Sylvan Esso Tiny desk concert

Just spotted this…a lot of monome and norns!!!
Nice to see the tools used for more pop oriented music!!!

45 Likes

This got posted as an ‘interesting tiny studio’ thing in the Tiny Studio thread a couple of days ago, and I immediately had to watch their NPR live tiny desk performance as well. It lives here:

7 Likes

This is beautiful, just the right thing for me tonight. When Sylvan Esso laughed after the second song while everyone clapped, I was reminded of a (possibly apocryphal) story of Beethoven improving in front of an audience, bringing them to tears, and then laughing hard.

1 Like

Such a lovely duo. I’ve been listening to their Tiny Desk concerts ever since I run across them earlier today (I think it was a FB post actually). Anyway, great to see such a good use of good instrumentation.

2 Likes

@bassik, we went down a bit of a rabbit hole on the Disquiet Junto Slack detailing Nick’s various projects, so definitely check out Made of Oak, Rosenau & Sandborn, and Cedar AV (with @lettersonsounds)

5 Likes

thanks so much for the kind words, everyone!

26 Likes

Oh man, you are that guy in the video! And he is you! I just put that together. Dude, whatever oscillator(s) you’re got wired up in that rig speak directly to my soul. Sounds so goooooood!

4 Likes

Whilst I love recorded output this session is perfect to me. Something raw and emotional that I love. Thank you @madeofoak

3 Likes

Nick posted details in the tiny studio thread - for anyone who missed it:

5 Likes

Thanks, this was awesome!

Also - I just watched this live show, hinted in the end of the Tiny Desk (Home) Concert posted above:

So good!

@madeofoak So happy to have discovered your band on lines! BTW I totally agree with you re: your drummer’s “shaker + floor tom-pattern + triplet-behind-the-beat melody accent” skills 40:38 in. :open_mouth:

3 Likes