Teletype Metro and script triggering

Hello everyone, first post here.
I have to say i am quite intrigued by Teletype and i’ve been reading about it but there is a point which is not clear n my mind.
I see one can manipulate metro with a script but can one use that metro out to trigger multiple scripts at different times?
Meaning is there a way to take that trigger information and manipulate it further within the script?

cheers

Greg

http://monome.org/docs/modular/teletype/

SCRIPT x execute script (1-8), has infinite loop detection
this allows you to chain multiple scripts together!

I think the script operator would satisfy your needs. It was added in one of the addendums, and can be triggered by the metro or other scripts. You can add conditions (based off patterns, probability, etc) to control which script(s) or how likely the script is to fire. There are conditions to prevent infinite loops, but these scripts could also cascade to other scripts.

You mean like delaying the execution of a script/command after triggering? Yes, that is easy possible.

Ok this is interesting thanks Tambouri!
So besides controlling triggering does this also include dividing/multiplying the metro value, picking duration values from a table, etc?

Delaying the execution is a first step, but perhaps something more dynamic would be better. The most simple example i can think of is where in a “normal” sequencer you can set different divisions of the clock and durations for each track.

I don’t believe that multiplying the clock is totally straightforward, tho I believe people have found workarounds (there also appear to be some future operators brewing on a few threads which might aid this). Regarding clock division, you could in a line or 2 assign a variable to count to say 4 and only trigger script a script if the variable is 1.

As I write this, I’m realizing I’ve spent much of my time triggering teletype from external boxes where most of this kind of division or sequencing is handled by the other units. I’m inclined to say the trilogy or ansible modules are probably a little more straightforward for divisions (meadowphysics) or grid based step sequencing (WW), but the openendness of teletype could surely lend itself to some neat controlled or chaotic clocking systems.

That being said TT seems like a game of maximizing patterns/variables/scripts/commands/outputs in a way which is most valuable to you and I’m sure complex clocking scripts would be a cool use of TT’s powers

While I usually do those things with Meadowphysics or Kria I would start with delaying a trigger and then output it on the same output as the original one to get multiplication or swing. You could easily add more triggers at other divisions and process the delay values as variables to get far more dynamic and interesting multiplications as your normal sequencer could deliver.

For Division I’d setup a counter as explained by @tamburi. Then again process the counter variables to get some fancy pants.

1 Like

you may want to look into the euclidean rhythm op for more clock options…

Thanks guys for your hlp.
I didn’t realize there was a way to count triggers, this along modulo makes it a lot more feasible…

I can see why there is a preference to trigger things from the outside as a way to interact with the modular (the er101 i have at the moment is more closed in that aspect).
On the other hand i see an opportunity to construct interesting rhythmic material within the system itself…

@Leverkusen: love the idea of using the same output for the delayed trigger!
@shellfritsch: i was just looking at these examples, very interesting. Thanks!

I’m using TIME operator to detect external triggers and multiply that trigger with a certain factor taken from a pattern step. this creates a nice ratcheting effect inside the pattern.

2 Likes

this sounds rad. mind sharing your script?

the basic idea was posted by Galapagoose

2 Likes

I know i’m bumping an old thread but how would you apply this to multiple outputs for different divisions? So input 1 is /2 and input 2 is /3 etc…?

I am not sure if I understood your question right - do you want multiple outputs with divisions or multiple inputs to divide?

I think 1: M MUL TIME 1 X should give you clock of input 1 divisions by X on the Metro.

1 Like

hey, thanks for your help - i am hoping to have 4 inputs where I put the clock and then 4 outputs of varying divisons or multiplications

so output 1 is *2 output 2 is *3 output 3 is *4

so it would be like a ratcheting module