Teenage Engineering OP-Z

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by ‘newer iPod’, but if you have an iPod touch (6th generation) then you can download the OP-Z app from the App Store for free and give it a try.

i got mine yesterday as well and played with it in bed last night (so tiny!!). i think it’s pretty brilliant and sounds amazing.

btw the first four tracks, the drum tracks, are all samples that can be swapped out (maybe the FX track too?). i’ll probably change at least a couple of them to have more melodic tracks to work with. you can do this easily with the op-1 but if you don’t have an op-1, someone on the operator forum made this edit tool so you can get chromatic samples working on the Z drum tracks.

operator one thread

I made this thing sequencing only a single step (yes, it’s only a single step looping by itself) and using step components.

Should I get this AND an op-1 would this be a good travel set?

That was one of the first things I did! I used the drum utility - but this tool seems very handy thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Is there probability? I assumed there was for a long time, but after digging through the manual it seems like that was left out. I wish it had probability- I’ve really gotten used to that feature after kria and digitakt and would love to have something like that in such a small sequencer.

That was this first thing i looked for too, its not there.
Some step component alternatives are setting a trig to:
Play every Nth pass
Have a random chance to trig per pass.
Have other trigs set to randomly jump over the trig you want to not play
Etc.

So ther are plenty of cool things, n]but not quite probability. another one I find i’m missing is like the “play every nth time” but instead i wish i could “NOT play every nth time”.

It is very cool tho, and the spark components work independently, so you can set the step component effect to have it own play rules, vs the actual trig rule etc.

I love the compactness, but I’ve not been interested in step-sequencing basically at all in probably over a decade. I’m hoping with OS updates it might become more tempting. I love my OP1, and given its flexibility in a small package, it’d be one of the last things I’d ever sell despite not using it much the last few years. As a result, I’m a big believer in TE’s approach and sensibility despite being hesitant to buy the OPZ. That’s why I’m always sort of keeping one eye on it. Maybe at some point it’ll make sense depending on how it evolves.

Oh didn’t realize there was random trig- thought there was only random note (not something I’d use).
Can’t complain really… so many fun and creative features. Different lengths for each track is sooo nice.

Just to clarify, The four synth tracks(5-8) can have OP-1 synth sampler files on them, the tool you linked is for those tracks. For the drum tracks, a tool already exists called OP-1 Drum Utility.

If you own an OP-1, you can drag and drop the appropriate files straight to the Z, no conversion/tools required. I have had some samples not work, likely due to sample loop points being too short(they are preserved from the OP-1 sample and can’t be changed in the Z).

ah i see! i misread that original post and thought you couldn’t get chromatic samples at all unless you have an op1.

Thank you. Very cool. I had an op1 (I had to sell it in a less than comfortable moment) and I saved everything. So… :star_struck:

Got my OP-Z in Wednesday and have been pretty impressed. So complex for such a tiny machine. Curious if anyone has figured out the microphone. I’ve read the manual and can see that the mic is working, but it doesn’t really say what you can do with the microphone. As far as I can tell, it’s not recording the audio to any track. Anyone figured this out yet?

https://teenageengineering.com/guides/op-z/microphone

I’ve read the user guide and I’m stumped too. Does it record to the Tape buffer in Microphone mode? Or maybe it’s just an audio pass-through thing that one can apply FX to like a Mr. Microphone?

I just ordered an OP-Z, but I expect it’s going to be a while before it ships and I can test this for myself.

Didn’t even think to test the Tape track, but no. It didn’t recorded there either. It’s definitely going through the FX though. Maybe it is just a live thing. Hopefully they add a sample record mode, like the PO-33, in a future update.

Can the OP-Z sequencer handle asynchronous tracks?

They are all synced but you can just play in your notes real-time and leave them unquantized.

Ah, thanks. Gotcha. x20

Woah can you explain how you did this? I was under the impression that we were waiting on a MIDI/CV out module!

This is beautiful, really takes advantage of step components! Need to try.

They haven’t really been great about getting info out about this device. I’ve emailed with some TE folks as well as beta testers and it seems that right now all you can do with the mic is use it live (if you lift the OP-Z to your face while it’s on you’ll see a green LED beside the mic light up) but there seems to be the implication that maybe some kind of update could change this in the future.

Certainly! The CV module is for folks who don’t already have a USB MIDI-to-CV module (like the Hermod or FH-2).

The OP-Z, like the OP-1, constantly broadcasts MIDI output data over its USB cable. The OP-1 is misleading since it has a standalone MIDI mode, but the regular modes offer MIDI output as well. This means you can do stuff like plug it into the Hermod and sequence your Eurorack with the Tombola sequencer.

For the Hermod/OP-Z combo, the only oddity that I ran into last night was that OP-Z channels 1+2 were both sending out Hermod track 1, but then 3 came out of 2, 4 came out of 3. I need to find the time to sit down and figure out which device is misconfigured (or if there’s a bug), but in the meantime even with that hiccup it’s very easy to use the OP-Z to sequence eight tracks on the modular. Just plug the OP-Z into Hermod’s USB Host input and it should be good to go.

Brilliant. Thanks Michael! I read the whole MIDI section of the manual and got nowhere, and having gone back now I see this info is under the USB section. :sweat_smile:

Very excited to use it as a master sequencer. I make a solid foundation for a track, quite quickly, every time I turn the OP-Z on, but the synth engines leave me wanting a lot more. OP-Z controlling Eurorack might be a real winning combo.