(Teletype) Pre-2.1 Operators and Features

What does W do, by the way?

Oh, and what does FOO do? It surely is something about Bruce Lee, isn’t it?

It’s the only OP that behaves like that. Thus it’s a special case, or a change in the way the language works. That’s all.

It’s more of a due diligence thing, once you have too many special cases, everything falls apart. Thus the question always needs to be asked, is this particular special case worth the extra burden?

I think it would be helpful if pitch quantization worked in a similar way to how pitch quantization works in other eurorack modules.

Here’s one approach:

I think he was walking into a BAR

(sorry bad programmer humour)

I think the point about quantizing already quantized pitches as N opposed to CV is always a problem that causes instable output voltages in modular quantizers.

But the uScale only deals with “continuous” CV, the Teletype has to deal with that, and to deal with quantising discrete integers too. If we only limited ourselves to external CV I feel that we’d be missing a lot. There is much fun to be had “in the box” so to speak.

I’m sorry, I’m not following you at all. I was reacting to this bit:

And what I was pointing out is that these questions have already been resolved by multiple modules, and some consistency is desirable from my point of view.

W is a while() loop. It continues executing until the condition becomes false.

FOO is half of FOOBAR and one third of FOOBARBAZ. :wink:

Wikipedia has you covered.

I’m not understanding why quantizing discrete integers is harder than quantizing continuous analog values. I’d have thought it would actually be more straightforward.

Let’s do it with numbers instead. You need to quantise an input to 0 or 4, your input is 2. What do you choose? 0 or 4?

I’d prefer a musical example. (This is one of those rare times when theory kind of matters)

Okay, quantise to C or E, the input is D.

The answer is really quite lengthy and it depends on your musical goal. I recommend reading page 2-3 under the “shifting” heading of the uScale manual to understand why this isn’t such a simple question to answer.

Then how am I supposed to write an OP to do it? And wasn’t that the point I was trying to make?

That’s the point - a quantizing function is always the same and does not know about your momentary musical goals. Shifting quantized notes up and down a scale is a different thing though. As shifting the quantizing scale up and down before applying it is.

That wasn’t clear to me, but I agree it’s a bit complex for an OP.

If we’re just talking about a ROUND function, let’s call it that. “Quantizing” implies a more complex musical operation.

When you feed the uScale with already quantized CV, say to whole tones that you want to fit into a scale it gets unstable and jumps between different notes.

Uh, I thought quantizing means fitting random pitches into a given scale format - what is complex about this, apart from choosing a scale that makes musical sense?