> teletype : code exchange

llllllll

Adding a link to @scanner_darkly’s post on Orca-style sequencing using TT

couple of tips:

• if you want to watch a variable live store it in one of the pattern values and use the tracker view (the downside is you would need to do this in every script that can modify the variable)

• if you need to use both I and an offset I value in a loop you would normally do something like ADD I 5 for the offset value. but if you don’t have enough space you can sacrifice a line and store the offset value in O variable and use that instead as it will also autoincrement on each iteration.

and copying here from another thread;

• there is a reference available on teletype itself for both keys and commands - just press F1 at any point and then use up and down arrows to scroll and [ and ] to switch between the different pages.

• in the tracker view if you press CTRL it will store the knob position scaled to 0…31 into the current value.

I am struggling with the SCALE a b x y i command.

I am trying to scale X up from 0 - 122 to 0 - 255. (I know I could multiply it by 2 - I was doing something more complicated and it did not work out, now I try it isolated with simple numbers that can be shown on Arc as a kind of display).

I thought it could be done with this as with other commands that modify X:

X ADD X 1
X MOD X 122
X SCALE 0 122 0 255 X
CY.POS 1 X

But this gives me kind of random values.

Y SCALE 0 122 0 255 X
CY.POS 1 Y

does work though but needs Y as a second variable.

Is it meant like this or what do not understand here?

Currently I am on the new teletype firmware 2.0b3

X SCALE 0 122 0 255 X

this should work. but it likely isn’t what you want, since you expect X to be between 0…122, and then scale it to 0…255. so the second time the scrips get executed, X can be beyond 122 and gets scaled accordingly, so it grows and grows each time. (edit: the range doesn’t wrap)

Y SCALE 0 122 0 255 X
CY.POS 1 Y

didn’t check the line length, but you could omit Y by writing:

CY.POS 1 SCALE 0 122 0 255 X

Ah, of course you are right - thanks a lot!

What an educational way of being stupid…:laughing:

Actually I was trying to scale the measured TIME between trigger inputs for some kind of clock devision and it did not give me what I expected, haven’t checked the new shorter commands - maybe I fit in in a single line.

glad to help. don’t confuse knowledge with intelligence. asking questions is a quick and smart way to get smarter :slight_smile:

Here’s a really fun one: tt08s.txt (1.2 KB)

I call it “BOOLEAN BOUILLON”. It takes in four gates/triggers on ins 1-4. TR 1-4 are logic soup, CV 1-4 are rhythmic gates. Script 8 changes the active logic mode. Tracker mode edits the rhythm patterns.

The I script will activate up to 8 clock divided metros if you have at least one TXo connected.

You could speed up the M script if you need better accuracy. The M script currently updates the outputs every 50 ms.

Telex: Teletype expanders
Teletype 2.0 beta (release candidate 2 released 13th July 2017)
Composing with Teletype

I’ve been doing a coding retreat the last 6 weeks and today learned how IF / ELSE is implemented at a machine level (well, in assembly). Made me reflect on how IF/ELIF/ELSE is implemented on teletype and how it’s actually super weird and powerful! Here’s a silly control structure script I just rambled at @tehn on email:

M:
IF 0 : this will never happen

2:
ELSE : do one thing

3:
ELSE : or another

After each METRO tick (use a slow speed), only the first of script2/3 will be triggered. If you trigger scripts 2/3 with independent rhythms i believe you’ll get some interesting phasing of one behaviour happening as it aligns with the metro, which will change over time. This lets you play with the relative phase of the METRO (or another trigger) and the inputs 2/3.

Point being - IF/ELIF/ELSE in teletype allow you to create control structures that don’t have to logically flow through as a single block. It’s more like an ‘ARM’ flag which you can take advantage of with control voltages!

@sam: FYI, had this epiphany while implementing my own forth! The dream lives on…

Ah. Sorry. It is super weird. So I fixed it. Sorry.

That won’t work in 2.0.

(Although your post did make try a few examples out and decide that the ‘fixed’ behaviour isn’t quite perfect. I’ll post something in the beta thread.)

Very simple script, but very useful to me for very slow movements in a pattern based on a counter influenced by an external event.

I :
T 0

1:
P.N 0
P.L 4
T ADD T 1
IF EQ T 8 : P.NEXT
CV 1 N P.HERE
IF EQ T 8 : T 0

in reference to:

In my sincere attempt to remain sub-104 hp, I wrote up a basic René-style (x,y) script to stave off my GAS. it randomly goes down a Pattern column (containing integer steps of a scale across a few octaves) and pulls each integer into a CV _ N expression.

For the video in that thread, CV 1 is driving Just Friends (Plume) and TR 1 is triggering a subset of N voices.

All this is in the 1 script.

1: X RAND 4; Y RAND 4 Z MUL X Y PN.I 0 Z CV 1 N PN.HERE 0 TR.P 1

From there, I added some performative elements like Sample + Hold (CV 2 [Dixie II+] sampling CV 1), clock jumbling and envelope crests (CV 4 to Cold Mac…? :grimacing:).

2: PROB 40: CV 2 CV 1 CV 2 N PN.NEXT 1 CV 4 V RAND 10 DEL 1000: CV 4 V RAND 3

3: M DIV M 3 DEL 1000: M 80

And then some neat offsets for CV 2 and a sorta-on beat secondary JF trigger.

4: CV.OFF 2 V 2 DEL MUL M 4: CV.OFF 2 0 DEL DIV M 3: TR.P 2

M script was basically pulsing TR 1.

love. this. module.

(edits: TR.PULSE -> TR.P)

Composing with Teletype

In reference to: Composing with Teletype

TT sends:
CV 1 to midrange voice
CV 2 to lower voice
CV 3 to higher voice
CV 4 to Cold Mac Survey
TR 4 to 3 Sisters Low, tuned for kick resonance

TT receives:
2 from Cold Mac Right Out
3 from Cold Mac Follow Out
5 from Cold Mac Left Out
6 from Cold Mac Or Out

(Cold Mac Slope Out also patched to 3 Sis v/8)

sometimes, keyboard needs a swift F1-F8 swipe to reset.
CV 4 needs occasional CV 4 0 from live mode.

////

CV.SET 3 CV 1

PN.L RRAND 1 3 RAND 6
CV.OFF 1 V * TOSS 3

TR.P 4
DEL / M 4: TR.P * TOSS 4
DEL / M 3: TR.P * TOSS 4
DEL / M 2: TR.P 4
DEL M: TR.P * TOSS 4
DEL * M 2: TR.P * TOSS 4

CV 3 CV 2

PN.NEXT 1
CV 1 N PN.HERE 1
DEL / M 3: TR.P RRAND 1 3
DEL * M 2: TR.P RRAND 1 3
DEL * M 3: TR.P RRAND 1 3
CV.OFF 1 V TOSS

PN.NEXT 2
CV 2 N PN.HERE 2
CV.OFF 2 V TOSS

PN.NEXT 3
CV 3 N PN.HERE 3
CV.OFF 3 V TOSS

CV 4 VV RAND 1000

M

I
M * ME.PERIOD 8
L 0 7: ME.RES I
M.RESET
CV.SLEW 4 4000

P
0 0 3 7
0 3 7 5
0 7 5 10
0 22 2 0
0 24 0 0
0 0 0 0

this might not be the type of functional thing that this thread deserves, but just wanted to highlight that Cold Mac providing triggers into TT is a dream. triggering randomized pattern lengths, choosing new pitches, and pinging a filter all in one gesture is super fun!

Composing with Teletype

(now that the teletype script repo is available, discussion on it, including requests for github access, has been moved to its own thread, to keep this thread focused on scripts and scene ideas. thanks to @emenel &co for getting the repo up and running.)

Is there a way to write,

PROB 50: do something ELSE: do this other thing

That I’m missing? I’ve been doing a weirder version, setting a variable to 0, then PROB 50: X 1 then IF/ELSE on the variable. If there isn’t a way to do what I’m suggesting, I’d love to see an ELSE added to PROB.

Oh, BREAK might fix this for me,

PROB 50: #something; BREAK
#SOMETHING ELSE THAT WILL ONLY BE EXECUTED IF BREAK DOESN'T HAPPEN ABOVE.

Hurray for BREAK! I’m also very excited for WHILE.

You can try:

IF GT RAND 10 5: do something
ELSE: do something else

Please post an example if you use WHILE, as despite advancing it for completeness of the language, I have yet to find a really good example of its usage musically where LOOP would not suffice.

Hi. I know this has been discussed before. I was just wondering if there are any plans currently — perhaps in the form of an interactive tutorial, or better yet fully functioning software — to explore Teletype as software in a browser, or on a laptop or mobile device, like an iPad. Thanks.

On a slight tangent from @disquiet’s post, I’ve been wondering how feasible it would be to implement Teletype as a VCVRack module.

^ Yes, this, yes. #20charactersorbust