Teletype workflow, basics, and questions

teletype

#242

Hi, that was my recommendation! And for reliable triggering I would have each triggered script briefly mute its own input (a primitive debounce). The scene you describe would be a very simple affair. I have a Just Type scene which does something very similar; 8 trigger inputs which simply strum the JF at different intervals / # voices.


#243

Could the result be summed to one cv out/ and gate?
This is probably far of the script per trigger concept but would work in my imagination as a scene with a 1v/oct source through the pads!?


#244

Sure if all 8 scripts pointed at the same CV output, the output would reflect the latest assigned value. Or you could hocket between any number of CV outputs, or make a shift register, or whatever… Sky’s the limit!

I have never tried to make a sustained gate output while the input is high. I speculated on it here: Teletype workflow for dummies


#245

Awesome. Didnt know TT does SR too. I would probably try to set up a few very usable scripts/scenes and just use it from there.

Lost you on the sustained gates tbh. But i just meant note off through the tr outs. Dunno if that works

And this module is really recomended for complete code strangers without a great relationship to mathematics outside of naturalism philosophical mind sets.

Just cause : effect and knowledge of the cv/modular language and shorts?


#246

There is a good set of tutorials here: https://monome.org/docs/modular/teletype/studies-1/

I’d recommend reading through them to get a sense of Teletype’s complexity. Most of my scripts are only a few lines each.


#247

Quick question, can’t seem to wrap my head around it:

Is there some way of making the TT follow incoming 1V/OCT using the IN jack?


#248

In what way follow? Are you hoping for a sample and hold or a quantizer?


#249

I’m hoping I could feed a v/oct CV signal to the input.

Then,

A IN
jf.note N A V 5

The thing that throws me off is the IN number handling. ^That doesn’t work yet, I know stuff is missing – but is this even doable?


#250

oooooh, just ditch the N from that line, I think: In returns a voltage read as a 12(?)-bit integer; CV Outs already expect such an integer, so you don’t need to use the note lookup table

A IN
JF.NOTE A V 5

Worth mentioning: this isn’t the same as writing a patch cable that connects the In jack on Teletype to Just Friends’s volt per octave jack (which, depending, could actually be the better connection to make here) rather, Teletype will now sample the incoming voltage whenever this script receives a trigger and then tell Just Friends to play that note.


#251

Thanks! I just tried that, and the tracking is very much off. On top of that, there’s a delay in registering the CV change. If I play

C D E F
it comes out as
C C D D.

Also, the V/oct input on the JF doesn’t seem to do anything when Synthesis mode is on.

Will have to investigate further.


#252

Not in front of my synth, but maybe try adding a little bit of a delay to the JF.NOTE command.

A IN
DEL 10: JF.NOTE A V 5

#253

as @Justmat said, the delay usually does the trick for me. i use a script like this all the time. it may depend on your sequencer, but for ansible and earthsea i find even just DEL 1 works for me. i also get better results putting it on both lines.

also regarding the v/oct input, since you’re now controlling pitch via TT, that input has other uses depending on whether you are in transient, sustain, or cycle modes. usually i’m in transient mode, and it controls the duration of each note. i’m not sure if it does anything in sustain mode, but i think in cycle mode it controls the rate of the amplitude modulation? not in front of my system right now to confirm, but hope that helps!


#254

Are Teletype scripts synchronous? Like if I had an infinite W loop running in a script would it block any other scripts from executing?


#255

Thanks for the help! I didn’t know about the V/oct input’s alternate uses. that actually clears some stuff up :slight_smile:

Funny, I’m driving the JT synthesis from a Cirklon, and I need something closer to 30 as a delay for it to track reliably… :-o


#256

W loops have a limit of 10000. So I believe it would block for 10000 executions of the W command.


#257

Ah gotcha yeah I figured it would block. I’m trying to think of a way where I can use the Param knob almost like one of the rings on Arc in Levels mode to output quantized CV at different positions. I was thinking I’d need a runloop of some sort though to get that effect hence the while loop.


#258

I think the metro script is what you’re looking for, for a “run loop” kind of concept. Just run metro at high speeds


#259

Yeah that makes sense, I normally use that as my central clock but with Ansible I could offload that duty to it instead. That’s better suited for clocking anyway IMO. Thanks!


#260

I’m not sure if this makes sense as a for dummies question, but it might be a good learning exercise for everyone here:

I was thinking about ways to create more interesting rhythms out of my existing Volca Beats drum machine, and the most intuitive way I could think of was to mess with the tempo sync. The key is, I still want it to fall into sort of a regular rhythm, maybe every 128 beats or so. So I’m trying to devise a system where the beat will skip ahead and fall behind a bit, but the further it falls behind, the more likely it will be to skip ahead, and vice versa, so that once it reaches 128 beats it’s back on rhythm again.

Any unique strategies for this? One thing I’m considering is using a variable that starts at 5, and it time it jumps ahead, I’ll add one, and each time it falls behind I’ll subtract one. So at 5 there’s a 50% chance of either falling behind or jumping ahead, but as it reaches 9, there’s a 90% chance of falling behind, and if it reached 1, there’s a 10% chance of falling behind.

This is all well and good, but I still can’t guarantee I’ll have exactly 128 triggers firing across 128 clock pulses, so I’m not sure this will sound as rhythmic as I want. Any better techniques of distributing 128 beats somewhat randomly?


#261

trigger delays with variable delay time or/and variable probability of the delay happening maybe?