Teletype workflow, basics, and questions

teletype

Fantastic! Thank you, that’s great information.
I’ve been following the (now) v3 RC thread for a few weeks, the development from the community is what sold me on the Teletype, which arrived a few days ago :slight_smile:

what is the best way to get up to date on teletype ops additions/changes since the first version?

i did all of the studies (which were wonderfully educational) on the first version and recently updated to 2.3. i know that there’s a list of commands with all of the latest stuff, but is there a guide on how to use those commands akin to the studies?

I guess the What’s New section in the manual is not quite what you’re after, then?

Also, below each list of commands is a little blurb describing each of the commands in a little more detail. I know they’re not quite studies, but I imagine those take a lot more time to make

ah that is useful! more detail on turtle was what i was initially after; between this and some experimentation i should be able to figure it out. thx!

If there’s a specific op you’re interested in, you may be able to find more info on it by doing a search in the development sub forum.

There’s so many teletype threads I get lost sometimes. Which sub forum do you refer too? Thanks

I think there’s a category named Development. The search function would get you there regardless.

Yes I’m referring to the Development category. For example the CHAOS Op thread is a good reference for how the Op works.

really curious to see a musical example of the chaos operator. i recall reading a lot of that thread last year without ever getting a sense of what kind of situations it would be fruitful in.

Unfortunately this is on my to do list, so I can’t give any examples currently. From the little of what I’ve gathered CHAOS act like another random generator, but one with a defined curve. For example, the Cubic algorithm should generate numbers that follow a sine like shape if graphed over a long period of time. However the rate of change between each consecutive number will be random. Again this is what I derived from 15 minutes of research, so it could be way off base.

This post I made a while back might help.

I used the example Chaos code in that thread to make random triggers

tl;dr: Do any of y’all use Teletype to handle “traditional” sequencing duties, and if so, any strategies you’d like to share?

Longer version: I’m a bit addicted to trying out sequencers, but recently took all of them except for Teletype out of my main 6U. It’s an experiment, but so far I’m loving it. Thinking of sequences as collections of numbers jives well with me. I also love how easy it is to introducing randomness / variation, which was the major shortcoming of my favorite vanilla sequencers, ER-101/2.

(I know that ER-102 does allow some control of variability / randomness, but it has never been intuitive to me and feels a bit tacked on.)

Back to Teletype: as much as it’s been mostly perfect, the thing I’m struggling to find an intuitive way to do now is have execute sequencers with a defined (ie, not random) but also not constant rhythm.

This is something that ER-101 does very well: each “step” has a duration. So I could dial in some duration differences to, say, take an 8-note sequence and present it as a mix of eighth & quarter notes. While I don’t see this sort of sequencing as the primary strength of the Teletype, it would be nice to do sometimes, without having to overload myself with sequencing options.

Does anyone have any strategies for accomplishing this with Teletype? I’m happy to hear about gate sequencers or small sequencers that folks might be using for gate sequencing that they’d recommend as well. I’m considering the Varigate 4+; I think I could dial in the sort of thing I’m after with a mix of its RPT for certain steps.

I don’t know if it’s what you’re looking for but I like the ER OP for something like that

There are several possibilities, but my favorite is using “magic numbers” to indicate rests, ties, etc. in the same stream as the note data. For instance, if 999 is a rest, you can have a pattern that goes “0, 999, 999, 4, 999, 7, 12, 999.”

• If you only need triggers, or fixed length gates, do nothing on a 999 step, and do a TR.P and a CV on other steps (with the appropriate TR.TIME set).

• If you want gates to be legato, but treat 999 as a rest: close the gate on a 999, open them on any other value.

• If you want gates to hold until the next note: do nothing on a 999. On any other value, open the gate. Read ahead, and if the next number is NOT 999, set a timer to close the gate before the next pulse.

• You could use 888 to indicate a hold (do nothing) and 999 to indicate a rest (turn gate off).

I’ve thought about doing something similar but using a second array for triggers. Basically just a parallel list with 0’s and 1’s to signify rests and triggers with continuous 1’s being sustained notes. Need to apply it though to see how well it would work.

Another option is to encode rhythms in binary. A single variable will give you a 16-step rhythm, and you don’t even need to store the current step anywhere. For instance:

1010100101010000 = 43344

And then on each step, check the leftmost bit and rotate left.

1:
B BGET A 16
A ADD B LSH A 1
IF B: $2

(Code not tested, just theory.)

wow THIS is BRILLIANT

As an addendum to this, have you figured out a way to make LSH, RSH ops that wrap around?

Another neat tip is the O+C hemisphere applet has a sequencer that utilizes a similar bit sequencer for 4 steps at a time that you can manipulate with the turn of a knob.

wow i had no idea about this functionality! i’ve also been wondering about how to use rests and ties in TT sequences.