Teletype workflow, basics, and questions

No, but it’s been requested by me (but can’t find where ATM)…

BTW: This was on the ER-301 forum, I guess the first thing to do for this to happen is persuade Brian to implement it in the ER-301, then the TT ops comes later…

1 Like

I’m having some trouble wrapping my head around the LSH/RSH ops. I understand what they do mathematically but I guess I’m struggling to find practical uses for them - would anyone be able to give me some simple examples of how/why to use them?

1 Like

I have not used those bitwise operators by now but my understaning was that they are useful for generating rythms. For example with BGET you can read single bits of a number (one after the other, in a row) and then trigger something or not depending on a bit being active or not. So a decimal number would be representing a rythm extracted from its binary display as a sequence of zeros and ones. With LSH/RSH you then can shift this sequence by one step.

1 Like

What’s the best way to get the greatest of three values? I have three faders scaled from 0 to 2, and would like to get the highest value of the three for use elsewhere in the script.

I’ve tried different chains of IF GTE X Y: Z X but can’t quite get the result I want.

A ? > X Y X Y; A ? > A Z A Z sets A to the greatest of X, Y, or Z and fits on one line!

As a bonus, it also looks ridiculous if you are not familiar with the ternary operator :laughing:

3 Likes

you could just use the dedicated MAX op: MAX X MAX Y Z

6 Likes

RSH along with the & bit mask op can be used to unpack two 8 bit numbers stored in a 16 bit number. I uploaded a sequencer to the git hub that packs note/duration in the patterns so the TT can play 4 voices with 64 notes each.

2 Likes

Ctrl + F “great”

“Nope, not here. Better ask.”

Thanks a bunch!

Hi! One question. I understand more or less what CHAOS.ALG x does. But could someone explain me what CHAOS.R x does? What is the R parameter?

In cellular mode, R is used as the “rule” (limited from 0 to 255).
In the other modes it has no effect.
Source: github

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer and the links! I didn’t know about rule 30…

So I have a teletype on the way and Im going through the studies in preparation (so I can then go through them again once it arrives). I already have a question though regarding the tracker discussed in Study 5. Specifically, how the tracker works in a basic sense.

In the example at the end of the study there is this "A single pattern is used as musical content. For the video we had this:

0, 4, 9, 10, 12, 15 19"

Does this mean that the tracker would look like this?:

0 - - -
4 - - -
9 - - -
10 - - -
12 - - -
15 - - -
19 - - -

I guess the essence of the question is this: there are only four patterns available, and the pattern itself is “read” from top to bottom?

Thanks for help with this basic question. I am completely new to programming anything…

You are correct! The four patterns are named (from left to right) 0, 1, 2, 3. The cells of each pattern are named (from top to bottom) 0-63.

Patterns have several special properties, like position and length, that are also visible on the tracker screen. Some of those properties are given as an absolute address (e.g. pattern end P.END) while others use a relative number of vertical cells (e.g. pattern length P.L).

2 Likes

Phew, alright, maybe it’s not so scary after all.

does anyone know what the fastest rate of gates you can get out of the teletype?

You can have the metronome go as fast as 1 MS with the M! operator. Maybe there’s a way to make it faster? I’m not sure.

Or do you mean shortest gate/trigger?

1 Like

thanks, sorry yes meant the shortest gate

again, probably 1 ms

1 Like

Caveat: Delay PREs don’t work reliably with triggers shorter than 11 mS.

So I’m starting thinking I might wanna pick up a grid…

1. I have a recent TT, (I suppose black PCB, but away from case ATM), will I be able to power grid directly from TT?
  2. Seem to remember a thingy that allows both keyboard and grid at the same time (mainly in a development situation, am I right?
  3. Any one using TT with grid care to share love/frustrations/experiences? Ask because I don’t seem to see this combo that often, wonder why?
  4. Will it be “relatively” easy to map numbers from variables and/or pattern locations to the grid?
  5. How about binary (like beats) backed in integers, is it “relatively” easy to have the binary representation on the grid and have it change an integer in a variable or pattern.