Teletype workflow, basics, and questions

To create an eco-system of sorts, besides the monome stuff, I would gravitate towards Random Source Serge (DUSG, NCOM, SSG) or Make Noise modules that generate gates, like Maths and Function, but also Morphagene/Phonogene.

One thing I don’t see talked about very often is the Xaoc Drezno + expanders. You can feed waveforms in and it will generate unique gate patterns.

And something like Wogglebug or an Ultra Random Analog would be fun too.

3 Likes

nb: this works with TIME cv, but not the FM input - assuming you are in sound range. The FM input jack is AC-coupled in sound range (but not in shape range)

2 Likes

the simplicity and patch-programmability of 1/n are what drew me to it (the serge-esqueness) and it seems like it could possibly do a lot of interesting jittery rhythmic sequences in various time signatures, especially with cold mac too. do you find random or let’s say “influenced” random more interesting to put into teletype to create a sort of self-regulating musical ecosystem? drezno does look wild, but as with random i worry about tame-ability and control – I’m not that interested in making generative music per se

Teletype is event based, where triggers or the metronome cause things to happen. You can add probability and random to scripts to shake things up. I guess it depends on what kind of music you’re trying to make.

Personally, I like Teletype in small systems as putting it in a larger system makes me feel like it’s capabilities are underutilized.

Drezno creates repeatable patterns when fed a waveform. I don’t have one anymore, but the patterns it put out were somewhat unique, like an odd take on a clock divider almost…hard to describe.

1 Like

Quick question…

Can you program LFOs and envelopes in the teletype?

You can set a slew rate for each CV output, which can be used as a building block for creating linear envelopes and LFOs. Support for additional easing functions (slew logarithmically, cubically, etc.) has been proposed, which could have some interesting applications. The TXo expander has its own processor and supports triggerable attack-decay envelopes as well as oscillators which go from slow LFOs to well into audio range and support a range of different wave shapes.

1 Like

Favorite partners for Teletype:

16n Faderbank: adding more real-time control opens things up a bit. I especially like it for sequencing, or changing probabilities. I also frequently use Teletype to just pass the fader values over i2c to ER-301, but that doesn’t really feel like using Teletype.

Strangely, despite the i2c connection I don’t feel like TT and ER-301 are especially close otherwise; once I realized I had patched analog CV between them when I could have just sent an SC.CV :blush:

The main way I use TT is a trigger stream manipulator – an algorithmic gate sequencer, divider/multiplier, etc. with occasional CV for modulation or sequencing, and sometimes using the CV input for S&H/shift register processing of another sequencer. Marbles fits into that very well and makes a good partner. To a lesser extent, other sequencers do too.

6 Likes

Have you tried Triggering your teletype via your TXo? I have a similar setup, but im not triggering drums in my 301 so i might just be missing the lack of sync you’re experiencing because im in a wash of ambience. Ive been using TO.TR.M.ACT 1 1 to activate an independant metronome on TO’s first trigger, then setting it to 25ms with TO.TR.M 1 25 and connecting a cable to my teletype script that reads the 16n faders and controls all the SC.CV. Im curious if you’ve found a solution.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to add a double-click functionallity to the Teletype? For example, connecting the gate out of my Beaststep Pro to script 1, and making it do something different when I double press the corresponding pad?

That’s not really something that the Teletype supports. You could try to hack around it by triggering something on every alternate press, or by checking the time from the last press, and in the scripts that checking triggering a different script if that less than some value, or greater than some value.

1 Like

you can almost get there with something like…

1:
X LAST $
IF < X 150: TR.P 1
ELIF > X 150: TR.P 2

Trigger 1 will only fire on quick double presses, the only problem is that trigger 2 will fire almost every time/too often.

1 Like

Well, I’m now using a solution similar to the one you suggest. The script reading the faders is now triggered at a lower rate by Pamela’s New Workout and not by the internal metronome anymore. That seems to have ameliorated the overall stability and sync but of course this also means having PNW constantly running :-/ I might try using a TXo metro as you do.

1 Like

A fast lfo (or slow osc) might free up your pams for other duties…

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I’ll try that.

I’m currently trying to use my teletype as a kind of glitch effect kind of thing, a different effect per script. Script 1 sync’s the Metro to the Beatstep Pro clock.

I am trying to make it so that triggering script 2 will toggle a script that divides the speed of M by 2, then goes back to normal if I were to press it again. I also want the speed of M to change constantly in relation to the BSP clock even while script 2 is active and the speed of M is cut in half.

I’ve got to the point where everything works except the speed of M doesn’t change while script 2 is active.

Any advice?

Thanks

Not sure exactly what you want to do, and if I can help, but the seeing your scene would make it much easier for us to provide quality advice…

Is there a way to get current cv values from ansible when in midi mode?
Use case: midi controller > ansible> teletype>justfriends
trying to use midi notes into ansible (monophonic midi mode) to control pitch via justtype
a triggered script like:
JF.VOX 1 MID.CV 1 v 3

Or, Is it possible to get the cv values of ansible without using specific program ops?
something general like?
ANS.CV 1

1 Like

I have a quick question, Is there a way to reset EVERY commands so that their counts begin again from 0?

SYNC 0
or if you want them all to fire immediately on next call
SYNC -1

3 Likes

I have been using my teletype to ‘follow gates’. Scripts that look like the following:

W STATE 1: TR 1 1
TR 1 0

Work for the most part, but in some instances with long gates it will go to zero while the state is still 1. Is there a built in WHILE timeout or max iteration? If there is, can it be configurable?

I have run this with a single trigger input and no other scripted events occurring (no M or I, or other trigs pre-empting the W loop).

I am on the 3.0+ beta E27F640. I recently updated from 3.0 because my scenes kept getting deleted. I’m not positive if this behavior occurred earlier.

1 Like