Teletype workflow, basics, and questions

teletype

You can set gate length for TR. PULSE using TR.TIME.

Can the tr time be arbitrarily infinite?

Probably best if you read the TT studies, but in short yes.

https://monome.org/docs/modular/teletype/studies-1/

I received my teletype last week. I think it’s definitely possible to do what you want with it, I can see a few way of programming it to do “traditional” sequences like you’re saying.

But I’d also say that if what you’re looking for is traditional sequencing this is not the most effective solution.

I really like it because of the “programming” workflow, and being able to mix generative and controlled sequencing.

Something good with this kind of tool is to try to understand what they can do instead of trying to fit an pre-conceived idea of it. Then see if that’s useful for you or not :slight_smile:

Check the docs and the studies (and just type studies too!), they are really well done and provide a good idea of capabilities.

You can switch an output to be permanently ON or OFF (high or low) using TR.TOG.

Yes I totally understand and I am excited about this!

Teletype for dummies - how do I increment the O variable? I can do it in LIVE mode but having O in a script and triggering it doesn’t seem to work. I can O ADD O 1 but I could do this with any variable. Clearly I am missing something.

calling it should just return the next integer from when you last called it.

do you want to post the code?

O is incremented by 1 (by default) automatically after each time you access it.

Note that you can set the amount it dec/increments and min/max/wraps.

Check the Variables section in the pdf :wink:

Thanks and yes I know what it’s meant to do but I guess I’m asking how to call it? ie in live mode type O and get 0 type O again and get 1 etc. but in a script I have O, trigger the script, then go to live and it hasn’t incremented. I thought calling a variable was just “O” as opposed to “O x” which assigns it a value. Thanks

Thanks @capogreco see my response above, it’s an issue with calling variables in a script I think

There is a different independent instance of O for each script (and for live mode).

Ah brilliant! I missed this somewhere. It makes sense then

Really ? I always assumed it was a shared variable.
Nice to know !

Anyone used Marbles and TT together? Before I got Marbles (only just last week…) I was waiting on TT, but now I’m worried that (a) Marbles will become redundant and (b) I’ll have too many modules to learn. I’m thiiiis close to buying a TT today, so input is very appreciated. (Sorry if this has been asked before!)

they’ll likely have a VERY different feel, so I imagine having both should be fine. (b) is very real, however, it took me a month or two to really assimilate Teletype into my mental rack, as it were

i don’t know very much about marbles, but one thing that i wish i had to pair with teletype is an external gate source with some controllable chaos built in to trigger the scripts. it seems like marbles would be able to handle that job beautifully?

Yup! I’ve posted about it in another thread here somewhere, but I frequently use them together.

My main use of TT is to generate gate/trigger patterns from either the internal metronome or external clocks. So I often have TT clocking Marbles or Marbles clocking TT :slight_smile:

the above describes I variable, there is only one instance of O variable shared by every script.

@yoyosandshoes can you try a simple test? in your script do something like A O so that O value gets stored in a different variable (i’m using A here) and then watch it in live screen (use ~ to switch on the variable view). if you’re still seeing some strangeness post your script here, there might be something else going on.

Hmm, I could have sworn O was independent. [EDIT: I was definitely wrong though.] It’s possible I had some scenes in the past working entirely by coincidence :slight_smile: