Teenage Engineering OP-Z

B&H product page still mentions CV… maybe the 4 outputs are assignable/configurable?

Late reply but, the frozen in time package of the nord modular editor for mac exists:

good to know

can officially cross it off my wish list

The yellow things are still there, based on this Instagram video posted about week ago on the TE account: https://www.instagram.com/p/Be79Nk3AgGD/

(This was pointed out to me on the OP-1 forum.)

wow, computering gets funny when capitalism is broken and cleverness is the only thing left. Thanks for this reference. I’ll take a 550MB app to interact with modular hardware any day.

Some interesting new revelations in this video. The guy from TE mentions that he used a MIDI mixer board to control levels and filters on 8 different channels on the OP-Z. Sounds like its got very flexible MIDI routing capabilities.

Also, those four yellow jacks in the back are for expander modules to be released sometime in the future.

He also mentioned continuing to use OP-1 for sampling. Really wish they’d reveal all the I/O details.

in this video he also shows the yellow jacks on the back can be lego connectors… for some reason…

cuckoo, when asked what would he use as a portable notepad, said: “if it involves recording an audio track: the OP-1. If sequencing multi track: OP-Z.”

kind of a bummer.

Sadly, I‘m getting less excited with every update they provide. The sample engines and the tape are what make the OP-1 so great imho.

in that last video, I wonder what he means when he says

“…you can sequence unity projects, you can upload up to 10 projects”

Probably just 10 different mappings, or patterns to sequence (track data?) – but he says “upload” which is interesting. What would you upload? – Is the mapping done in unity on the computer side, then some sort of opz file is saved and sent to the opz?

looking forward to the Unity integration. Apparently the communication goes both ways. Imagine using collisions from the physics engine to create note events… OP-1’s tombola sequencer times infinity.

ahh cool – I’m trying to figure it out a little before release so I can hit the ground running. Was that posted somewhere?

this is from https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-z

those patching nodes look similar to the ones in Keijiro’s Klak library, but if you are totally new to Unity, that could actually be a pretty confusing point of entry.

Ahh yes. I am totally new to unity, and am just trying to learn the basics. So far getting a rigged asset out of the 3d package and into unity with separate animation applied (and scaled correctly!), has been my biggest achievement. :smile:

I would like to do something character centered, so I am going to play with the anim blend trees (mechAnim I guess?) later on.

If I can use the opZs sequencer to create some interesting fakey AI-ish behaviors, that would be fantastic.

I’ll start with just playing some premade animations tho, and see how far I get. I’m not into scripting so whatever I make will be really simple (I guess) and that’s fine. One step at a time. :slight_smile:

ah yes… I think there is a lot of cool stuff you could do with characters too! i hope they’ll expose a lot of parameters through their Unity SDK… would be cool to be able to have the velocity of a character’s limb open and close a filter or something like that :stuck_out_tongue:

Check out the work of eran hilleli :blush:
Everything he does is boooootiful. I remember there was something he did with a korg nanocontrol and some characters.

@freqout Yes!! the bidirectional interaction is something I haven’t put too much though into yet, but its probably one of the most significant parts! – going to be super fun I hope. :slight_smile:

@jacobino definitely! His pictoplasma talk was great. I’m a big fan of his work!

looking ahead, I’m trying to figure out what’s the best ‘thing’ to eventually run the unity scene on. An ios device could probably run it (too early to tell, nothing to run yet!) but just at first glance it seems a little bit of a pain to port the unity scene to ios (no mac for me). It would be nice to be able to use the op1 and unity scene without my desktop PC around tho!

not having a Mac is going to be a pretty big barrier I think :frowning:

the only way for you to build to an iOS device without one is using Unity’s Cloud Build service, which is kind of a pain. there isn’t enough info out there on the Unity integration yet to say whether it will be possible at all (or just difficult) to communicate with a PC, but it seems that the communication takes place over BTLE, which strikes me as the kind of thing that could have a very platform-specific implementation.

Hrm that’s a bummer. I thought I might be able to avoid using a mac if I didnt need to actually get the unity bit on the ios app store. Possibly testing with unity remote and the saving files to load in the opZ app. I need to learn more there.