Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Calling the TE nerds that have both an OP Z and the OP 1. These two sequencers are different,right?
Without having worked extensively with either, my guess is that the OP Z is way more powerful😳 or are they the same? Asking for that same friend😎

1 Like

Very different! Z’s is like a fancier XOX type of a sequencer with a bunch of triggers and the ability to modify length of multiple concurrent tracks. Op-1 has a few different types of sequencers, all of which are great creative partners but maybe tougher to get a particular more normal or expected result

1 Like

OP-1 has some pretty interesting sequencers, but for the most part, they don’t really let you save multiple patterns (with the exception of the Finger sequencer). You end up putting patterns down on tape and then you don’t really have much of a way to tweak the pattern any further.

If you’re interested in sequencing, I really think you want the Z.

2 Likes

Alright thnx…i‘ll look into OP 1 sequencers a bit further then. The Seq of the Z seems conceptually based around Electron Seqs in a good way

The op-z and op-1 lend themselves to completely different ways of making music. While I loved the op-1, I’ve found the z much more fun to pick up and jam on. It’s more immediately gratifying. I’ve never really been a sequencer guy, but I love using the z.

3 Likes

I have not tried that. Even with all the outputs, I still run out every time! I tend to use a bunch for clock divisions.

Just in case its not common knowledge, the software is in a much better place since the initial launch. With shuttle control hooked up to your computer (via usb) you can use the web browser editor to make all the changes you want, (same as always), additionally, you can also send those changes to the shuttle control module from right in the browser. This is really great for testing, not having to separately update shuttle control every time you make a change, really makes the workflow for editing your setup seamless.

1 Like

Is there something special about shuttle control’s clock divisions capabilities that has you using them over a dedicated module?

no, just space in my little case

Thanks for the info!
What cable are you using from the opz to shuttle control

I’m using the supplied opz cable.

1 Like

Thanks! Can’t wait to try it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Totally!
Here’s a longer version that’s braided. The opz one is like 1m.

cable

1 Like

These little guys are super handy for when you want to use the Z with a USB mini/micro/type-B cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BK2XL2F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Since updating to the latest firmware my OP-Z freezes every time I try to connect to the app.

I tried forgetting the Bluetooth connection and reconnecting but the issue persists.

I’ve seen some other people mention this issue but generally seemed to get fixed by forgetting the existing device connection.

Anyone else experience this and find another solution?

Due to some birthday good fortune, I’ve now got an OP-Z!

Now I need to briefly be angry and explain my biggest disappointment… The axle holes on the back are not spaced in proper Lego units!

Anyway… otherwise it’s good stuff. I spent the first ~30 mins being utterly baffled, then another ~30 mins with the app on my phone, still being quite baffled. After that I sat down and tried to understand it properly… and it’s been pretty smooth sailing, I found the following cheatsheets really helpful.

So far I’ve got my head round: projects, patterns, editing parameters, parameter locks, step components (love these), punch-in effects, effects, performance mode, the mixer, the metronome. In fact I’ve been really surprise how easy a lot of it has been to learn, especially using the cheatsheets.

I’ve hardly used the phone app, I always planned on weening myself of it eventually, but I’m surprised at how easy it is to learn your way around the device without it.

Things that I’d still like to get my head round…

• Chain mode
  • The tape
  • The master track / transpose
  • General cutting and pasting of patterns (can already do steps)

Things that I’ve noticed that I might like to be changed:

• No track solo
  • Gain staging 8 tracks can be tricky, though it’s much better than the OP-1
  • No step components in performance mode
  • Step components interact weirdly with longer notes

It’s hard to really bothered about these, it’s a well thought out device (so long as you buy into it’s premise).

(answering my own question here…)

So the reverb is quite ‘springy’, it’s not the same as the OP-1, and with the addition of the filter you can make it a lot less springy at the expense of long reverb times. In my limited testing you can get it to do a short tail roomish reverb to glue things together. Seriously any forum members in Stockholm, can you take the TE engineers down the pub and over (many) beers explain to them the virtues of a good 1980s hall reverb.

(I also really want some DMX gear now…)

Does anyone else have any other cheatsheets / PDFs they’d like to share for the OP-Z? I’m going to be travelling with it soon and it would be nice to have something that I can use offline.

So far I’ve got:

3 Likes

That op-z quick reference sheet is the best one I’ve seen yet. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

firmware update!

https://www.teenageengineering.com/downloads/op-z

• now supporting two midi devices when using a powered USB hub

• improved compatibility with a number of usb devices

• improved usb midi throughput (reduce risk of lost notes)

• handle importing WAV and AIF files without meta data to synth tracks

• fix crash when connecting to app with certain patterns active

• fix synth sampler noise bug with certain samples

• more descriptive error messages in sample import

• add general.json setting to latch notes using shift. Release notes while holding shift to latch (latch_notes_with_shift)

• add general.json setting to disable auto-added FX A when applying temporary parameter tweaks (temp_param_add_fx_a)

10 Likes

Ah this one makes me so happy. It’s not that it was hard get this to work otherwise, but it was one of those things that I did just infrequently enough that I’d forget and have to ramp up on every darn time I wanted to do it again.

Huge update! stoked on that.

Forgot to update mine before I made this video but… still fun anyways. I really love this machine and the way it forces me to create music. I’ve never been a big fan of sequencing but having the option to easily play some stuff live, and sequence other parts has opened up some amazing possibilities.

1 Like

I’m borrowing a Shuttle Control at the moment, trying to evaluate it for use with the OP-Z and I’ve figured out most of the things I wanted out of it, but now I’m stumped on one last part…

I’d really like to use the OP-Z with the Shuttle Control and at the same time also use a Keystep (routed to the Z). So my takeaway from the Shuttle Control manual is that despite having two USB-A ports, it can only have a USB data connection over one at a time, so I couldn’t plug both in as devices.

But the OP-Z can act as a MIDI host, right? So I tried plugging it into the Shuttle Control’s USB-B port which is supposed to be for Mac/PC/iPad (and anything that supports USB OTG and MIDI devices). So it seems to me like that should work, but it doesn’t. Should it? I also tried plugging the OP-Z into an iPad Pro, but then it seems to go into disk mode or something (kick drum track LED pulses, knob lights are on and nothing else).

Can anyone shed any light on this? I’m pretty sold on the Shuttle Control, but I’d really like to be able to record sequences by playing on the Keystep while the tracks play through the modular. I’d like to avoid having to buy the Endorphines Shuttle Mate on top of it all.