Teenage Engineering OP-Z

I’m not sure what the difference is, but you are definitely correct about the drum samples (per key). I found loading samples to be somewhat annoying, but they’re definitely fun to play with once on the Z!

Step effects on glitchy samples, drum breaks, etc!

1 Like

How are people finding the synth engines after a while? Amazing, serviceable or they get old? Is using samples effortless?

I guess the sequencer is pretty much what sells people on this device, but I’d very much like it to be a rewarding groovebox in and of itself… Would love to hear how people like it as one.

0 Likes

I find the synth engines serviceable. They aren’t super deep (ala Electribe), but there’s enough variance between them so that they don’t get too old. Probably won’t be doing crazy sound design with them, but it’s not quite just presets either. Having the filters per synth engine as opposed to being an effect really helps.

I’ve found adding samples isn’t too hard. Just takes a little time. Still holding out hope that they will add sampling to the Z, but a part of me realizes that may never happen.

One thing that I’d like to see, is the ability to change the types of each track. Like if I don’t want to use the arp track, but would rather have another lead or bass track or something.

16 Likes

Thanks for the opinion - I appreciate the fact that you’re not cheerleading for the OP-Z, it’s very very helpful that way :slight_smile:

For the time being, I sunk my money into OTO fx, maybe I’ll revisit this later. It does seem like a very fun little tool.

0 Likes

Yes thanks @doublecoolbossman and @rbeny!
Happy to hear more OP-Z opinions and experiences from anyone willing to share.

0 Likes

There is a drum utility made by Steve Duda that is available for free download that should help with the formatting. Not sure if you’re aware of it here !

2 Likes

the synth engine is decent to good imo, the ability to randomize the presets then saving them really helps finding good sounds.

2 Likes

I’ll echo this sentiment on the synth sounds. Definitely not insane, but if pressed I’d say they are good. I think there’s some really sweet spots.

With all that I agree with @rbeny. I find myself really wanting more of certain track types. If I could make every track a chord track I’d probably buy a second.

5 Likes

It does look like there is space available for any further effects that will be developed by TE. But the reverb is a little different than the spring.

1 Like

Ive had my op-z for a day and a half now and I am loving it. Although the synths do have macros, not a full range of parameters, with the filter and lfo section you can get some great sounds. The filters resonance is pretty nice!

Although there are fewer parameters to tweak within the engine the parameter locking can let you get some complex step to step changes! In that sense, the op-z is super accessible. I feel like sometimes within a DAW I have some interesting ideas about panning, reverb, and filter to direct an instrument around in 3D space within my mix, but it takes a long time to automate these parameters.

Everything is at my fingertips with the op-z I love it! I guess step sequencing is a much better fit for my playing style.

The punch in effects are really fun to experiment with, as well are the step components. Haven’t messed around with the tape yet, although I think it seems more playable than the tape effects on the op-1! Very happy with this little unit so far.

Edit: Forgot to mention I learned the Op-Z purely from reading the manual and watching a video or two! Totally doable with out the screen.

8 Likes

I think the track types are a quiet way of pulling the reigns on the processor. I’ve had tracks start dropping notes on full/busy 8 track compositions. If every track was a chord track with decent note release times the Z probably wouldnt keep up.

1 Like

http://gerotakke.de/op-z-sample/

Here’s a good tool for converting to the sampler format. Before I found this I was creating the aif file in audacity then loading into op-1 and saving again there to make it compatible with the op-z. Otherwise the samples would not load. Not sure why it was this way as the drum tracks I did not have to do any extra steps with. The op-1 drum utility will work fine for drum samples.

3 Likes

Does anyone know of any Max4Live sequencers that have OP-Z step components type capabilities?

I use Rozzer with Live 9, but it is not Live 10 compatible. Live 10 has its own native M4L sequencer that is similar enough, but what I am looking for is things like probability based ramp up / step repeat stuff.

0 Likes

New Firmware released today!

https://teenage.engineering/downloads/op-z

• allow programming steps with external controller

• support velocity on arpeggiator track

• change step length setting 9x to be 16x long

• add full octave range to drum tracks

• pass incoming midi start/continue/stop to other ports

• improved stability

• copy step now works on all tracks

• change default tape volume and reverb parameter 2

• fix noisy resampling in synth sampler

• keep sending audio to fx1/fx2 if audio muted

• improve midi continue behaviour (works better with OP-1)

• change maximum recording note length based on step length

• show pattern position from solo mute context (same as pattern context)

• properly reset parameters after releasing shift (temporary tweak mode)

• “enable_program_change” setting now saved between reboots

• don’t play trigger driven tracks when muted

• gate trigger step component trigger on entering step instead of exiting

• fix hanging notes from linked tracks when pressing shift before releasing note

• fix hanging punch in notes when releasing shift before releasing note

• remove track clear wipe animation

11 Likes

have had an OP-Z for a month now and really, really love it. Perfect for subway bleeps and bloops. Check out my mobile sound setup!

7 Likes

The OPZ lab module is out.

https://teenage.engineering/products/op-z/modules/oplab

Still trying to figure out seq. drums with OPZ through Anisble to control drum modules. Wouldn’t the USB-C to USB-A midi work here?

8 Likes

Doesn’t ansible MIDI mode only send out one CV+gate? Don’t think you can send out multiple gates with it

0 Likes

On Ansible manual.

Allocation style 3: MULTI

4 pairs of CV/TR mapped in simple MONO pitch/gate outputs responding to MIDI channels 1-4.

Allocation style 4: FIXED

TR mapped to notes C4, D4, E4, F4 (60,62,64,65).

CV mapped to CC 16,17,18,19

Enter learning mode by holding Key 1 and pressing preset (all CV/TR will clear). As unique notes and/or CC messages are received they are mapped to the next available CV/TR output respectively. Once all outputs are mapped all LEDs will go out. Press Key 1 (panic) to cancel learning.

seems like you could with multi mode get 4 channels of gates/triggers and CV? Assign them to the 4 drum tracks on the OP-Z. That would be hot.

Just lost at how to get that going through OPZ menus.

1 Like

you have to admire TE enthusiasm…

“it features three cv outs and one gate out, all programmable and playable from OP-Z. have your wall of modules sequenced from the palm of your hands.”

you’re going to sequence a WALL of modules with 3CV + 1 GATE,
also if you have a wall of modules, its hardly portable, why do you need a palm size controller.

don’t get me wrong, I think its a really cool thing to be used with modular, very useful - I just found the hyperbole amusing … or perhaps in sweden they have very small walls :wink:

15 Likes

To setup the OPZ for this, you’ll have to connect it to a computer and modify a config file to change channel numbers.

I no longer have my OPZ, but I briefly experimented with this, and found that Ansible and/or the OPZ would mix up the incoming sequences (ie whatever was happening on channel four would interrupt channels 1,2, and 3). I got a loud high pitched sound from the audio out of the OPZ as well.

Thinking back, it may have been from plugging it into ansible directly. I imagine the OPZ tries to pull power from ansible over USB, so I wonder if an external power solution like Offworld etc would work better.

0 Likes