Studio treatment

llllllll

@Myles_Avery, do you have a pic of your space? I’d love to have an illustration of your setup. Sound minimal, which would be ideal.

Sure! Quick scan of the space trying to get all of it before I go down the live-streaming rabbit hole :slight_smile:

wiiiiiiiiicked. <3

best of luck!

When I was looking for studio treatments, I used the Barefoot room sound spreadsheet. If you measure your room, monitor placement, etc. and then look at different sound absorption panel specs, you should be able to get relatively close to creating a more tonally balanced space. Any reputable sound reinforcement manufacturer while have specs for different treatment panels that you can input into this spreadsheet.

Hello
Sorry for disappearing but I became father in the past week :blush:

@bradfromraleigh
Your assumptions are correct but in very small rooms this trick does not work.
The idea is to increase the delay of the first reflections from the side walls that can cause a blurry image and also some additional confusion in the perception of the direct sound from the speakers.
Try to rearrange leaving your desk on the short side of the room and apply porous absorbers on the first reflections and then bass traps.
Using bass traps in a corner is an old practice…basically this way you are sure to capture axial room modes and transversal ones.
It is better identify them and treat them properly with bass traps on the walls.
The fact you got shelves might be a good diffusion but might be not…depends what you have on them.
Vinyls help a lot…they absorb sound nicely.

@Myles_Avery
Nice set-up first of all.

You are in the right direction but location of panels shall be on the first reflections paths
A trick to do so is sitting in your mixing position and put a mirror on the wall, if you can see your speaker you are about right in identifying the first reflection area.
To keep your downstairs neighbour happy, you need some good sound insulation design.
Sound absorption will reduce the build-up of sound due to the reverberation of the room but will not stop the sound going trough floor and walls.

@wselman
Nice spreadsheet to evaluate comb filtering and coherent summation due to walls…I am going to steal it if I may.

If you need some advice just ask me and I try to be of help.
Unfortunately it is difficult to do it without actually visiting the place and getting more info about it.

Good night for me now…if I manage to sleep.
:fearful:

CONGRATULATIONS AHHHHH A BABY!!! Thank you so much for weighing in, BUT SLEEP!

@bradfromraleigh
I have to admit I have overlooked your dimensions, I always found difficult to work in foot.
So if putting your desk along the longest side of the room will leave you about 1.5 m from the back wall you are still ok with this arrangement.
The reason is that any diffusiin you will put on the back wall as a certain minimum distance at which it will perceived as fully diffusive.
If this is not the case you can either treat the back wall heavily or turn things around.

@Dan_Derks thanks for the message…I did sleep but he was sleeping on my chest the whole night, waking up only to feed!

Thanks for the replies and congratulations!

I’m going to be constructing some acoustic panels this weekend. Unfortunately, I measured my room and I just don’t think there is anyway that I can rearrange per your recommendation and keep all my gear accessible.

I’ve elected to use Roxul Safe N Sound (available at Lowe’s for $39/pack) and use double layers. There will be one large 4’x5.5’ behind my desk and a 32"x64" folding panel on either side (2 16" wide panels connected by a hinge so they can somewhat wrap around the speaker). I think this will give me tremendous flexibility and options - especially if they don’t work at first :slight_smile:

What kind of framing & cover fabric are you using for that? I’ve been thinking of doing the same.

Framing will be 1x6 to accommodate 2 layers at 3" deep each - I realize there may be a slight shortage here. I may switch to wider boards if the insulation really is that thick.

So I have these really cheap foam panels I bought from Amazon. If the Roxul Safe N Sound lays relatively flat, I’m going to glue these panels onto them with a spray adhesive. They do disburse/attenuate the high frequencies some, but otherwise mostly offer aesthetic value only.

If this doesn’t work, I will hit up the fabric store. My backup plan is to staple fabric around the edges and cover with thin strips of trim.

Doesn’t the Roxul need to be contained in something so the fibres don’t get all over the place?

According to their specs, there is no fiberglass in the material and it is safe to handle. Either way, I will be enclosing the panels with wood frames and foam/fabric covering (depending on ease of use for each).

These panels will give u only a bit of sound abs in the mid high.
If you put wood in front of it you will reduce its sound abs further unless you use the wood in a bass trap (vibrating panel) fashion.

I would suggest you buy a 100 mm melamine foam and cover with fabric, you got way better result…not for room modes though.

The wooden frames are for the edges, not the face of the panel.

Finally got my DIY bass traps constructed and installed this weekend. I won’t detail my process as I made several mistakes along the way. This was the story of having slightly less materials, in all respects, than I required. I used Roxul Safe N Sound which was available at my local big box home improvement store for $39. Framed in using 1"x4" pine. Covered in a bargain bin black/gray linen fabric I found at a craft store.

In the end, they look good and they seem to work. It didn’t kill the room but I definitely noticed a difference at the listening position. I did the math and it turns out my speakers were at the perfect location to reflect symmetrical 45 degree angle sound waves right back to my listening position. The bass traps definitely improved this.

I really didn’t believe I would hear much difference but I was wrong. Its like wearing dirty sunglasses in bright sunlight and then cleaning them. You are still seeing the same thing, the detail is just more apparent.

I am interested in starting an acoustic treatment project for my music/guest bedroom space. And as a first step, I mapped out the space (and some potential re-layouts). The room is an approximately 11.4’ (3.48m) cube (tho is L-shaped because part of that is the closet). Here are some more or less to-scale drawings of the layout ideas (approximate first reflection areas in purple).

After I decide on a layout, I’m gonna do a bit more accurate measuring, and see if I can figure out if I can do some audio measurement stuff like @ermina had in the super helpful blog post, then start figuring out what kind of treatment I should do.

Based on reading the conversation here, some of the links and a few other resources, I think that layout 3 is probably the best (layout 2 has the first reflections really close to the listening position which I haven’t seen called out specifically, but I imagine is not a good thing).

For Layout #3, I’m not sure how much it will mess with the aesthetics, but I think I might be able to move the desk more slightly in front of the utility closet door (it only needs to be unobstructed a few times a year for inspection) and a little farther from the wall by moving the bed closer to the wall.

Layout 1: Current

Layout 2: Desk against bed

Layout 3: Desk against wall

Anyone have any ideas and possibly results for a creative approach to a DIY ceiling cloud? I just saw a video on MOXE studios in Nashville and they use cuts of rope hanging from the ceiling in their piano room and also a DIY cloud/wire sculpture type thing in their control room. I put off completion of treating my studio because I’m being lazy - constructing and hanging panels from my 10’ ceilings doesn’t sound like a lot of fun (plus the idea of “lowering” the ceiling with a giant heavy object doesn’t appeal to me). Interested to see if there’s any other approaches that had good results.

First a bit of a bump to say that a bunch of the things in that MOXE video are really awesome looking. That roof lamp/absorber is particularly nice.

Not that I’ve gone looking very much, but that stuff seems pretty unique. Are there more designs out there like this? Or some clearer info on these types of solutions?

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Second is a question about how to best figure out where to put sound treatment.

Basically my studio is a “mixed use” space, with some studio monitors/desk, along with drums and other live instruments. So it is part ‘live room’ and part ‘monitoring setup’, with it weighted towards the ‘live room’ side of things.

The room is a large (4.34m x 5.82m) room with a pointed ceiling (2.44m at the walls and 3.54m at the peak) that is inside what was once a farm structure.

There’s some more pics of it in the pictures thread, but it’s something like this:

A friend suggested using HOFA’s free consultation service, which was fantastic. Basically you send them some measurements and pictures, along with a budget, and then they send you a proposal. (attaching my response so you can see how detailed they are)

Room acoustics treatment & calculation - Rodrigo Constanzo.pdf (659.5 KB)

So I’ve done some of what they have suggested, mainly putting 6 bass traps along the corners (2 stacked in each corner except where the sofa is), but as far as the panels, I haven’t gone with what they said as they seem to have focussed on getting an ideal “mix position”, which is great and all, but does little for the overall sound of the room.

Now I’ve (re)read through this thread a couple of times (great posts from @bassik!), but not exactly sure what the best course of action is for treating the acoustic sound of a room, vs creating an ideal single-point listening position.

In terms of what I have, in addition to the HOFA basstraps in the corners I have ordered 20 x Vicoustic Wavewood panels, so quite a lot of panels for the room. I was initially going to space them around fairly evenly in stacks of 2, with some more precisely placed ones near the listening area, but not sure if that’s the best course of action. Also not against adding some DIY/diffusor things too.

Basically most of the guides and software I’ve seen (REW and @wselman’s spreadsheet) deal with tuning a sweet spot vs creating an overall flatter sound in the room.

Thoughts?

Also interested in exactly all of that, and completely agree that most of the informations out there our about sweet spot treatment and disregard general room treatment for recording purposes. Also interested in what you come up with with the ceiling as most articles also assume your ceiling’s flat.

Hey @Rodrigo,
Just seen the notification on my email.
Being very busy this week I cannot pay attention too much but if you send me a room model I can try to have a look next week.
In any case, you can have a live end in your room and a dead end (very famous design in the 90s LEDE, live end dead end).

The main principle is blocking first reflections to your mixing point, then control room modes and reverberation in the room.

If you are short in equipment and tools, you can place the bass traps in the corners to begin with, and use the wavewood panels to control first reflections (specular reflections like it is a light ray reflecting from a mirror).
Your design looks about right but I would add a solid baking at the panels on the right of your desk.

i would also suggest a diffuser to the back wall related to your desk and another one in the drum location.
Be aware that if you use QRD (or Schroeder diffuser) they have a minimum distance to which the reflected sound field will be diffusive, so do not expect to hear diffuse reflections if you are sitting right next to it.

Hope this helps for the moment