Teletype workflow, basics, and questions

You can call the scripts using the function keys (F1 for script 1 etc.) and also call scripts from other scripts (e.g. the M script) using SCRIPT x, where x is the number of script called.

3 Likes

How is everyone interfacing their Teletype with external sequencing? So far I’ve been heavily relying on Ableton for control and I’ve been having a hard time getting Teletype to play along.

i try to use literally everything in my rack that can generate gates to make TT output sound more organic and less “sequenced.” for me it’s a combination of SQ-1, triggers from Pam’s (usually with a euclidean pattern and slop and skip %s turned up to make it sound a bit less rigid), maths EOR/EOC gates, EVERY functions within TT, and manual script triggering using F1-F8.

i’ve barely scratched the surface of sequencing from the computer, but i hope to learn more about that in the future!

I mostly use TT for gate sequencing, sometimes for synchronized modulation CV or transposition.

I clock it from Marbles, or I clock Marbles from it – taking advantage of Marbles’ jitter and/or ability to follow rhythmic patterns.

1 Like

Does anyone have tips for messing with triggers? For instance, I’d like to be able to repeat an incoming trigger at random time divisions. Probably LSH 1 X would be my friend here, but I’m having trouble seeing how I could actually repeat an event multiple times… Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

The latest 3.0 firmware beta for Teletype (D88D64E, available here) includes the new DEL.X and DEL.R ops that should do precisely what you’re after :slight_smile: I’ve been playing with DEL.X and it’s great fun. For instance, to repeat an incoming trigger say 3 times with an interval of 100ms between each, the code would look like this:

DEL.X 3 100: TR.P 1

You can get amazing rhythms by using random values in there, or divisions of your M clock.

9 Likes

alright, that’s pretty much perfect! :slight_smile: I’ll head that way. Thanks Olivier.

1 Like

Clock M variations with nothing in inputs possible? Infant steps :slight_smile:

yep! M RRAND 100 1000 will set the metro timer to some interval in that range, and you could include this in your M script! You could extend this by changing how it sets the interval, or by adding an EVERY PRE to have it change only once every few steps

3 Likes

Thanks, to make it clear as I’m still on studies 2, will this allow me to have different clocking times on different scripts?

1 Like

ohhhhhh I see. no, I was thinking about changing the rate of the Metro script automatically. to trigger other scripts from M at various rates automatically is definitely possible, though! Keep reading till you get to conditionals and the Tracker, then let’s talk.

3 Likes

Question:

Why does p.rnd get its bounds from p.start and p.end, not p.l?

My guess is so if you insert into a pattern (P.INS) and not affect the range?

1 Like

i implemented it this way because then you can control both the start and the end point of the range you select from.

as a side note i find having both P.END and P.L just creates confusion, but as it’s the existing behaviour it has to be supported. but for P ops that deal with range it makes more sense to use P.START and P.END as the range definition.

3 Likes

Thanks, clear and concise :slight_smile:

How does TT work as just a general sequencer? What are the limitations?

If I wanted to just have patterns with notes and durations, is that possible? I know there is the tracker interface but I’m noT sure how it works or what it does. Could you switch between so called patterns?

I guess I’m just wondering if you could use TT as a “traditional” sequencer as well as doing the algorithmic patterns.

I guess I’m just wondering if you could use TT as a “traditional” sequencer as well as doing the algorithmic patterns.

You can do script 1 with a single line CV 1 N PN.NEXT 0 and then the pattern values will correspond to semitones, coming out of CV 1. It would move forward each time trigger in 1 is triggered, wrapped to whatever the length of the pattern is set to.

Could you switch between so called patterns?

Yes, that’s easy to script. Change script 1 to CV 1 N PN.NEXT X, and have script 2 be X MOD ADD X 1 4 to switch between the 4 patterns upon trigger 2 getting a trigger.

Basically scripting up a super simple (or 4 super simple) sequencers is really easy, and it is very easy to control them in most any way you can think of due to the scriptable nature of teletype.

The “cons” of teletype are that there is a bigger learning curve to getting used to scripting things up and learning the syntax. The pattern screen is also not as playable as some other multi-sequence controllers (such as new rene) out of the box. But grid control mode really helps with that if you have or are planning on getting a grid. Things like changing the length and start/end position of patterns is super easy and playable with that.

3 Likes

thanks for the reply!

How long can the patterns be?

Also, do the triggers have to be external? I believe there is a metronome operator you can use, but I would think that would make every note the same length. Is there a way to input durations?

Also with the pattern switching, is there a way to do that without an external trigger as well?

1 Like

Patterns can have 64 steps.

You can run everything off the metronome script with no external triggers, if you like – either at a constant rate, or using the M script to change the time of each step. You can decide whether or not to call the script that plays the next note, according to another pattern, algorithm, etc. It’s extremely flexible.

2 Likes

So it is like how I’ve been dreaming it is…ha ha thank you.

3 Likes