Synths That Can Morph Presets/Settings

I’ve been thinking about synths that can morph presets/settings lately. I know that preset morphing and settings are two different ideas, but I’m lumping them into one topic here because the end result is somewhat similar.

While I’ve never used one, the Nord Modular seems great at this. What are some of the others that you know about and use? I’ll start:

HARDWARE:

• Nord Modular
  • Arturia PolyBrute (morphing can be built into every patch)
  • Some of the DaveSmith/Sequential synths if you use 3rd party editors

SOFTWARE:

• Reaktor Ensembles - Blocks don’t use their built in preset morphing, but the free ToyBox Macro Presets block can morph knob settings.
  • FXspansion Cypher and Strobe (implemented really well IMO with morphing and smoothed transitions)
  • Max (powerful if you use the pattr objects)
  • Ableton Live using Max4Live devices?
  • Bitwig using macro modulators?

What else am I missing?

2 Likes

Sequential Pro 3 now has patch morphing. I played with it a bit and it was pretty cool

1 Like

If you’re interested in modular intellijel shapeshifter has some interesting preset morphing.

1 Like

the er-301’s hold mode lets you morph between presets :smiley:

3 Likes

I believe (aka remember from 12(?) years ago) that automat by alphakanal was the first synth i used that had the feature. You could slide between any 2 presets continuously, plus the synth itself was incredibly powerful & feature rich. Seems that alphakanal is no more, but you can still find the synth with wayback machine here.

3 Likes

Thought of another good one: FM8

3 Likes

Sonic Charge Microtonic.

3 Likes

Sonic Potions LXR drumsynth… Very cool feature on drums

7 Likes

Hardware: Motas-6. Octatrack, in a sense, with its crossfader.

Software: Alchemy has that snapshot morpher that can work pretty similarly.

8 Likes

All Industrial Music Electronics mk3 hardware (depending on what you mean by “morph”)

3 Likes

I think preset morphing, or what they call ‘sound genetics’, is baked in to how Synplant operates.

3 Likes

Morph on a Gotharman Polyspaze is a great feature

3 Likes

Sound tower editor for DSI Evolver (and Tetra…and probably a few others). People hated the software editor but I loved it for this reason!

2 Likes

Yeah it UI is rough but I dig that morph function too. The end result is another static preset though right? I don’t think you can morph away and back from an active one?

1 Like

The Black Corporation stuff can’t do it directly, but their software editors can.

EDIT: not a synth, but the Lexicon Vortex can morph not just parameters but the actual underlying algorithms. One of the best effects units of all time once you get the hang of it.

4 Likes

was going to mention the vortex as well. real freaky unit.

yamaha AN1X
and the more recent MODX and montage

2 Likes

Came here to mention Gotharman, whose morph options (which blend between two layers) are really cool. I’ll add that there are two distinct morph features in the current devices, one covering parameter values and the other sequencer values. Modulating the morph between two discrete sequences can yield remarkable results.

3 Likes

ASM Hydrasynth has powerful VST editors like Hydramorph and Sigabort MIDIsynth-editor.

For eurorack, there’s also Emblematic Systems Catalyst

2 Likes

It’s not exactly what you’re asking but I love MI Frames for this kind of thing. Obviously you need some stuff to plug it into, and you can’t save that much onto it (one set of keyframes with stock fw and five with parasites iirc) but it’s the closest I’ve felt to having presets in euro!

3 Likes

Yeah that sounds pretty great.