Supercollider tips, Q/A

just gonna live code and chat if anyone wants to hang?

Can’t watch twitch at work. Will there be a youtube video of the stream for later viewing?

mmm I’m not exactly sure how to do that yet, but if I get to a good place in the composition I’ll see if I can make a video of it and post it here later

:slight_smile:

ohh sorry I missed this I’ll bookmark this thread for next time (assuming it might happen again)!

Now is a good time to bump this :slight_smile:

A gorgeous new SC tweet from Frederik Olofsson. Such beauty in less than 140 characters:

play{a=SinOsc;f={|...x|1.5**perform(a,\ar,*x)};Splay ar:({|i|l=perform(a,\ar,f.(i+5/150)<1).abs.round(0.5);y=perform(VarSaw,\ar,1.5**l*(f.(l/155,0,5).ceil*50.05),0,f.(l*f.(l/50))-0.55,max(f.(i+1/500.05)-1,0));y+perform(PitchShift,\ar,y*f.(0.1),0.5,5,0.05,1)}!15)}// #SuperCollider

link: https://twitter.com/redFrik/status/986945296054841344

I’ve gotten as far as Tutorial 7 on Eil Fieldsteel’s excellent YouTube series; loving it so far!

Question on order of operations: is feedback possible using private buses? Or cross-modulated FM operators (aka complex oscillator)? Because it seems like a strict order for “this feeds that” denies such opportunities. I’m sure I’m missing something…

yes, LocalIn and InFeedback both read audio timestamped from this block or an earlier block.

This may be in the posts above (still way behind on my norns reading), but this looks like a great resource:

it works like a dream on Macintosh but i could not get it working on Linux

I’ve been re-reading The SuperCollider Book. I stand by my statement that I think Eli Fieldsteel’s videos are a better introduction, but The Book is a very good next-level resource. My complaints about typos are mainly due to the complete lack of editing on the downloadable code. None of the Microsound chapter examples work due to the use of .memCopy, but the code examples in the printed chapter itself are mostly fine (there’s a wiki with errata online).

Anyway, for really outlandish techniques, this book is an easy recommendation: https://smile.amazon.com/Mapping-Visualization-SuperCollider-Marinos-Koutsomichalis-ebook/dp/B00GX67V5W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1526231943&sr=8-6&keywords=supercollider

This is for the folks who want to do things like generate waveforms using Markov Chains or creating visuals with Cellular Automata. One thing I like is that it dives into a lot of the sc3-plugins collection.

Approaching: norns

some supercollider content here.

Lissajous implemented with ScopeView in a GUI, driven with some generative six operator fm

I agree an that book when i bought it from PACKT gave me like 9 chapters of examples

Anyone using suoercollider with modular synth? I have an expert-sleepers es-3 which I use with max. But I think using it with supercollider would definitely bring different results.

Did a bit google research a while ago but couldn’t find much on this topic. Maybe I searched for the wrong keywords.

I would be happy to know a bit about how you use supercollider with your modular. Also some code examples would be nice!

I’d like to try this as well. I would envision using SuperCollider’s pattern library to control a very simple synth that sends out DC control voltages. Shouldn’t be too hard.

This might help, if you haven’t read it:

There is a more musical example using the same technique here: https://youtu.be/HhB_t4gtI74 and you can also use Ndef to great effect. Blog post about that here: http://blog.carltesta.net/post/51941723555/some-very-low-key-live-coding-with-the-modular

Why are you using K2A.ar on UGENS that are already audio rate?

Eh, it’s old code. Didn’t know that much :wink: I was probably doing something with actual control rate ugens earlier in that session and then changed to audio rate. Feel free to get rid of those.

I’ve been having so much fun with AUv3 plugins on iOS. Such an immediate and tactile environment. I find myself going there before using any other tools at my disposal because of the immediacy. It’s got me thinking about how to leverage open source audio programming resources to build new AUv3 plugins. Libpd is an obvious choice but I’ve generally found that I get better results more efficiently in Supercollider than with Pd.

Long preamble to: I wonder if this could be made to work on iOS?

Edit: hmm, or this…