Teletype patch from scratch / sorta tutorial video

so, i made this yesterday. it is a patch from scratch video that focuses on three modules. teletype, just friends and the TX0. in order to not have it be super boring i tried to make it into a sorta tutorial thing :slight_smile:

took me 11 minutes to make the patch then about 5 hours of editing and adding the annotations (complete with at least 2 typos i have found so far). anyway i thought i would post it here. maybe someone might find it useful? all the patch details are in the video.

thanks!!!

41 Likes

Already saw this on insta. Thanks for sharing. Perfect timing:
Just got just friends yesterday and did my first steps with just type!

2 Likes

This is really great. I know that this is a very basic question, but how are you able to address Kria with teletype when Ansible is acting as a leader?

This has me puzzled and is probably a very simple errant assumption on my part :joy:

1 Like

sorry, hope i am not overdoing the postings… glad you liked it. just friends + teletype is pretty spectacular :slight_smile:

thanks! honestly not super familiar with the leader / follower thing but as far as i understand it in this circumstance teletype is the leader. tt tells jf to go into synth mode and acts as the bridge between the notes kria is spitting out and just friends.

1 Like

Aha! So there’s my errant assumption- that Ansible needs to be in leader mode in order to send notes to JF.

i am sure there are many ways to do it but the way i do is add this to a page:

JF.VOX 1 KR.CV 1 V 5 for the first voice of jf and the first track of kria. then patch the trigger out of kria on the first track into page 1 on tt to trigger the script,

2 Likes

@mattlowery, Ansible does need leader mode to send the notes directly to JF, but in this instance TT is asking kria for it’s current cv value and then sending it along to JF. (As with anything code related, there are a million ways to do things) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I see. So technically Ansible is running Kria, but TT is passing the note information from Ansible to JF. Is that right?

2 Likes

Yep! That sounds right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, didn’t want to say that!
I hardly comment on Instagram. So I was happy to see it again on lines on which it feels more natural to say that I enjoyed it!

1 Like

no problem, it is more me being concerned i am overdoing it. . .

1 Like

This is so helpful, Thank you. Really hope this spawns some more patch-from-scratch teletype / mannequins vids.

5 Likes

@David_Rothbaum Cool and helpful video.
But I would like to understand what is the difference with it and directly sequence JF with Kria from i2C ?

1 Like

thank you! glad you found it useful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks! glad you liked it :slight_smile: i have not tried using ansible/kria as leader. so i can’t speak to that directly. i use teletype as the heart of pretty much everything i do with the modular and all my hardware really. so this way of working makes sense to me. i might try that with a tiny portable case though – saving the space yet still being able to use just friends as a synth would be great…

1 Like

I know my way around TT pretty well now (especially in the context of JF) but I always appreciate the patch from scratch vids! Like @Justmat said there are always a million ways to do things so I feel like there’s always a few things to learn. I’d have never thought in a million years I’d be making music this way but TT and its expanders have become an integral part in my system as well.

Nice patch too :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

You have an interesting idea here. I have to try this way.
In my case of composing I like control TXo JF and all my other i2C gear with Ansible leader mode. It’s pretty easy, but I am not able to send message with teletype. Your way can be a solution. Smart :+1:

1 Like

the monome teletype ecosystem has changed the way i think about composing music. i know for me that if someone posts some little tidbit of code that i would have never thought of it usually leads somewhere interesting. that’s the beauty of the way this works. a million ways to do something. and jf just sounds sooooo good.

3 Likes

So, I’m giving this a whirl but can’t get JF to make any sound. My setup differs in that I don’t have a TXo. So I’m sending triggers into TT with Pam’s, and have omitted the TXo specific portions of code. What else might I be doing wrong?

JF is in sound/transient mode, with the knobs more or less at noon.

Also, FWIW, when I reboot and put Ansible in leader mode, it works just fine. So the i2c connection is solid between those two. I assume that the connection between TT and JF is solid, but is there any way I can double check via TT?

Edit: I had forgotten jf.mode 1 which confirms that it is time for sleep :slight_smile:

1 Like