> teletype: grid # code exchange

Did anyone ever get around to trying this out? I’m going to give it a shot myself when I get the chance. I am trying to set up pages so that I can switch between a main trigger sequencer page and additional CV fader sequencers (working off of @mattbiddulph 's turing sequencer for this bit! good timing). Perhaps there is a tricky way to condense multiple “pages” of buttons into one init script, but I am not a programmer by trade so anything hacky that gives me a few more lines is really helpful for learning how to solve these problems.

1 Like

The SCENE.G op was added in the 3.1.0 release, which lets you change scenes without resetting grid controls, the intention being to let you use an entire scene (or more?) for initializing complex Grid apps.

3 Likes

this is absolutely awesome. I can’t wait to use it. Thank you :slight_smile:

A quick hack to give my Grid the basics of an Ableton Push isomorphic scale keyboard:

the code:

Works in a pretty brute-force way, just using pre-generated pattern lookup tables to derive the note numbers of each point on the grid. Patterns 1, 2 and 3 map note numbers to major, minor and dorian scales. Change the scale in use by changing the “2” in line 22.

3 Likes

Hi! Did you managed to create the Earthsea style polyphony scene for the TT to be used without the JF? I’m enjoying this a lot, but I would also like to control other VCO’s with the grid controller.
Thanks a lot for your work!

i didn’t add an earthsea keyboard op, since you can easily script it and it gives more flexibility in terms of any customizations you’d want to do.

to use the script with teletype own CV/gate outputs modify it as follows (away from teletype so untested):

in the init script change D 6 to D 4 (so, 4 voices - set to lesser number if desired)
in script 4 replace JF.VOX A X V 8 with CV A X; TR A 1
in script 5 replace JF.VOX A 0 0 with TR A 0

(this makes me wish for note op again…)

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!!! I’m quite new to the TT programing environment, but after looking at the code and what you wrote I’ve started to see the light and understand how the “gate hold” works …

hi, i was playing with this script (fugetta w/ transposition) and love it so much!

one question, is it possible to use external clock to trigger the metro script? i want to sync the master tempo with my other eurorack system…
i’m very newbie about the scripting in teletype, and looking at these, i have no idea what to change :sweat_smile: and it seems all the scripts already used…
is it possible to use the IN cv as a clock input from external?

thanks

glad you like the script :slight_smile:

i think it should be possible to move a few lines around so that you can run everything off of an external trigger source by triggering script 1 instead of using the metro script, but unfortunately i’m unable to test out any changes to the script on my own system for a few weeks.

i suspect that it might be an easier fix to clock your main system from one of teletype’s trigger outs by adding a line to one of the scripts.

if you can’t find a solution that works for you in a couple weeks send me a PM and i’ll try to take a closer look.

2 Likes

thanks so much for the explanation, i’ll try to understand the workflow of the script first, and then will try to apply your suggestions, this is a good opportunity for me to learn more about the teletype language.
will let u know if i get stuck :sweat_smile::pray:t4:

thank you!

just want to clarify, am i right thinking, if i want to use external clock as master clock, use it to trigger script 1, so i have to move all the information from Metro script to script 1, and then fits the information from the original script 1 into another script, and then calling that other script from script 1? and i won’t use the Metro script at all?
since i don’t have TELEX, i’m thinking i can erase those lines that use TELEX for offset, so i can free up some script…

for the alternate, teletype as master clock, sending clock from one of the trigger out, right now on the script, TR and CV out sending exact copy of notes from the Pattern (4 melodies).
since i’m using Just Type, i could just erase one line from script #4: IF G.BTN.V: TR.P X; CV X N I. (i’m guessing variable X assign to the notes pattern)
and then let say maybe assign TR.P 4 to Metro script?
but, what if i still want to have the exact copy of notes/gates on TR and CV out 1-3, but only use TR 4 as a clock out, is it possible?

there are a few ways to approach this, but moving relevant lines out of the M script to script 1 and then editing things around is the first thing i’d try. you don’t need to take everything out of the M script—most likely you only need to take the first two lines (with a few edits) to get basic functionality, or lines 1-3, 5 to try and recreate the reset functionality (might be a bit strange with an external clock). so yes, in this case you wouldn’t use the M script because it would not be in sync with your external clock. depending on what you want to do it might not be possible to fit everything.

sending a clock from teletype could be as simple as adding a TR.P 4 to the M script, but then you would have to alter script 4 to remove the TR.P, which is tied to the X variable. without a more careful look i don’t know if there is an easy way to get TR and CV outs 1-3 working the way you describe with a clock on TR 4.

it might be helpful to look at the comments on the original script as a reference if you haven’t already:

2 Likes

thank you so much Jhonathan, that certainly helps a lot! i’m gonna try to work on that now.
and yes, i was also referencing the comments from the original script, been studying it for few hours now, trying to understand how everything works. its really is a complex and clever programming, learn a lot from it. thank you @jflee and @ghost for the great script!

2 Likes

Another approach may be to flash the latest beta firmware here:

This firmware adds the ability to trigger the Metronome script with $9, which may help!

2 Likes

oh wow, i didn’t know that. thank you for the info!

Guys, I hate to ask, but could I get a basic explanation of how these scripts are notated? We can use something like @MengQiMusic’s wonderful “wanfeng” script. I get the basic parts (scene #1, 2, etc). I also get a general gist of the patterns, but I’m curious, with the section as follows:

Is this refering to the pattern Loops?

And then with the grid layouts bellow. What do those notate? I see there are two of them, but I’m curious how they break down… If someone could break me down a simple “what the heck” I would really appreciate. I’ve looked all over and it seems there isn’t a simple explainer to the notation style we’ve landed on.

It’s the format saved and loaded to USB disk when you perform a scene backup using the procedure described here. So you can grab the scene straight from such a post, put it in a file on a USB drive, and load it into one of your Teletype scene slots, or capture a scene to a file you can share. You are correct that this is pattern data and grid configuration at the end, I don’t know if this format is currently documented anywhere but you can find the code for writing and reading scenes here.

1 Like

Oh wow! Very cool. Okay, thank you very much. This makes for a wonderful tool. Much appreciated!

Did you ever happen to continue work on this? This seems like an amazing tool for the teletype/grid ops.

Finally sharing this! I call it “STTS”
STTS.txt (1.5 KB)

I designed this script for the STS, although it should work with other samplers with little or no modification.

It uses two adjacent Earthsea-style keyboards to trigger the respective left and right channels on the STS. There are two faders to select samples from the currently loaded banks. There’s a momentary reverse button for each side as well which I have found to be great fun to toy with.

The most interesting thing I discovered while working on this became an unintentional feature:
pressing multiple buttons at once on one channel’s keyboard can give more granular control of where the sample playback starts, so while there’s only 48 buttons on each keyboard, you can get way more positions by playing around with different combinations. I want to say it’s because of some slew that is applied on the STS’ start position inputs–so this part may not work on other samplers. Would love to hear from others about it!

Lastly wanted to ask if @scanner_darkly or others ever made any progress on building a pattern recorder into their scripts. I’d love to implement here if anyone could share their insights!

5 Likes