Teletype workflow, basics, and questions

teletype

Thanks for all the info! I definitely expect that there would be a learning curve which I’m totally okay with.

I think now what I need to figure out is whether I want to try out the coding approach via JT or go with Grid/Ansible which is equally appealing. Lots to think about.

I may be a little bonkers, but I’ve ended up with both. In fact, if you don’t mind giving up several scripts for small plumbing (JF.NOTE KR.CV 1 V 5), you can get Kria to play Just Type!

Couple quick questions - is there any difference in hardware between TT revisions? I noticed that the website said the newest edition would be shipping out starting at the beginning of this month, but I’m assuming that just means it’s loaded with the new firmware.

And if I wanted to bring in Ansible & Grid (running polyearthsea with JF), would I need any additional hardware besides an additional i2c cable to interface the three of them?

Lastly, and this is unrelated to TT, but what is the newest revision of Grid that’s fully compatible with Ansible? I’ve seen a handful of older ones for sale that mention not working with Ansible but I’m not sure what that’s about.

Thanks again for any info!

the latest Teletype has mildly different hardware, so that plugging Grid directly into the latest Teletype doesn’t freak Teletype out. I think there might be another small improvement that I’m forgetting. The front panel and operation remain the same. Funny that you should mention firmware – unless something’s changed, Teletype is deliberately shipped with an older firmware to help ease you into learning a massively deep module.

That’s correct. My setup includes a DIY i2c cable with 4 headers to plug into the different i2c modules in my rack.

What you’re hoping for is a “varibright” grid with 128 buttons and 16 levels of brightness. 16-step brightness seems to have been the standard since 2012.

The other hardware improvement is built in pull-ups for the I2C bus, so no backpack needed.

I just got a new TT and it shipped with 3.0.

to clarify, you can plug grid directly into older versions of teletype too as long as you keep the number of lit LEDs low (and if it exceeds what it can handle it’ll freeze but you can just power cycle and it’ll be fine). but yeah, you don’t need to worry about it with the latest edition!

i don’t think it’s deliberate :slight_smile: it just ships with whatever happens to be the latest official release at the time.

Just ordered TT a few hours ago. I’ll probably hold off on ansible/grid for a bit so I can dive into JT but I’m super excited!

ahhhh, my mistake. My Teletype must have shipped to its dealer awhile ago, however, since I got it with 1.2

wow, that’s an oldie! real vintage teletype… :slight_smile:
and if it looks like this you’ve got a 15 model!

typing-unit

Another newbie question.

Since teletype goes from 0 - 10V, does that mean it can only go up in scale?
What would be standard practice when tuning VCOs If you want to go up and down from root note?

I’m used to pitch CVs that are unipolar, from sequencers and MIDI-CV converters. Some VCOs don’t accept negative voltages anyway.

To be honest, I tend to tune my first VCO wherever it sounds good with whatever CV source I’m using, and then I tune any other VCOs to that (usually by ear). If I’m going to work with softsynths or other instruments, either I’ll retune to a scope or do my best to transpose whatever is most easily transposed :wink:

Tune your oscillator one or two octaves lower than you expect at first, then offset them appropriately with your sequencer. For Teletype you can use the CV.OFF operator to push your CV up to 1v or 2v before you start composing, then swing it down to 0v whenever you like.

(assuming you are using an oscillator designed for v/Oct tracking)

In addition to both of those great solutions:

• TELEXo is bipolar -10v to 10v (I’m waiting to order one)
  • Add an external negative offset to TT cv out in a precision adder

I have a question about the expected behaviour of the TT CV Offset command. If I run the following, I would expect the net CV out to be +1V.

CV.OFF 2 V 2
CV 2 V -1

Instead the CV op will ignore all negative voltages and I get +2V.

Running the following works:

CV.OFF 2 V2
CV 2 V 1

CV 2 displays +3V.

I currently run the following to circumvent the above behaviour with added negative voltages, but it would be nice to put the offset in the INIT script and save some script line characters.

CV 2 + V 2 V 1

Did I miss something?

What about subtraction?

CV.OFF 2 V 2
CV 2 SUB CV 2 V 1

You can’t send a negative voltage to CV 1 because it is not a bipolar output (even though you expect the net result to be positive). Apply the OFFSET afterwards instead.

AHhhh! I had it backwards.

so like this:

CV 2 V 2
CV.OFF 2 V -1

or

#I
CV 2 V 2

CV.OFF 2 V -1

Gives me +1V

So in my INIT I can set CV 2 to V2. and then in my script I use CV.OFF to apply negative voltage. Thanks.

So I just plugged in Teletype (3.0.0) for the first time and right off the bat TR1 is firing at 40ms and I can’t seem to turn it off. Maybe I’m missing something but could anyone clarify what might be happening?

check the M script?