Stuck on Loading Screen

Hello hello!
Still pretty new Norns overall. Kinda went ham and downloaded a bunch of scripts. Anyways, now my Norns is getting stuck in the loading screen with certain patches. I looked in Maiden under the sc tab and this series of error notifications popped up. This is where I reached the end of my knowledge. I can tell there’s an issue with Celesta? But I’m not sure how to go about rectifying this. I’m sure I just need to delete a duplicate something, just unsure what.
Any advice?
See the error code below.

free engine: an Engine_Timber
CroneEngine.free
a CroneAudioContext
ERROR: Message ‘celesta’ not understood.
RECEIVER:
class Sample (0x7a3f60) {
instance variables [19]
name : Symbol ‘Sample’
nextclass : instance of Meta_SampleDur (0xb260e0, size=19, set=5)
superclass : Symbol ‘Object’
subclasses : nil
methods : instance of Array (0x7a4020, size=6, set=3)
instVarNames : instance of SymbolArray (0x7a40a0, size=2, set=3)
classVarNames : nil
iprototype : instance of Array (0x7a4120, size=2, set=3)
cprototype : nil
constNames : nil
constValues : nil
instanceFormat : Integer 0
instanceFlags : Integer 0
classIndex : Integer 373
classFlags : Integer 0
maxSubclassIndex : Integer 373
filenameSymbol : Symbol ‘/home/we/dust/code/grd/sc_sample/sample.sc’
charPos : Integer 0
classVarIndex : Integer 65
}
ARGS:
CALL STACK:
DoesNotUnderstandError:reportError
arg this =
Nil:handleError
arg this = nil
arg error =
Thread:handleError
arg this =
arg error =
Thread:handleError
arg this =
arg error =
Object:throw
arg this =
Object:doesNotUnderstand
arg this =
arg selector = ‘celesta’
arg args = [*0]
Engine_Grd:alloc
arg this =
< FunctionDef in Method CroneEngine:init > (no arguments or variables)
Routine:prStart
arg this =
arg inval = 35669.739873244
^^ The preceding error dump is for ERROR: Message ‘celesta’ not understood.
RECEIVER: Sample

hmm – i’m sure someone with more specific SuperCollider knowledge will have good insights, but i’d start with deleting the grd script and trying a reinstall? i’m also curious what the matron side of the REPL printed as far as errors?

since you also ran into some weird filename stuff yesterday, you might also consider starting from scratch with a fresh install: help | monome/docs. i’m not sure of your unit’s specific history, eg. if it was purchased pre-owned or pre-flashed, but might be good to get a fresh foundation :slight_smile: just make sure to back up any important custom scripts or audio!

lmk how it goes!

1 Like

Oof. I hope I don’t have to start from scratch. I barely figured out how to add some of the features I got on it, :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:Here’s what popped up on the matron side. Sorry the quote thing looks weird. I’m not sure how to go about fixing it.

lua:

/home/we/dust/code/grd/lib/sc.lua:25: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value (local ‘x’)

stack traceback:

/home/we/dust/code/grd/lib/sc.lua:25: in field ‘round’

/home/we/dust/code/grd/grd.lua:134: in function ‘redraw’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:157: in field ‘set_mode’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:127: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:117>

script load: /home/we/dust/code/grd/grd.lua

cleanup failed with error: /home/we/dust/code/grd/grd.lua:183: attempt to index a nil value (global ‘m_draw’)

script clear

including /home/we/dust/code/grd/lib/sc.lua

script run

loading engine: Grd

reading PMAP /home/we/dust/data/grd/grd.pmap

no worries!

for this sort of formatting, use ``` above and below your text to format a code block. double-points if you use the Hide Details feature (click the gear in the post editor) to collapse it all:

code
/home/we/dust/code/grd/lib/sc.lua:25: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value (local ‘x’)

stack traceback:

/home/we/dust/code/grd/lib/sc.lua:25: in field ‘round’

/home/we/dust/code/grd/grd.lua:134: in function ‘redraw’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:157: in field ‘set_mode’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:127: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:117>

script load: /home/we/dust/code/grd/grd.lua
cleanup failed with error: /home/we/dust/code/grd/grd.lua:183: attempt to index a nil value (global ‘m_draw’)
script clear
including /home/we/dust/code/grd/lib/sc.lua

script run
loading engine: Grd

reading PMAP /home/we/dust/data/grd/grd.pmap

anyway, i’d start with deleting the grd script and reinstalling it via maiden’s project manager. if it’s only available on github, then i recommend using the fetch function with the repository’s URL. if the script continues to error out, it may be a scripting issue – you might want to ping the author on the script’s thread to alert them or to verify.

also, is your norns up to date? the latest version is 210411 (21 for 2021, 04 for April, 11 for the 11th day). here are update instructions, icymi: wifi + files | monome/docs

1 Like

Tried deleting and reinstalling. Seemed to fix the issue! Also seemed to fix the issue with the other scripts too. :man_shrugging:
But yeah, its up to date and what not. Wonder what caused it to blip out like that. :thinking::thinking:

1 Like