Suggested reading

llllllll

This has been pretty stunning so far. It’s interesting to reflect on how the internet has changed so much. It makes me want to take a year off from listening to anything new. Or to pick 10 albums I sit with for a year and really dig deeper. Everything is so surface level for so many people now, myself included unless I fight it.

This quote stood out to me: “Today’s boredom is not hungry, a response to deprivation; it is a loss of cultural appetite, in response to the surfeit of claims on your attention and time.”

No limits on anything anymore is an interesting phenomenon he gets into and it has made me think a lot about the stretches of gear lust I think many folks battle.

It’s not out yet, but I thought it looked interesting anyway…

The Oxford Handbook on Algorithmic Music

I was sold at

Why do we want our computers to improvise?

Is Modalogy a general purpose theory book? I had a look at the website and it seems very succinct, which is great because I really don’t like longwinded textbooks (which most of them are unfortunately).

Yes, it’s succinct. I checked it out at the library for a preview, and then bought it immediately. It’s published by Hal Leonard, and goes very deep into modal theory but not in a wordy text book style way. The Amazon “look inside” feature is very representative of the way the whole thing is laid out.

Just started reading Derek Bailey’s excellent book about improvisation. I was struck by the absolute impossibility of notating Hindustani music, and the hesitant assertion that sight reading skills may inhibit improvisation ability. I don’t know about that but I made me realize how tightly I’ve been clinging to some very Eurocentric musical concepts in spite of lifelong efforts to avoid doing so. Thanks so much for the recommendation @sellanraa!

well, the transcript link i had went dark, but here’s the vid. this came back into my consciousness recently.

modalogy to me is ‘lydian chromatic concept’ done right! It really crystallised several points for me:

• melodic minor modes (the why & the what)
  • why certain ‘out’ tones sound better than others in chord progressions
  • ‘establishment’ of a tonality (i.e how does your ear know what is the ‘home’ chord)
  • the importance & mathematical inevitablity of pentatonics
  • tritone substitution

This book & joe pass’ video & books were kind of a turning point for my guitar playing when I was fooling around with jazz semi-seriously…

Not really sure where this belongs as there’s not exactly a “share your most recent thesis” topic, but I officially became a doctor (of music) yesterday.

My PhD viva went (unusually) well, which was great to hear given how unusual the actual thesis itself was/is. (It’s a dynamic/funky/weird online webthesis).

Here is my PhD thesis:
http://www.rodrigoconstanzo.com/thesis/

(monome stuff features in multiple places but especially in the first chapter)

Congratulations @Rodrigo!

congratulations Rodrigo !

Just got “Fear of Music - Why People Get Rothko But Don’t Get Stockhausen” by David Stubbs to the library I work at, perfect weekend reeding.

Yeah, congratulations!

Re-reading Brian Eno’s “A Year with Swollen Appendices” for what must be at least the tenth time (every other year since I bought it in 1996)… :wink:

Wow! “Paperback from £67.20” on Amazon!

It’s great. A friend recently reread it in real time - each day on the day it happened.

So, ignoring my overwhelming stack of reading, after watching The Expanse, I am digging into the popcorn reading (rare for me). I walked up to the bookstore to get volume two of that and noticed this. I’ve never read any Toop, but it seemed interesting. Has anyone checked this out yet?

I haven’t read that book by David Toop but “Ocean of Sound” was a very interesting read.

Somebody just posted Daphne Oram’s book An Individual Note to the disquiet junto slack.
http://ubumexico.centro.org.mx/text/emr/books/oram_anindividual.pdf

By the way, there’s a disquiet junto slack!

Remainder by Tom McCarthy
summer fiction for all the perfectionists out there…