Sylvan Esso - Free Love

My band Sylvan Esso announced our new record today, it’s called Free Love and it’ll be out September 25th.

Here’s the teaser, which came out on Friday:

And here’s the first single, Ferris Wheel:

Thanks as always to the whole lines community for the endless inspiration & generosity, y’all are the best.

116 Likes

Ah, super exciting! I love all the resonant skronk in the percussion on Ferris Wheel.

4 Likes

what if is just fantastic
love the way it was filmed!

6 Likes

I lol’ed at 2:32 in Ferris Wheel. I’d love to hear what the directors notes were for that scene.

Also, the whole track is excellent, awesome work!

5 Likes

Super excited! Congratulations on the new album!

1 Like

amazzing work absolutely love this

2 Likes

Congratulations on the release. Loving the first single and looking forward to digging into the rest soon.

2 Likes

Wishing you even more continued success, y’all are such a creative breath of fresh air in this genre. Looking forward to the release :sparkles:

4 Likes

always a joy - and such a great video for FW. excited for this!

1 Like

Yall are a great band! When you came through the venue I was at in 2015, everyone working there became an instant fan. We would spin your LP in our side bar on repeat :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Amelia has got moves!

2 Likes

Love these two tracks and both videos. As an album kinda person I am super excited to hear more.

3 Likes

you two always impress
looking forward to hearing the rest of it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

v excited! both vids are so cool.

“what if” video is a very nice reminder that waves are REALLY PRETTY :ocean:

3 Likes

Super excited for this. Ferris wheel is a jam.

@madeofoak do you mind sharing what is being used on the vocals in What If? Is that a harmonizer, or pitch to V/O? Love the character of it.

1 Like

it’s essentially just two instances of ableton’s vocoder. I duplicated amelia’s main vocal track twice (so three total tracks); one is the main clean vocal, one is that same track but through the vocoder with the top bands tamed down, and then (starting at the line “oh life / dying out”) the third track is the vocal pitched down an octave and then vocoded with the same synth as the other vocoder track, and run through the stock ableton saturator. the carrier is stupidly simple, just ableton’s ‘analog’ synth with two saws and no filter. oh and i turned on the portamento when the second vocoder comes in to make it feel like it’s loosening up.

i really love the stock vocoder in ableton, it’s so flexible. i’ve been using this trick of doubling the modulator with a pitched down instance of itself for a while and highly recommend trying it out - ableton’s different algorithms all provide slightly different colors in this context, but i also do the same thing using soundtoys’ little alter boy plugin.

27 Likes

Ahhhhh thank you. Can’t wait to try this!

1 Like

also, my guess from the tracklist is that “Ring” is gonna be a total banger based on the tension “What If” builds/leaves unresolved :thinking:

1 Like

Does this album feature any novel/new/dangerous/ridiculous/funny new techniques on your part?

And of course, congratulations to both of you. The album has un-sucked 2020 enough to make it a bit more bearable.

2 Likes

Great stuff. My wife and two daughter (9 & 12) love your music. We particularly loved the Tiny Desk you recently did for home.

3 Likes