Teenage Engineering OP-Z

As you state a multichannel mode would basically require hardcoding some default MIDI channel number choices like using 1-4.

Things could be made more configurable by leveraging teletype - but that requires a second piece of hardware to configure features which in my opinion is not great from a design standpoint and bad from a karma standpoint. That said there are a few features of the midi arp mode that are only accessible via ii commands…

I do see some value in a 4 channel mode with pitch and gate out and well as a 2 channel mode with gate, pitch, some cc, and a note off trigger.

The front panel buttons are already heavily overloaded with combos. IIRC the logic to save midi mode configuration is a button combo that flashes the mode light to provide feedback.

oh i just realized there already a 4 voice mode preset to channels 1-4 - how did i miss that?? cool.

continuing the ansible midi convo here:

I’d have to agree with you here.

Really enjoying the lack of screen as well. Since I am an android user, I had no option but to learn the device without a display from the start. It feels very well thought out and intuitive to me. I’ve been using mine since late october.

Haven’t had much issue syncing with other devices I own. My favorite little rig that I’ve been toying with is Digitakt + OP-Z + 0-Coast.

lil follow up on my op-z + ansible exploration:

1. default setting = op-z “drum” tracks are midi channels 1-4. in the current firmware the drum tracks do not respond to the octave + - buttons. so, as things stand, if you want to use the first 4 tracks of the op-z to sequence midi, you’ll need some octave control on your instrument. if you need octave control on the op-z you can reassign the midi channels in a config file on the op-z if you boot it in disk mode. so you could make the synth tracks midi channels 1-4, drum 5-8, and then you’ll have octave settings.

2. i’m getting some sort of bug where ansible inverts the gate output sometimes. so the tr output will hang high and when a new note comes in it’ll turn off for the length of the note. might have something to do with incoming midi notes overlapping? also happens some times when the sequencer is stopped and started quickly. this is a bigger problem i’m going to keep troubleshooting.

Probably a naive question - would future firmware updates be able to make the OP-Z appear as a sound card to a computer? It would be cool if I could hook it up to my DAW and see each track as an input for multi-track recording. My guess is - no, but…was interested if any smart hardware people had input based on the handful of teardown videos / blog posts that have popped up.

i am not very smart but my guess is also no, given how it’s taken elektron well over a year to add that to digitakt (assuming they literally did not start on it before announcing the feature). would love to be wrong

I’ve heard different :slight_smile:

I really appreciate this exploration-- thanks so much

Oh, I didn’t know that was a feature of Digitakt, cool.

not out yet! still in closed beta. it’s called “overbridge” if you want to look into it

Anyone want to share any current OP-Z experimentations?

Something fun I was toying with the other night. Not super well thought out, but was fun having everything play nicely with ableton in between!

Mine should be arriving Thursday! I currently plan on combining it with my eurorack and Trying to decide how much I want to spend on a midi-cv module. I plan on the Opz being the master clock. I am Leaning towards an fh-1 because of pricepoint but the hermod and polyend is looking pretty ace. Any euro users have any recommendations?

It’s funny I got into euro to get away from midi but I have now come full circle :o: :wink:

Really looking forward to getting my hands on this!

Skip the FH-1, go for the Hermod. It has better interfacing options and much easier to use.

Hermod is what I was thinking of snagging. How are you using it with the OP-Z? Are you able to send clock as well?

For eurorack intergration I’ve been using Shuttle Control and really like it. Its come a long way since it first came out; Being able to modify the setup from a web browser interface and output directly to the module from the browser (usb connected) is a great way to work through, what can be, a complicated and large array of options.

I posted this in the tracks thread a month or 2 ago, shuttle control + opZ
Graphics are a custom opZ pack I made in unity

are the drums programmed on the op-z as well? Did you play them live to achieve the loose/swung timing?

Beautiful track btw :slight_smile:

Thanks! :beers: Yes the drums are straight from the opz. I played them live, but then made some adjustments/shifts. Also of note - the beat is just one bar with lots of step components, as well as the tape track messing things around.

That looks great. Nice work.

I’m mildly tempted by an OP-Z just for the viz stuff. I guess it depends on the CV expander and how how much control that allows.

you can get into it right away with a free copy of unity and the videolab pack on github.
videlab will work with any midi / cc sending device.

but the z is a very fun sequencer!

@grey thank you! I’m curious about a CV expander too – not sure how it could outdo a good midi>cv module tho, in terms of the amount of outputs and configurations.

@shellfritsch That’s very true! Opz wise, I’m a fan of the unity>videopak>opz pipeline. You don’t need to officially publish unity scenes or use a mac, which is nice if you dont have one! Pushing the videopaks to iphone is very fast/easy too.