Studio Furniture

I’m using a Linnmon/Alex
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49181570/

But on top of that I’ve built (out of redwood in my garage) a second tier that lifts an 88 key keyboard up to standing height.

I needed a large desk with lots of work space. Also wanted it to be able to grow with me. I bought a set of hairpin legs online and cut the top from two pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together like a sandwich. Very sturdy. If I ever need something smaller, all just detach the legs, cut it down and put the legs back on. It looks great too.

1 Like

I work from home in the same space where I make music, so I have two of these tables in parallel to each other:

Re-purposed barn wood on steel, sourced locally and made here in Toronto by a friendly guy named Jack. Lovely things, solid, lots of space (58"L x 30"D x 29"H, just fit through my old house’s doorways after we removed the tops), finish feels great. One houses my computer, the other synth/mixer/effects.

16 Likes

I made one of these!

2 Likes

After years of unsuccessfully looking for a desk that 1) held rack equipment 2) held a full sized keyboard and 3) has a drafting table at a 10º angle for writing sheet music, I worked with the Canadian builder 2Egress on a custom workstation. Hopefully what you want is already manufactured and you just have to find it, but I was not able to. Because I couldn’t find monitor stands I liked for less than $1,000 I designed and welded together my own. When it comes to your workstation, it’s the piece that ties your studio together and I encourage you to not compromise on your vision.

46 Likes

I hacked and old IKEA table down to fit in my cupboard. In the process of building a 6U rack to go on top.

1 Like

current incarnation of my work area. size ranges from a whole room to a corner depending on where i am living. space echo is always a piece of it that i like to feature visually as well as have hooked up and easily accessible for music making :slight_smile:

on top of the echo is usually my computer or a tascam 4 track , depending on my purpose

edit: oh and my pixar lamp… crucial for late night immersion

19 Likes

I’m using two trestles and a piece of ply.

Because I’m a massive hipster.

Also, it keeps me disciplined, I can only really keep one other synth along with my eurorack, my interface and my monitors on the desk.

The only thing I’m a bit anal about is having nice chunky isolation pads for my monitors. Maybe it’s my imagination, but they make such a difference with good monitors.

recently redid my studio to support both creative work and professional mixing/mastering. on the left wall: wurlitzer, synths, modular setup, and pedals. on the right wall: mixing outboard gear and a separate capture station for stereo mixdowns. the slant racks have the mastering gear, stuff that i want to be able to tweak while in the sweet spot.

i like that fact that there’s enough room to pull gear out into the middle of the room and play, but it can be put away cleanly when i have clients over.

32 Likes

I wish I had a room big enough with space in the middle. My home workspace is like 8’ x 10’. The joys of living in an expensive city

2 Likes

icymi:

I’m wondering more about that modular stand, myself…

3 Likes

It’s a guitar amp stand. Not sure of the exact model, but there’s lots of options out there.

2 Likes

While that Platform desk is certainly nice, it reminds me of the desk I’ve had for about 7 years, a Studio RTA Creation Station (not as cool looking, but provides most of the functions besides the keyboard slide-out). If I was buying a new desk, I’d definitely consider this thing, but I’m not so sure about that headline ‘finally a desk made for electronic musicians’. :slight_smile:

The main feature of it that I like, apart from it looking cool, is that they ship to Canada (though it costs $100 for the shipping). Getting nearly any other brand of studio desk here is nigh impossible.

Speaking of desks, these ones from Ultimate Support are selling at Sweetwater now: http://www.ultimatesupport.com/products/nucleus-series-studio-furniture.html

I checked them out during NAMM this year and they were pretty nice. The Nucleus Z Navigator is great for a standalone thing, and the modular ones are nice for someone with a bigger studio.

Alas probably not available here in the north, which is why I might get that Output Platform.

That desk does look really nice. I"m kind of ashamed to admit that I want it. Gives me a really nice idea for a DIY project though!

Just installed one of the Key 88 desks from Unterlass. Here is a marketing shot (not my office):

It is super-clean and nice. I have my Euro gear on a glass Ikea table off to the side.

Great company to do business with, btw. They went above and beyond to make sure I was happy.

You can find the desk here:

http://www.unterlass.info/EN/products/key-88/

5 Likes

Anyone got a tip for a desk like the Unterlass or Platform desk but… in Australia?

Pretty basic but fits my needs. Total cost to build was around $120 and was easily done in an afternoon. I wanted to keep the power strips and (most of) the cables from dangling behind the desk so they’re stored in the right compartment. Eventually I’d like to put a little panel on there cover them up. Fake trees are relics from a previous life lived in a basement and I still have a strange emotional attachment to them ¯_(ツ)_/¯

19 Likes

What kind of monitor stands are those? I’d really like something like that for my setup

I’m (super) interested in this topic because I’m considering building a small semi-pro studio too in the coming year. I didn’t know about this desk, it look spractical but a bit too big. Also, what’s the material used here? It looks a bit plastic? Anyhow, I wondered if anyone had any informed opinion about this one https://output.com/products/platform ? It’s pretty and surprisingly cheap so what’s the catch here, is there any big problem I’m not seeing?

1 Like