Teletype: measuring gate length

following up on this question posed by @Geremy

seeking the most efficient way to record external gate length to patterns in teletype.

@xeric suggested mult’ing a gate and inverting, which led me to this script:

M:
IF STATE 1 : TR 1 1
ELSE : TR 1 0
IF STATE 1 : TR 2 0
ELSE : TR 2 1

2:
TIME 0
TIME.ACT 1

3:
TIME.ACT 0
P.PUSH TIME

• patch gate to script input one
  • self patch TR 1 to input 2
  • self patch TR 2 to input 3

use the init script or live entry to turn on metro & set it to 10ms. you’ll also need to set up which pattern you’re using and if you want it to loop.

eats up 3 script inputs, two TR outputs & metro - but it works!

if anyone can improve on this i’d love to expand my understanding :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice. I’m kinda partial to not having the M script run all the time though, so I like:

I: 
M.ACT 0    
M 25

1:
M.ACT 1
TIME 0

M: 
IF EZ STATE 1 : P.PUSH TIME ; M.ACT 0

I haven’t tested this yet but it only requires 1 script input and M script doesn’t run continuously.

Well one easy win is to use SCRIPT 2 and SCRIPT 3 instead of self-patching.

Actually what about:

M:
IF STATE 1 : TIME 0
ELSE : TIME.ACT 0 
IF STATE 1 : TIME.ACT 1
ELSE : P.PUSH TIME

I’m away from my Teletype, so I’m not positive if that third line fits in the character limit.

I think that pushes onto the pattern for every tick while the gate is low.

1 Like

Oops, you’re totally right. I’ll have to look at this at my Teletype later

For the TXi - I’m working on a firmware revision that adds in some “analysis functions” - this makes sense to add to the list. Let me see what I can do.

Please don’t let this stop figuring out how to do it with the TT itself. :slight_smile:

yeah that’s why i’m using inverted trigger outputs to ping scripts 2 & 3. then you only get TIME resets and pattern writes on event changes, rather then every tick metro reads a state.

amazing! i look forward to hearing more about this!

1 Like

seems like it could be useful to have input trigger execution be configurable-- right now it’s always on the rising edge. there’s no reason each input could be different-- ie falling edge, or both edges.

we could make this a feature request if we can collectively figure out a reasonable UI and command set

8 Likes

this would be quite useful!

i assume this would be a config command that sets an input trigger to execute on rise/fall or both. something like:

EXE 1 RISE
EXE 1 FALL
EXE 1 BOTH

it would be even more useful to be able to flag lines in a script with a rise/fall/both conditional. besides the efficiency of being able to measure a gate length from within one script, you’d also benefit from the visual cue of the trigger input’s behavior. if there’s no flag the line respects the trigger input’s default behavior.

Ok so my code didn’t work because the line in the M script was too long. A bit of troubleshooting help maybe? Current code:

I:
M.ACT 0
M 25
L 0 1 : PN.WRAP I 1 ; PN.I I 0

M: 
P.N 1
S.CLR
S: M.ACT 0
S: P.PUSH TIME
IF EZ STATE 7: S.ALL

7:
TIME 0
M.ACT 1
P.N 0
P.PUSH IN

So Gate is in Input 7 and CV is on IN. Pattern 0 stores the CV and Pattern 1 stores gate length. It worked kind of during editing but now nothing is happening…

I figured out that initializing the length instead of the index causes the above to work. So change:

L 0 1: PN.WRAP I 1; PN.I I 0;

To just;

L 0 1: PN.L I 0

As wrap doesn’t work for pattern length anyway.

Hi, Sorry to dredge up this old thread, I was searching the forum on Teletype Gate vs Trig functionality.

the analysis functions for TXi seem really interesting.