I know it and love it.

This looks awesome- can’t wait to see the official details on it!

good golly that screen is tiny

You’d be surprised at how much you can pack into a tiny screen in eurorack!

*note, not necessarily endorsing that practice, just saying, it’s done.

Mine arrived today! I’m planning on using it as a Teletype->Computer interface. So far, I’ve tested it out “just” as a polyrhythmic gate generator… it’s great at that.

I’m tempted by this boy as a CV looper. Granted, I wrote a draft of a TT scene to store CV from IN every 100ms or so and play it back with slew, but I’m a little afraid to actually test it.

Had my second session with it. It’s excellent.

I connected my OP-1 to it over USB and used the Tombola sequencer. I recorded two loops, quantized them to a grid, and added some swing. I then used those two loops to sequence two Plaits in Rings mode. It created these great, spindly little sequences. I made plenty of recordings, so I’ll edit them and post them eventually.

It’s way easier to use than expected. The Pyramid had a bit of a learning curve for me (especially initial steps like selecting which output is active), but this is quite straightforward. I plugged in the OP-1, hit a note, and immediately saw it come out of the active track. In fact, changing the focused track sends the USB MIDI device to that output. So, it’s a simple process to select track 1, hit record, play notes, select track 2, hit record, play notes…

The “effects” are very enjoyable. If you’ve used a Pyramid, all of those are here. If you haven’t, the effects are useful operations on sequences that can be modulated in real-time. For example, you can modulate the amount of retriggering, modulate the quantization scale, modulate swing, modulate probability, etc. You can also apply the effects in any order.

@misuba, I haven’t recorded CV yet. I’ll try that out tomorrow.

Wow, that was easy. I’m now sequencing an OP-1 using Teletype. This module is great!

EDIT: Okay, now this is crazy. I have Teletype generating a 7-step sequence. Hermod is synced to the tempo of Teletype and is generating an 8-step LFO that is modulating the OP-1.

Do you use it alongside a grid/ansible?

I stupidly sold my Ansible when I sold my Arc, but I have another one on order.

It will be a great way to record two tracks from Kria simultaneously, or to use Kria to sequence external instruments. Additionally, it could be used to apply effects to Kria (arpeggiation, quantization, an additional probability layer, etc.) for Eurorack or MIDI sequencing.

Last night, after setting up the OP-1 sequencing, I saved the Hermod project as “AB_TO_HOST”. Now, I have a template to sequence any USB MIDI device connected to the Host port. As a test, I unplugged the OP-1 and plugged in my Analog Four. This worked without any additional configuration. Additionally, I unplugged Teletype from Hermod’s AB inputs and swapped it with other sequencers or combined different modules (i.e. separate gate generation from pitch info). This also worked perfectly.

Next up, I’m going to connect Hermod directly to my Macbook and test out sending MIDI from Numerology, Max, etc.

It’s really nice having one module to act as a centralized hub between all of this gear.

Can it handle polyphony via MIDI? MPE?

MIDI Polyphony for sure. You could have 8 voices of Gate + Pitch. You could also do 4 voices of Gate + Pitch + Velocity. In that situation, each voice would take up two of the tracks, since each track only has one CV out. However, you would then have four bonus Gate outputs that you could still target with the built-in sequencer. Aftertouch is another option.

I don’t think that it does native MPE, but I think that you could hack something together since each track can listen to a specific MIDI channel.

This does sound like it beats going through the ES-8 and Reaktor, but I still rather selfishly hope you get around to testing the pure-modular use cases…

I noticed they updated their website and now list this module as being fully poly-metric instead of being poly-rhythmic. Can anyone confirm that the module can play poly-rhythms or if the sequences are merely poly-metric (actually playing different rhythms simultaneously vs playing patterns of different lengths simultaneously).

Hermod is polymetric. In general, it’s a lot easier to feed the Hermod a sequence from elsewhere and record it. The recording grid is high resolution, but editing it directly from the Hermod’s interface can be finicky if you’re trying to do anything complex on a single track. Currently, each Hermod track uses the same master clock.

The Pyramid allows you to choose between polyrhythm or polymeter modes.

I’ve been using the Hermod to record multi-track sequences from OP1, Teletype, Pyramid, etc. It then works really well for processing these sequences.

Side note, in the new @annannie video, it looks like she’s using the Hermod to playback a multi-track sequence from “Clare de Lune”. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WDNgfnZ3HM
(In the YouTube comments, she says that Logic is sending the MIDI and tempo data to Hermod)

I have some questions for users as I imagine how I would use it,

I like to hammer in a sequence using a cv gate keyboard with little attention to playing proper tuned notes and rythms, Have any users tried recording sequences made with cv, gate and a modulation source for eg velocity or pressure? Is this modulation stored at midi resolution?

how long can this recorded be as a totally un-quantised thing? I dont really understand bars too much so like a couple minutes?

Can I copy/paste this onto other patterns and create variations of this original sequence?

What is the smallest grid for quantisation and can it be applied as a percentage?

and lastly I believe there is no overdubbing ?