Teletype workflow, basics, and questions

teletype

yeah, i was thinking perhaps something coming off the i2c bus? maybe a breakout cable or panel? not sure if that would be possible. i think it is a long shot but so useful (for me anyway). i suppose if you could generate the 24ppqn then use a standalone din to midi converter that would work. i am just hoping for an in the box, one cable solution.

yeah, I think the answer currently then is “not without another module and tying up a trigger output or two with the clock and/or start/stop signals.”

Hi all,

I have a quick question regarding a Teletype setup that I’m working with. I have been using the Teletype to midi trigger video clips via a CV -> Midi convertor module, the Doepfer A-192. In order for the A-192 to convert the voltages accurately to midi notes it’s required that the gates reach the module after the note CV. So, to guarantee that happens I’m imposing a 20ms delay on the gate. Because I’m also using an IF condition to decide whether a gate is output or not (IF note equals Zero, output no gate) I’m forced to use a second script to add the delay (I patch TR1 out into SCRIPT2 on the teletype)

Here’s how I have it currently

X PN.NEXT 0
CV 1 N X
IF NZ X: TR.P 1

DEL 20: TR.P 2

Can anyone here advise if there is a more streamlined method of doing this? Any way to do it without having to use the 2nd script and perhaps a way to do it without using a variable?

Many thanks!

And a shameless plug: If you’re interested, check me out on instagram. I am theb_roll. https://www.instagram.com/theb_roll/?hl=en

1st - I can see you’re using a trigger output and presumably routing it to a trigger input. You can skip this by calling a script directly by using the SCRIPT x or $ x OP, which is just like receiving a trigger on input x.

2nd - You can accomplish this all in one script (without variables) like so:

CV 1 N PN.NEXT 0
IF EZ PN.HERE 0: BREAK
DEL 20: TR.P 2

Oh man! Thank you so much! I think I see what you’re doing. If the number equals 0, don’t move forward with the rest of the script, ie BREAK.

I knew there was probably some way of doing it but I just wasn’t seeing it. Thank you so much! You just opened up two more scripts for me to add other functionality. Thanks a lot!

Much appreciated!!!

Just started the studies…quick q: can I run the scripts without input triggers? thanks

You can call the scripts using the function keys (F1 for script 1 etc.) and also call scripts from other scripts (e.g. the M script) using SCRIPT x, where x is the number of script called.

How is everyone interfacing their Teletype with external sequencing? So far I’ve been heavily relying on Ableton for control and I’ve been having a hard time getting Teletype to play along.

i try to use literally everything in my rack that can generate gates to make TT output sound more organic and less “sequenced.” for me it’s a combination of SQ-1, triggers from Pam’s (usually with a euclidean pattern and slop and skip %s turned up to make it sound a bit less rigid), maths EOR/EOC gates, EVERY functions within TT, and manual script triggering using F1-F8.

i’ve barely scratched the surface of sequencing from the computer, but i hope to learn more about that in the future!

I mostly use TT for gate sequencing, sometimes for synchronized modulation CV or transposition.

I clock it from Marbles, or I clock Marbles from it – taking advantage of Marbles’ jitter and/or ability to follow rhythmic patterns.

Does anyone have tips for messing with triggers? For instance, I’d like to be able to repeat an incoming trigger at random time divisions. Probably LSH 1 X would be my friend here, but I’m having trouble seeing how I could actually repeat an event multiple times… Thanks :slight_smile:

The latest 3.0 firmware beta for Teletype (D88D64E, available here) includes the new DEL.X and DEL.R ops that should do precisely what you’re after :slight_smile: I’ve been playing with DEL.X and it’s great fun. For instance, to repeat an incoming trigger say 3 times with an interval of 100ms between each, the code would look like this:

DEL.X 3 100: TR.P 1

You can get amazing rhythms by using random values in there, or divisions of your M clock.

alright, that’s pretty much perfect! :slight_smile: I’ll head that way. Thanks Olivier.

Clock M variations with nothing in inputs possible? Infant steps :slight_smile:

yep! M RRAND 100 1000 will set the metro timer to some interval in that range, and you could include this in your M script! You could extend this by changing how it sets the interval, or by adding an EVERY PRE to have it change only once every few steps

Thanks, to make it clear as I’m still on studies 2, will this allow me to have different clocking times on different scripts?

ohhhhhh I see. no, I was thinking about changing the rate of the Metro script automatically. to trigger other scripts from M at various rates automatically is definitely possible, though! Keep reading till you get to conditionals and the Tracker, then let’s talk.

Question:

Why does p.rnd get its bounds from p.start and p.end, not p.l?

My guess is so if you insert into a pattern (P.INS) and not affect the range?

i implemented it this way because then you can control both the start and the end point of the range you select from.

as a side note i find having both P.END and P.L just creates confusion, but as it’s the existing behaviour it has to be supported. but for P ops that deal with range it makes more sense to use P.START and P.END as the range definition.

Teletype 3.+ feature requests and discussion