(Teletype) expanding scripts: length and amount

I’m not fond of the idea of shadow scripts and adding new OPs to deal with them. If you add shadow scripts named 1s through 8s and update the existing OPs to handle the new script names that would be ok. I also think having more scripts (9-32/64) would be nice. You could access them slowly using [, ] or quickly using the param nob.

I ran into memory limits when I went past 15 or 16 scripts (including metro and init). You’d have to reduce the number of scenes to make it fit.

How did you have more than 8/10 scripts?

Modifying the firmware. It’s open source, so you can do whatever you want, but the hardware will only do so much.

If you’re up to compiling your own firmware, I put a patch (not my work, just implemented from textual description in another thread) here (runs great here, use at own risk):

4 Likes

I’d be happy just to gain that last line in each script. Since there are 8 lines on the display, why not allow 7 lines of script? Does that empty line serve any purpose beyond a visual cue?

Changing SCRIPT_MAX_COMMANDS to 7 in state.h leads to…

LN      teletype.elf
/avr32-tools/lib/gcc/avr32/4.4.7/../../../../avr32/bin/ld: address 0x80086610 of teletype.elf section `.flash_nvram' is not within region `FLASH'
/avr32-tools/lib/gcc/avr32/4.4.7/../../../../avr32/bin/ld: address 0x80086610 of teletype.elf section `.flash_nvram' is not within region `FLASH'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
../libavr32/asf/avr32/utils/make/Makefile.avr32.in:459: recipe for target 'teletype.elf' failed
make[1]: *** [teletype.elf] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/target/module'
Makefile:24: recipe for target 'teletype.zip' failed
make: *** [teletype.zip] Error 2

The libavr32 stuff is above my pay grade though.

IIRC that means the flash memory size has been exceeded. TT is a tightly constrained system, where bytes of storage do matter…

I figured that’s what it’d mean, probably not helping that I’ve also got the 12-scripts mod.