Teletype Tutorials (upcoming)

Hello! We’re about to start on a series of Teletype tutorials.

I’d be very interested to hear any suggestions or requests for specific content to be covered. What would you like to do with Teletype? Perhaps we can work it in.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m interested in envelopes. I know it might be easier to leave envelopes to dedicated envelope modules, but nevertheless… I would like to create a one or two track sequencer that sends note info and envelopes, say A to Osc 1, B to VCA 1, C to Osc 2, D to VCA 2. Ideally with a way to control the envelopes. Perhaps with Walk for sustains, and/or Meadowphysics allowing to control the length of each stage of the envelope. For one of the envelopes, triggers 1-4 could mark the end of each stage.

I think it should be possible, possibly easier with set values in the tracker, not so sure how possible or easier with Grids, Meadowphysics and Walk. I say that’s my plan, what I would like to try, but not sure how long it will take me. I’m still studying the presets TT came with. So if you or anyone else would like to try your hand at it, that would be great. For a tutorial, it doesn’t need to be the whole thing. Some building blocks and suggestions to try would be very welcome.

I’m not sure if there is a real distinction (I don’t have a TT yet), but I’d be interested in specific techniques for performing live with the module, after scripts, etc. have been prepared in an earlier “compositional stage”.

if i’m honest i havent figured out how to make the tracker do anything

but i should probably actually try the scenes you have in the box before making someone show me how it works

also anything with rhythm would be useful, right now i’m not using the modular for voltage controlled melodies…i only care about drumming and sequencing shifts

I would love to see tutorials covering the following:

• the S commands (stacks: how to use and musically implement)
  • best practices with IF, ELIF, ELSE commands
  • Q variable

I think also tutorials for each of the trilogy module remote control would be useful.

3 Likes

I think more of a detailed ‘big picture’ tour or overview would be helpful. What is the general structure of the device. For instance, how do patterns relate to the Tracker? Is there any other way to see them?

If you load a scene, then go to Live mode, how does what your doing in live mode relate to the scene? Similar with Tracker mode. Is the programmed scene ignored when you switch to that mode?

Granted, I’ve only got a few short hours with the unit, but I’m still trying to understand some of these basic interactions.

At any rate, I think this device calls out for very many tutorials, so good luck!

2 Likes

yeah that might be good to eventually add to nomenclature in the docs

i’ve had a hard time distinguishing how patterns relate to the tracker and vice versa

interacting with non-euro modular would make a nice demo
unless patching in banana synths et al is discouraged

+1 for envelopes!

Also, different types of interactions with the patterns and tracker would be cool to see.

For instance:
I’d love to see some examples of shifting through pattern notes with rhythmic or irregular timing from withing TT. To expand on that – based on an incoming note or a set root note (variable), how could TT be used to shift through the pattern acting like an arp (a bit like another earthsea). etc. etc.

Aside from specific techniques, it would be great to see more commands in action to get a better idea of how they are used. For these types of tutorials, I would mainly be interested in following along and learning, not so much in it being about making a track or being super musical. Going through the whole command set would be great, …someday!

Really looking forward to these tutorials!

As a total stranger about coding and stuff, a “basic patches” tutorial could have helped a lot.

A tutorial on using Teletype to replicate various utility functions (e.g. clock divider/multiplier, envelope generator) would be very interesting. While it’s far from the sexiest reason to use Teletype, in my mind part of the way it justifies the HP required for the screen is by being a Swiss Army module.

The compositional power is the juicy stuff, but simple utility solutions can be a strong selling point.

2 Likes

wondering if there is going to be webpage/repository of user-created scenes like qu-bit does with the nebulae?

I was thinking that we should have a page specifically for discussing teletype code, but was dragging my feet setting it up.
Your message was just the nudge I needed:

:smile:

Maybe it’s beyond the scope of a module tutorial, but I would love a crash course in working with VV voltage tables for building patterns/scales in alternate intonations. That math always does my head (although it shouldn’t - ha)

It may sound slightly over intensive, but I would simply like to see a performance, or performances, which use every kind of command. Sort of a “Mad Libs” view. That way, if I don’t understand something, I can simply harken back to an example. Here is a sentence. Here is how you diagram it. A visual template, if you will (you might say).

Blessings,
Damon †

Can you please elaborate a little bit more?
Do you mean to see each command in context of a complete script?
I am especially interested in hearing what exactly you have in mind in terms of “visual template”?

mabye it will be covered but

teletype + one osc (presumably mangrove)
nothing more

a means to demonstrate some of the unique multitasking which is possible w/ TT

@tunepoet @laborcamp – I like the sound of this.

I find that’s its sometimes very abstract when you read a command definition, although the language/concept makes sense, the workflow is unclear. Probably something to do with how your brain works/ how you learn best.

I’m not an excellent scripter/programmer mostly because the experience isn’t too enjoyable for me. Although I like to dabble and have to do minor scripting as part of my job, thinking in the very logical way that programs work, is something I really have to make myself do.

The idea of having examples of every command in context would help a lot with that imho.

1 Like

This is good to hear.
I think it would be an excellent companion to the manual, to have an example script for each command. There aren’t THAT many of them so the task of making the examples would be insurmountable. Plus a script consisting of 6 commands, becomes a defacto example for 6 commands… :smile:

this seems like a good idea. i’m looking for a sort of structure for the tutorials-- perhaps this suggestion fits more into an update of the manual?