Strum

Strum

A plucky little pattern sequencer

This 16-step sequencer offers random note generation, 4 choices for pattern play - forward, backward, ping-pong, and random. Adjustable pattern length, scale, key and tempo. Pattern and synth params can be saved and reloaded.

Two versions are available: one using KarplusRings and the other PolyPerc.

Requirements

norns (v2.0)
grid 128

Documentation

docs located here

Download

v1.0.0 - download link

23 Likes

Updated for requirements of norns v2. Thanks.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for doing this. I just updated to 2.0 and added all the new scripts including Strum. I followed your instructions in the read.me but keep getting “no script information” errors. I tried resetting the audio which worked for many of the other scripts but not this one. I’m brand new to Norns and am thinking that maybe I don’t have the engines? If so, could you explain to me how to find them? thanks :slight_smile:

Edit: If I click encoder 3 on the PolyPerc version, it goes to the strum screen and works! Still not working with karplus rings though. I also seem to be missing a Params menu for all scripts

The 2 Strum scripts (strum_kr.lua and strum_pp.lua) should be installed in the code folder on your norns. You don’t have to have them inside any other folder - I like to do this so I don’t have a long list of scripts to scroll through.

You say you see ‘no script information’, but at what point do you see this?

When I select Strum from the menu page. It says no script information. Then when I click the 3rd encoder it just takes me to the screen with the photo I attached!

Let’s keep this discussion to one forum thread… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We’ll stick with this one! I’ll delete the others :sweat_smile:

This is how it looks in my code folder. Not sure if that’ll help. I’m running maiden now

code folder looks fine

So I just hooked up my grid and it’s working great with Poly.Perc. From the select screen by pushing button 3 I get “no script information” then I press button 3 again and it goes to this screen:

This is what shows on Maiden while on the screen from the photo above. My grid does not light up at all when I select KR…

Right. I’m going to have to pass this one up the food chain. Sorry, I don’t have a clue.

@tehn any idea why on this?

we’re missing the top of the stack trace so can’t see why banging the parameter set is failing - probably while calling a param update func.

@samule.edmoon it would be good if you could post more of the matron output, preferably as text instead of a screen photo.

one possible (likely) reason is that you don’t have PolyPerc installed. (it’s installed by awake now.) the stack trace would be consistent:

### SCRIPT ERROR: init
/home/we/dust/code/strum/strum_pp.lua:632: attempt to call a nil value (field 'pw')
stack traceback:
	/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:185: in field 'pw'
	/home/we/dust/code/strum/strum_pp.lua:632: in field 'action'
	/home/we/norns/lua/core/params/control.lua:76: in function 'core/params/control.bang'
	/home/we/norns/lua/core/paramset.lua:272: in function 'core/paramset.bang'
	/home/we/dust/code/strum/strum_pp.lua:646: in function 'init'
	/home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:71: in function 'core/script.init'
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
	/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:186: in field 'try'
	/home/we/norns/lua/core/engine.lua:83: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/engine.lua:82>
>> reading PMAP /home/we/dust/data/strum/strum_pp/strum_pp.pmap

The PolyPerc version of Strum works for him. It’s the KarplusRings version that throws the error.

ah right, sorry. in that case maybe KarplusRings is missing (it lives in we/lib, since its author has not claimed it) - the stack trace would be similar. both versions work fine for me with the engines installed.

2 Likes

Both versions are working fine for me.

This happens for me as well, but pressing key3 loads the script…

oh right: ‘no script information’ is due to the leading whitespace (typo) in the first comment line of the scripts.

2 Likes

Ok. Will fix this in repo.

Edit: updated.

I think I may have deleted the we/lib by accident. Is there any way to reinstall it?

Not sure. Ask in the help thread.

@carvingcode, strum is super fun! can’t believe I waited so long to play with it :slight_smile:

Edit: realized that this was solved in another thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes