Sway

Very cool, Carl! I have a Norns en route and look forward to messing with this!

1 Like

Thanks! I look forward to hearing what you make with it!

1 Like

@carltesta – this script is amazing. Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/charlie-gilb-107384045/wayst

3 Likes

@CharlieGilb, thank you! This is truly beautiful. I was initially hesitant to share Sway because it was more like a personal musical composition than a general musical tool. But to hear these creations out in the world is very special. It’s almost like this script is inspiring music I want to hear. Thanks for sharing!

9 Likes

Releasing is definitely the right decision. Also if you have not yet read Jennie Gottschalk’s Experimental Music since 1970 there’s a section about instrument makers as composers. I feel this concept applies to things like Sway.

5 Likes

I’m expecting a crow next week and plan to integrate it into the Sway patch for norns. Do folks have any ideas on how it should be integrated? My initial thoughts include the following options:

• CV outs for averaged analysis data (clarity, density, amplitude)
  • CV outs for x,y position on grid
  • CV trigger out when position moves into a new quadrant

anything else?

2 Likes

Let’s see, you get 4 outs so I’d probably go with something like:

1. x position
  2. y position
  3. bonus thing, something special?
  4. Proximity to Center (as an absolute value)

I think if I had those I could wire up 4 different effects patches and crossfade them accordingly.

I also think your initial thoughts are great too.

These are great! I was thinking I could also put them in the parameters menu and then folks could choose what data goes to what output.

4 Likes

20 characters of brilliant solution. :slight_smile:

Also, kinda wanna map an Arc to those 4 parameters…

3 Likes

Could you explain that a bit more? You want to see the values of the parameters on the Arc’s leds? Or somehow control those parameters via Arc?

Personally, I will probably work on modifying the script to allow the Arc to actually override/change the parameters (mostlyjust X and Y axis values).

I understand that is probably counter to the original purpose of Sway, but for me, adding that level of control while still having the cycling fx on each axis could make for a compelling compositional tool.

2 Likes

Ah yes, of course. That makes a lot of sense. It’d be great if you could pull request your changes when you do as I don’t have an Arc and wouldn’t be able to test it out.

1 Like

Arcify makes adding Arc control over parameters super easy. It’s only a matter of a handful of lines of code.

@beepboop I just put together a vanilla SC version tonight. This is very rough around the edges but it should work! This is available as a branch of the norns version.

1 Like

Oh man, I saw you play a few years back at the library in Santa Monica, and I’ve been thinking about this patch ever since! Don’t have a norns, and my SC chops aren’t up, but I’m exited to look into it!

1 Like

Whoa! Awesome that you were there! The patch didn’t quite work for that performance, haha, but this should be relatively simple to get going. Let me know if you have any questions.

This is so cool, @carltesta! I’ve been experimenting with threshold settings for piano and other keyboard sound inputs. The processed output is often mysterious (but exciting). Can you provide (or point me to) a little more info about each of the built-in processing types? Reverb, delay, amp mod, freeze, pitchbend, filter, textural and cascade…Can I access their parameters within Sway, such as delay time, sample capture sizes for textural and cascade, etc, beyond the threshold settings that trigger them? If not, what are their default settings? I’m especially eager to get more understanding of the textural and cascade processes, because I’m finding they can spiral out of control in my hands. Thanks for this inspiring creation!

Hi @tnelson ! So the immediate averaged values of the density, clarity, and amplitude determine the values of the parameters like delay time, feedback, etc. You can see how those linkages are connected here: http://carltesta.net/files/analysis_parameters.pdf

Starting at line 229 sway/Norns_Sway.sc at master · carltesta/sway · GitHub you can see how the analysis values are mapped onto the various parameters. For example, amplitude values between 0 and 30 will change the frequency of amplitude modulation from 1 to 14hz. And amplitude values between 0 and 30 will change the reverb size from 0.3 to 1. You can switch the relationship by turning polarity on.

I could make up a chart that lists all the default values but that will take me some time. The best way to experiment with it is to turn grid analysis off and then manually select a processing type and then play in different ways (with density/sparseness, with pitch/noise, with loudness/quiet) to hear how the processing changes.

I’m happy to answer any other questions. Thanks for the interest.

1 Like

Thanks, @carltesta!! This is quite a sonic Wonderland to explore!