Teletype, what other module has it replaced for you?

Just curious if you got rid of some sequencer or random generator module or else after acquiring a TT?

i’d have to say the teletype does so many things that can not be done elsewhere. that said, after the addition of teletype and an ansible/grid got rid of all my other sequencers (gate & cv) and random generators. rene, source of uncertainty etc.

teletype was my first non-sound-generating module. whenever i’m intrigued with other modules i ask myself can teletype do that? the answer is often yes.

1 Like

I’m thinking of letting the URA go for the same reasons! as a random source it is the obvious replacement.

And now with the TXo it even has sound!

which makes me wonder even more, will the expander be able to generate envelopes, lfo etc?

1 Like

Yes. Details here:

awesome, next week!!

I’ve been thinking recently to get the Malekko Voltage Block module, do you guys reckon similar functonality would be possible with TT and Telex?

Sort of.

Advantages of the VB:
-8 tracks (Teletype can only do 4 internal patterns)
-Slider-based programming interface
-CV mode, where you can lookup voltages from a CV input instead of clocking the unit.
-Very quick and easy quantization. The TXo adds quicker per-output quantization to TT, though, which is great.
-Ability to turn on smoothing per-step (This could be done somewhat with TT and SLEW, but would be rather complicated to target only specific steps per pattern)

Advantages of the Teletype emulating something like VB:
-Each track is completely independently clockable. On the VB, you can add per-track clock division, but that’s about it.
-More steps (up to 64 in a pattern, I think. VB has 16).
-Wider voltage range

The closest Monome analog to Voltage Block is Kria with its “one clock driving phasing patterns” concept.

couldn’t you split the pattern banks in half? so tracks 1-4 use values 0-31 and tracks 5-8 use values 32-64?

1 Like

you could even do 64 4 step sequences, the only limitation would be the number of physical outputs (but you could add more with ansible or telex).

you can also do CV lookup easily, something like P RSH IN 8 (right shift here is to scale the full input range to 64 steps).

1 Like

i wouldn’t say teletype replaced some modules for me - i’ve downsized my setup, so what i have is used often, and for something like that it’s still more convenient to have modules dedicated to specific tasks. but tt is great for small systems precisely because it can play many different roles.

there is one thing where teletype is better than a dedicated module - i call it the “what if” syndrome. it’s super easy to take a concept and experiment with it further - tt is great at encouraging such thinking, you build something, say a simple sequencer, then think “what if i made it jump to a random position when trigger 5 is received?” “what if i use 2nd pattern bank to specify how long each step is?” etc etc

10 Likes