Teletype workflow, basics, and questions

teletype

Thanks, clear and concise :slight_smile:

How does TT work as just a general sequencer? What are the limitations?

If I wanted to just have patterns with notes and durations, is that possible? I know there is the tracker interface but I’m noT sure how it works or what it does. Could you switch between so called patterns?

I guess I’m just wondering if you could use TT as a “traditional” sequencer as well as doing the algorithmic patterns.

I guess I’m just wondering if you could use TT as a “traditional” sequencer as well as doing the algorithmic patterns.

You can do script 1 with a single line CV 1 N PN.NEXT 0 and then the pattern values will correspond to semitones, coming out of CV 1. It would move forward each time trigger in 1 is triggered, wrapped to whatever the length of the pattern is set to.

Could you switch between so called patterns?

Yes, that’s easy to script. Change script 1 to CV 1 N PN.NEXT X, and have script 2 be X MOD ADD X 1 4 to switch between the 4 patterns upon trigger 2 getting a trigger.

Basically scripting up a super simple (or 4 super simple) sequencers is really easy, and it is very easy to control them in most any way you can think of due to the scriptable nature of teletype.

The “cons” of teletype are that there is a bigger learning curve to getting used to scripting things up and learning the syntax. The pattern screen is also not as playable as some other multi-sequence controllers (such as new rene) out of the box. But grid control mode really helps with that if you have or are planning on getting a grid. Things like changing the length and start/end position of patterns is super easy and playable with that.

thanks for the reply!

How long can the patterns be?

Also, do the triggers have to be external? I believe there is a metronome operator you can use, but I would think that would make every note the same length. Is there a way to input durations?

Also with the pattern switching, is there a way to do that without an external trigger as well?

Patterns can have 64 steps.

You can run everything off the metronome script with no external triggers, if you like – either at a constant rate, or using the M script to change the time of each step. You can decide whether or not to call the script that plays the next note, according to another pattern, algorithm, etc. It’s extremely flexible.

So it is like how I’ve been dreaming it is…ha ha thank you.

Several orders of magnitude more powerful than your wildest dreams, probably.

imagine a module that could behave either as rene, or metropolis, or klee. now imagine the mode itself could be controlled with a trigger or a cv. you can do that with teletype. you could create a unique sequencer in each of the 32 scenes, and sequence these sequencers…

Hi All,
It’s probably my lack of basic programming experience, but I’m trying to figure out how to generate a 0 or 1, based on probability, within a loop. For example:

L 0 8: P I TOSS

But rather than TOSS (50%), have it be variable probability.

I have a feeling it probably involves dividing or modulo a random number, but my shots in the dark are not hitting anything. Thanks for any help!

One way to do it could be

L 0 8: P I > RAND 100 60

since > will return 1 if true and 0 if false, you’ll get 1 when your random number is greater than 60.

:man_facepalming:
I knew it was something straightforward that I was overlooking. That’s totally it. Thank you!

is it possible to set slew between notes while using Just Type? i tried using CV.SLEW last night but it didn’t seem to be working.

No. CV.SLEW n only applies to the physical CV outs on Teletype. The TXo can slew with a similar op, TO.CV.SLEW n, but there is no corresponding op for JF.

You may be able to fake it with a loop changing the pitch of JF.VOX…

or with JF.SHIFT. Would be interesting to see what kind of strange effects you get by trying to fake it :thinking:

Using the latest beta release 25E14EE:
I can write:

IF EZ G.BTNV: BRK; J G.BTNI

but the remaining instructions (J. G.BTNI) after the BREAK won’t execute, even if G.BTNV is not zero, I have to write this variable on the next line. Is it the normal behavior ?

Teletype 3.+ feature requests and discussion

I think so? I think the idea is, the IF PRE interprets the rest of the line as
(BRK; J G.BTNI), so if G.BTNV is zero, it will execute the rest of the line, (thus stopping at BREAK) and if not, it will skip the rest of the line, even though the line contains two separate commands.

Thanks for your reply. I wanted to save a line but I understand, that makes sense
Unfortunately I can’t write J G.BTNI; IF EZ G.GTNV: BRK :slight_smile:

I wonder if you could try

J G.BTNI; ? EZ G.BTNV BRK 0?

I’m not super clear on if the ternary “if” works that way or not.

No, the result is BAD PRE SEPARATOR I haven’t seen the ? in the documentation, but I noticed the existence of this ternary operator in the firmware changes. I don’t know how it’s supposed to work

Edit: I’ve found it, ? x y z is a ternary “if” operator, it will select between y and z based on the condition x .

? A B C
If A is True, execute B, else execute C.

? EZ G.BTNV BREAK J G.BTNI

May work, I can’t test right now.