Teletype v2 proposals

teletype

Sorry if I’ve missed this in another discussion I haven’t as much time as I’d like to lately. I just wanted to check if this idea introduced by Tehn; TIMELINES has gotten any traction or seen as viable?

0 Likes

This has not been implemented currently. It continues to get mentions in the development threads as a future push (perhaps v3).

edit: This has sounded really sweet to me ever since they mentioned it, as it would allow a lot of deeper features. But it’s obviously a rather complex initiative and there seem to be some other development priorities (as well as other amazing features that keep getting added in the meantime!)

3 Likes

Timeline or even just a longer init script would be :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

It would be cool but I’m very grateful for all the incredible work that has been done already!

3 Likes

I love the limitations of lines, lengths, scripts, and the functional thinking Teletype enforces. My only wish would be to have a bit more flexibility connecting the pieces. For example, would love the ability to programmatically read/write pattern data between scenes, something like:

// return the value of cell 2 on pattern 0 scene 1
SCENE.PN 1 0 2

// set the value of cell 2 on pattern 0 scene 1 to be 3
SCENE.PN 1 0 2 3

Was thinking of something like a utility reader/writer scene that could capture, modify, and write pattern data for other scenes to consume.

Another request, how about an optional argument to scripts? R defaults to 0, but you could pass it to SCRIPT:

// Script 1, complicated code to derive some fleeting value, in our case 3
SCRIPT 1 3

// Script 2, output R volts, by default 0, in this case 3
CV 1 V R

I understand you can use variables to accomplish this exact task, but I’ve been relying on variables more as dynamic configuration values or within the scope of a single script, and doing it this way would remove the complexity of tracking what variable is being used where/how.

PS. Apologies if I’ve missed discussions about these ideas elsewhere, or its already possible and I’m not seeing it (yet).

0 Likes

This may be something that the Timeline feature would handle?

Teletype v2 proposals

1 Like

Related to arguments, but maybe less in the spirit of the device, how about RETURN:

// Script 1, more complicated code, more fleeting values, this time.... 4
RETURN 4

// Script 2
CV 1 V SCRIPT 1  // 4 volts!

// with arguments

// Script 3
CV 1 V R

// Script 4
SCRIPT 3 SCRIPT 1
1 Like

Oh true! Can think of it as one big memory bank we can freely read/write to. Store commands that set certain scales, oh man, so fun!

1 Like