Studies in Audio Fabrics

Hi lines,

This isn’t necessarily a fresh-out-of-the-oven release anymore, but as I can generate some codes on my personal Bandcamp, I thought that why not share them with you here with the pieces. If you feel like it, have a listen and grab a code to go with it. Any action or non-action is appreciated!

Some details, more on BC
Studies in Audio Fabrics is a set of five compositions that came together as part of studies and research on auditory texture perception and pseudo-acoustic phenomena regarding electronic sound. Instruments used to synthesize the sounds consist of a Serge System, EMS VCS3 Putney, ARP 2500&2600, PPG 1020, Korg 770 and Roland Juno-60. Recorded & composed at Willem Twee Studios in S’Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands

Codes (new codes! used ones deleted 1000 CET 19/10):
8q9b-bsfr
j7qz-etrc
dpj7-3eyf
blfu-ubhx
wc5d-jxmp
sj7p-k5y2
6jgf-3d7r

Previously released on Granny Records, physical copy (CD) can be found from there and you can support them as well at: grannyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/studies-in-audio-fabrics

18 Likes

Kiitokset koodist! This is really good stuff.
I used the first one on the list.

1 Like

thanks for the gift!

1 Like

Really wonderful work. Thank you! I used: w4jb-x9e8

1 Like

Thank you ! I used fdca-3vxv

1 Like

Amazing! Bought a copy! It has this same crisp quality like Rashad Becker’s Traditional Music albums.

2 Likes

thanks for the codes.
i haven’t listened in good speakers yet, only laptop speakers + work headphones.
i quite enjoyed the experience, but will listen properly this weekend, as deserved.

1 Like

Thanks heaps for the comments and support guys! Really appreciate it. Added a few more codes to the mix:)

This is really wonderful, fantastic selection of instruments.
I used codes uawj-xebe

Can you give us any more insight as far as what your researching regarding pseudo-acoustic phenomena? How does this work fit into your interest / exploration as a whole?

2 Likes

This is awesome! I’ve only listened to the first three tracks and I already know I will return to these recordings a lot. I was immediately reminded of Rashad Becker (who’s music I adore) as well. I would love to hear more about your process and approach.

2 Likes

Yes, what @kbit and @x2mirko said above! share more info, i am also quite curious! listened to it twice this morning (still no proper speakers, this weekend i will)

1 Like

This was a nice surprise, thank you for posting it. Lots of depth to the sound. Interested to learn more about your time in the studio. Did this come out of experimentation there, or did you go in knowing what you wanted to accomplish?

1 Like

Twenty characters of “circle pit”. Into it! Thanks for the codes!

1 Like

Hey guys,

thanks for the words & questions! I’ll try my best to answer, sorry in advance if it’s a bit of a mess of elaborations.

@kbit In terms of this body of work, the pseudo-acoustic phenomena refers to the attempt of wording starting points for the practice. At Willem Twee Studios I was captivated by the knowledge and apparatuses that exist in that space, especially an old Siemens analog computer that Hans Kulk had in the other studio. It was used (for example) to calculate what kind of shocks bridges could take by programming series of voltage controlled events. Although these were obviously precise calculations and not meant to be used in a auditive or musical format, the idea of conjuring fabrications of causalities from analog signals that might exist in our physical realm inspired the sonic work. Other starting points included the classic “bouncing ball patch”, which felt like a guiding example in the explorations. I work as a sound designer and I don’t really have the knowledge or the tools to approach from a mathematics- or physics-oriented point of view, so the research questions are basically just umbrellas for artistic guidance.

@x2mirko @Jonny It’s very honoring to hear Becker’s name when commenting the pieces as he’s obviously a huge inspiration and I also adore his work alot. The sonic beings singing on his Traditional Music albums are synthesized to perfection and the physmod is surreal in accompanying the alien Bacchanalia. Trying out similar things that I find so impeccable in his work obviously guided some of the sound work. The whole album actually came together from just a fraction of recordings that I did on the instruments. I wasn’t necessarily looking to compose work, but just to gather a knowledge of methods to summon sonic material that revolved around these questions of auditive texture perception, forms and shapes, kinetics and the weight of sonic information in forming a multimodal experience. The aim was not to replicate something, but to render sounds and sonic events that would carry some substance of the aforementioned phenomena. For synthesis I wanted to use explicitly analog signals and it’s just a marvelous thing that I had access to the instruments at Willem Twee Studios – they are the breathing bodies behind every sound. Eventually I started to form some kind of collages from some of the recordings I had done and ended up arranging them to more musical pieces.

If you find yourself from the Netherlands, the Willem Twee studios is a must visit! The people there are genuine, warm, supportive and also experts in their craft. I don’t think I even have to mention the instruments & the facilties.

Thanks again for the support & interest, I hope I had some answers for the questions too!

Also deleted some used codes:)

4 Likes

Deleted used codes, still some up for grabs!:slight_smile: