Teletype : ASR – analog shift register / Spannable CV Delay

Continuing on my task of creating a bunch of fairly simple utility scenes for Teletype, I’d like to unveil my newest creation, ASR!

Okay, it’s obviously not analog, (DSR doesn’t have quite the same ring to it…) and to be honest I’m pretty new to the idea of ASRs, so I’m not positive how much I stayed true to the concept of traditional ASR, but I’m very happy with the result, and still have some room to add more features.

Overview:
IN takes CV and records it to Pattern 0. X Y Z A are essentially 4 different read heads for CV outputs 1-4. PARAM controls the span between the read heads, at it’s minimum delaying each output by 1 clock, and at it’s maximum delaying by 16 clocks (evenly spaced throughout the pattern).

Initalization:

P.N 0
P.L 64
M 200

I’ve designed it to be externally clocked by script 1:

P.NEXT PARAM
SCRIPT 2
SCRIPT 3
SCRIPT 4
SCRIPT 5

Scripts 2-5 just output their corresponding read head, and increment:

CV 1 P 0 WRAP X 0 63
X ADD 1 X
IF EZ X MOD 64 : TR.PULSE 1

The 3rd line here is just a helpful visual reference, to give an idea of how the PARAM control is effecting span

M is where we update the span:

T ADD 1 RSH PARAM 10
X SUB P.I T
Y SUB X T
Z SUB Y T
A SUB Z T

Boring video, with no sound, but you should give you an idea of what’s going on

Let me know what you guys think, or if you can think of any ideas / features to add. Scripts 6-8 are empty, so I’m thinking about having different modes depending on which jack is clocking it? Or just saving to different patterns, for easier recall? Also potential for Ansible support, so I could make this an 8 stage ASR instead of 4. I’d have to rethink the span knob a little bit, because I’d like it still remain fully functional even if Ansible has other duties (Kria / Meadowphysics)

11 Likes

This looks fantastic! More of a multi-tapped CV delay than an ASR, but that’s interesting in an entirely different way! ASR’s are usually clocked like a S+H, and only have as many delay stages as outputs.

This would be a fantastic tool for playing multiple oscillators all tuned together – a great way to fake a multi-channel delay across 4 channels…

3 Likes

Interesting, I like the span idea. I had a crack at this a while back, and came up with the following:

ANALOG SHIFT REGISTER
1 CLOCK THE ASR, 0 FROM IN
2 SHUFFLE READ POS
3 RAND PATTERN LEN < 10
X PATTERN LEN
A-D CV LOCN IN PATTERN

L X 1 : P I P SUB I 1
P 0 IN
CV 1 P A
CV 2 P B
CV 3 P C
CV 4 P D

A RAND X
B RAND X
C RAND X
D RAND X

X RRAND 1 10
1 Like

Awesome! There’s some interesting ideas I hadn’t thought of in here - it’s probably more efficient to shift the entire pattern rather than the read heads, huh?

And I love the idea of shuffling the read heads randomly, maybe I’ll have the Ansible outputs be randomized read heads

1 Like

I haven’t tested it, but here is my very minimal traditional shift register. Not as cool as the CV delay line effect @xeric posted, but it doesn’t use any variables or patterns.

Trigger the script to shuffle the CV outputs along, taking a new value from IN.

CV 4 CV 3
CV 3 CV 2
CV 2 CV 1
CV 1 IN
4 Likes

yeah i posted something similar in the code exchange topic.
i was explicitly naming variables but i wonder if this works.

1 Like

This seems like an awesome application for the Just Type integration. Shift Register to different voices on the Just Friends; Cascaded / delayed envelopes to the Just Friends, etc.

4 Likes

Totally! I’m very excited for Just Type, I’ll definitely have to mod this scene for that

1 Like

So I actually had my scenes wiped while doing a software update the other day, so I was going back to my old posts to recover my work. Realized I had a transcription errors in my script above, but I figured it out and decided to include the whole scene:
Spannable multitap CV delay.txt (1.2 KB)

I still need to add some Ansible enhancements, and perhaps some interesting triggers to scripts 6-8.

I also have a new folder of Teletype backups on my laptop, I’m going to be a lot more careful with my scenes :smile:

7 Likes