Squarp Hermod "Modular Brain"

Yes it works great for me.

64 steps. The minutes depend on the bpm.

Yep!

I believe 32. No option for percentage, but there are some effects that can help.

There is!

2 Likes

See this is what I dont understand…why are there steps if im recording totally un-quantised? So I can record how many ever events at the slowest bpm and extend my record time?

I can’t answer that on a technical leven(maybe someone else) but from what I believe it’s because the sequencer only go as low as recording 8 steps per bar.

You can have a max of 64 bars so that’s about 512 steps in a single sequence. Setting to a lower bpm will not give you more steps, it wil just play the notes at a slower speed.

It’s interesting how stable, jitter/lag-less is current Hermod FW? I’ve read about some issues on MW thread but it can be a human factor or personal feeling of possible issues.

I don’t have a hermod, but if its the same as the pyramid (which it appears to be broadly)

steps are a view (in conjunction with zoom) onto the timeline of whats recorded, so that are the grid, when you record notes they are then seen on that time and also have an offset, so they don’t have to be on the grid… they are just shown on the closest step.

this means that you can combine, step programming and also recording live.

random notes:

• I don’t see the offset in the hermod manual, but could just be a UI thing, if its allow unquantized recording… they’ve removed quite a few things from the hermod UI compared to pyramid. but I think the underlying sequencing engine is probably very similar.

• certainly on the pyramid its a fundamental concept that zoom and steps are more a view onto the timeline, which the notes sit on… this is important when you start to moving things around (e.g. rotations), or messing with time signatures

1 Like

Ah yes, it must be similar to what ive heard the digitakt and some elektron gear does.

I had kinda looked past this as a bit of a pedestrian attraction but Idno it kinda has my interest now and it might actually become my first euro module.

Seems like it would tie in a bunch of standalone analog and midi gear I got and will get me back to the more conventional ways I used to create tracks in the past. Which was to record things as parts non linearly and painstakingly arranging it linearly rather than today where its just patching things together to make interesting things happen, recording and calling it a track as is. This looks kinda like a bridge between those worlds with other benefits like enabling one to integrate other people who may prefer working with a proper computer.

Fair few peeps complaining about it on muffs tho. Idno for what it does i reckon it could be pretty darn useful.

I really love the Hermod, but would not recommend it as your first piece of euro unless you plan on getting more modules. If you just plan to sequence external gear with it I’d definitely go for Pyramid because it offers more on the midi side. Hermod is definitely more eurorack focused.

There are a few complaints. There are bugs, but it does 99% percent of what’s advertised.

No lag here. Works like a charm tbh. There were some clocking issues with external gear, but I believe that was fixed with the latest fw.

1 Like

I think loopop kind of sums it up well in his video…

3 Likes

Yeh pyramid just seems like this world into itself which… I dont know if its for me yet. True that the hermod is garnered to eurorack but im just looking at it for what I want to see it as which is 8 cv gate out with pattern recording and transforming using cv in or digital…only bummer is the never gonna die midi resolution…im not so into midi myself but its there and with usb connection to the computer to talk with software modulars like max etc its a utilitarian thing.

I shall look into pyramid a bit more tho in case the uses I really want hermod for it does way better.

I’m replacing my René 2 with a Hermod. I have a pretty good idea of how “midi looping” style sequencing will work, but does anyone have any cool tips for more ‘random’ type melodic tricks?

Sure, here are 3:

Feed in cv and gates to make melodies from lfo’s (using scale effect and sample & hold)… and/or use that same cv to adjust a single parameter within an effect (like transpose). It works really well except there is no offset or attenuation so you’ll need to do that before sending cv in.

Use velocity and chance to have per note probability.

Use cv in to jump to other sequences (patterns).

1 Like

Very cool. I’m really excited and wish I would have done more research before I picked up the René.

Not that I mind having a go at some of the various sequencers on the market.

I know Hermod will give me what I want, and the fact that I can use it to sync and sequence external gear is the icing on the cake.

1 Like

I did sell my Hermod but kind of regretting it now…

And that black panel…!

I can see why someone might sell it. I find myself most inspired when I use my Keystep for sequencing, and the Hermod will be a natural extension of that. And it’ll be fun to hook it up to my Electribe 2 to make some fun dance beats.

I’m going to miss the surprises of René, but I won’t miss how obtuse it can be sometimes. Not a dig at the module - it just doesn’t quite work with how I like to sequence.

Funny ! I sell Hermod to buy René.

I think that having the gestural, live sequencer for René and the accurate, one with Hermod might be a great combo.

I felt like René wasn’t gestural enough! The pads were a little too “on-off”, and I wasn’t terribly inspired by the “playing” aspect of it. I’m hoping that expanding a keyboard to control all voices (instead of one at a time) will give me the interactive element I felt was missing.

I could see adding something like Pressure Points, Tetrapad, or TSNM to the mix.

I started to push monophonic CV into multitimbral Midi on any polyphonic synth. With 8 fx slots you can have at least 2 very distinctly different flavors of ‚adding up‘
Of course you could record steps doing this but its marvelous doing this live-engaging midi fx on the fly. This will most likely feed into random stuff very quickly-and going back to ‚completely normal‘ very fast. Think of the hermod as a live effect, either controlled or complete destruction. Random (semirandom actually) is in your hands at all times when Hermod is used like that.

3 Likes

That sounds absolutely fantastic! So you can program a sequence, toss on some effects to shake it up, and disable them to go back to the original melody? Sounds fun :slight_smile:

@rbeny feel free to drop in and tell us some of your Hermod tricks!

2 Likes

I use my Electribe 2 purely as a controller/keyboard for the Hermod. Besides obviously being able to play notes into it, you can use the knobs and xy pad to control Hermod’s effects parameters, so for example, you could use the filter knob to control Chance (probability) amount for a Hermod track.