Teletype : LFOs

I originally posted something about this in the teletype : code exchange but I thought I’d start a separate thread to make things easier to follow.

The general idea here is that I’m trying to develop a quad (possibly octo! via Ansible/expanders) pingable LFO generator on Teletype.

I succeeded at creating very basic pingable Triangle waves with the following script, modified slightly for scripts 1-4 to change outputs and variable names.
Y AVG Y SUB TIME X
X TIME
CV.SLEW 1 DIV Y 2
CV.1 PARAM
DEL DIV Y 2 : CV 1 0
DEL DIV Y 2 : TR.PULSE 1

PARAM controls the LFO amount, but now I’m trying to get PARAM to control the LFO shape. Essentially I just want to morph the triangle into a sawtooth as I turn either direction past 12 o clock.

I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get this simple concept into few enough characters that it will fit in a single script.

Y AVG Y SUB TIME X
X TIME
Z SCALE 0 V 10 0 Y PARAM
CV.SLEW 1 Z
CV.1 PARAM
DEL Z : CV.SLEW 1 SUB Y Z
DEL Z : CV 1 0

Even while removing the (very useful) trigger when the LFO is high, I’m still stuck with 7 lines of code… can anyone help me get this down to 6 lines? Looks like this would solve my problem – but I feel like I should be able to accomplish this with some clever arithmetic

2 Likes

This is the function I’m porting to Ansible’s Cycles in a week or two after our next plug-in is released:

It takes one phasor and can smoothly transition between ramp, triangle, and sawtooth. I don’t know how feasible it is with regular TT code.

However, in the TT 2.0 thread, LFOs have been discussed as a potential future feature. I think this variable-shape LFO code would be an excellent operator in a future firmware.

5 Likes

Any update on this? And any chance you could explain to non-coder what this will make possible with Cycles?

No updates yet, sorry. I’m defending my dissertation on December 9th, so everything is on hold until then.

3 Likes

Thanks for letting me know.

Good luck with your defense!

1 Like

Thank you! Really appreciate it.

From one phd to another: congratulations!!
(I play with synths instead of writing my diss; if I wouldn’t have picked your field I could do both at once!)

Any chance this will ever see the light of day? Sounds like a lot of fun to be had

1 Like

I have some thoughts about implementing function generators within teletype, but I fear that their usefulness is going to be limited at the moment by the CV update rate. The stepping is notable to my ears, especially when patched into something like the Rossum Morpheus, where alias jumps on the modulation inputs can produce clicks.

The Telex expanders add this type of functionality… as does Ansible via Arc. I’m not sure TT is the right place for full on function generators, it feels like it’s starting to stray too far from what TT is all about. It feels more right to use TT to trigger something like a Function or Pip Slope in an interesting or generative way.

5 Likes