Teletype v2 proposals

teletype

Beat you to it, @laborcamp. You can use the independent metronomes and the count operator to achive this. :slight_smile:

Set up a TR output like this:

TO.TR.M 1 250
TO.TR.M.COUNT 1 8

Now - each time you do the following:

TO.TR.M.ACT 1 1

You get 8 triggers pulsing at the output, 250ms apart.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

A TXo does this already:

TO.TR.M.COUNT x y

Will give you y pulses on trigger output x every time you call:

TO.TR.M.ACT x 1

Use TO.TR.M.BPM x y etc to set the speed.

Edit: @bpcmusic is always a step ahead. :slight_smile:

Are there still plans floating around to do this by anyone? Or has it even been implemented yet? The possibilities it would open up seem insane to me. :dizzy_face:

as someone who bought the teletype literally last night, this thread title scared me.

this thread started in feb 2016 :slight_smile:

i still think that MIDI is an interesting idea but it’s going to require a dedicated volunteer to get implemented at this point.

i did see that, but not right away. i was all AWW NO I DIDN’T hahahaha.

but i must say, i’m pretty stoked to be back with the monome stuff! feels great, i really missed this community.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot recently.

The idea of being able to control external synths and or drum machines with the monome ecosystem is just incredible. It would start to be able to influence not just the modular, but the rest of the studio too. Especially if it could do so on different MIDI channels - then just a TT paired with a multitimbral synth would be a very powerful music making device.

I hadn’t brought it up because there is already so much amazingly generous development by the community here and I have nothing to offer in terms of technical know-how. But if someone is interested to make this happen, I’d do my best to support with beta-testing, encouragement and eternal thanks :smiley:

I have an op proposal.

CV.TOG N A B

Toggles between making CV N the value of A and B upon each trigger. It is equivalent to a 2 length pattern on 0 and the command CV N PN.NEXT 0. CV.SLEW and CV.OFF should work normally.

One benefit would be very quickly coded, scaled unipolar LFOs. Also keep vars/patterns open for more complicated things.

Ideas that implement this in quick/tricky ways with existing ops are appreciated too!

EVERY 2: CV N A
OTHER: CV N B

does the same thing.

Or this:

CV N SCALE 0 1 A B FLIP

starting with 2.3 you can also use ternary if: CV N ? FLIP A B

Teletype 3.0

Thank y’all so much for the suggestions!

Sorry if I’ve missed this in another discussion I haven’t as much time as I’d like to lately. I just wanted to check if this idea introduced by Tehn; TIMELINES has gotten any traction or seen as viable?

This has not been implemented currently. It continues to get mentions in the development threads as a future push (perhaps v3).

edit: This has sounded really sweet to me ever since they mentioned it, as it would allow a lot of deeper features. But it’s obviously a rather complex initiative and there seem to be some other development priorities (as well as other amazing features that keep getting added in the meantime!)

Timeline or even just a longer init script would be :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

It would be cool but I’m very grateful for all the incredible work that has been done already!

I love the limitations of lines, lengths, scripts, and the functional thinking Teletype enforces. My only wish would be to have a bit more flexibility connecting the pieces. For example, would love the ability to programmatically read/write pattern data between scenes, something like:

// return the value of cell 2 on pattern 0 scene 1
SCENE.PN 1 0 2

// set the value of cell 2 on pattern 0 scene 1 to be 3
SCENE.PN 1 0 2 3

Was thinking of something like a utility reader/writer scene that could capture, modify, and write pattern data for other scenes to consume.

Another request, how about an optional argument to scripts? R defaults to 0, but you could pass it to SCRIPT:

// Script 1, complicated code to derive some fleeting value, in our case 3
SCRIPT 1 3

// Script 2, output R volts, by default 0, in this case 3
CV 1 V R

I understand you can use variables to accomplish this exact task, but I’ve been relying on variables more as dynamic configuration values or within the scope of a single script, and doing it this way would remove the complexity of tracking what variable is being used where/how.

PS. Apologies if I’ve missed discussions about these ideas elsewhere, or its already possible and I’m not seeing it (yet).

This may be something that the Timeline feature would handle?

Teletype v2 proposals

Related to arguments, but maybe less in the spirit of the device, how about RETURN:

// Script 1, more complicated code, more fleeting values, this time.... 4
RETURN 4

// Script 2
CV 1 V SCRIPT 1  // 4 volts!

// with arguments

// Script 3
CV 1 V R

// Script 4
SCRIPT 3 SCRIPT 1

Oh true! Can think of it as one big memory bank we can freely read/write to. Store commands that set certain scales, oh man, so fun!