Sum: Where are the initial OSC messages coming from?

A bit of a technical question, but I was hoping @tehn might know the answer.

When I open sum (monome_sum.maxproj) it sends the following four messages:

/serialosc/list si "localhost" 13376
/serialosc/notify si "localhost" 13376
/serialosc/list si "localhost" 13375
/serialosc/notify si "localhost" 13375

I wanted to know where these are defined. I’ve done a search through all the files in the release but there is no mention of 13376 or 13375.

I’m asking this because I have to replace localhost with my IP address otherwise it doesn’t work. I don’t know why yet, probably an issue with serialosc in combination with my OS (Linux).
I’ve been able to replace it for all the other messages being sent to serialoscd apart from this one.

that’d be serialosc.maxpat

are you running max in a VM?

@tehn Hmm, I changed the relevant references to localhost in both serialosc.maxpat as well as serialosc-quiet.maxpat (which seemed to be the actual one used).
This fixed it for all messages being sent from sum except for the four I mentioned. So I expected these messages originating from somewhere else.

I’m running this in max 7 using wine, still some bugs, wanted to try if at least the monome interaction would work.

Tiny bump :slight_smile:
@tehn any idea where those four messages could be coming from? I double checked the sources and don’t see any reference to these port numbers. Is there a way to open a patch in patch mode in max7? Maybe I can find it in there somehow?

serialosc.maxpat generates a random port on initialization. it then tries to use it for communication & if it fails, it generates a new random port & tries again.

the /list and /notify is (if memory serves) part of the registration & discovery mechanism used in sum to dynamically reassign the grid(s) to different applications. apologies this was a few years ago and i haven’t looked at max in a long while.

i’d just do a search for the udpsend and udpreceive objects through the whole max project & see what shows up. there should be a set of send/receive ports in each sub-application, plus serialosc, and finally the router/app-selector (this last one is where you need to focus your attention)