Teletype workflow, basics, and questions

I have a recent TT with a black PCB and I’m able to power grid directly from TT.

Do you mean something like that?:

I have this module. It allows to have both keyboard and Grid connected at the same time and switch between them.

It’s a wonderful combo. In this tread you’ll find studies and amazing scripts that uses TT and Grid:

1 Like

Thanks for chiming in!

Yeah, went through that thread, it seemed a bit meager to me (compared to what’s available with the grid + other units)…

I really wanted to love this combination, but have ended up using my grid exclusively with Ansible and then use either patching to teletype or (occasionally) the i2c connection to talk directly between ansible and teletype. For some reason I found coding for the grid on teletype to be a bit painful in the space available in the teletype scripts. People have done amazing things with it, but I never seemed to be able to get fluent with the grid ops. The Ansible/teletype combo seems to hit the sweet spot for me.

That said, I do quite like the other way of using the grid with teletype - as an interface for launching scripts and changing variables without a keyboard. Folk don’t talk about this mode much and it surprised me when I “discovered” it. Definitely worth a look as it doesn’t require any programming.

3 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed the combo of Teletype and grid. Based on what I’ve seen on how you work, I think you would too. It really allows you to create a custom control surface for your Teletype scripts.

A couple of the Teletype Talk videos that I made demonstrate exposing and manipulating binary patterns on the grid. I think episodes 6 and 8 might show what you’re looking for if you want to see an example.

4 Likes

Ah, thanks Joe, I haven’t watched all your TT videos, but remember now that grid seems to be center stage, thanks for the reminder, I’ll watch them front to back, I’m sure it will answer a lot of questions!

And, yeah, you’re spot on, I’m indeed looking to create “custom control surface for your Teletype scripts”. Have you encountered anything either awkward or even impossible in this regard?

If you’re just looking for control via grid of existing scripts, it’s definitely worth checking out the inbuilt grid control mode. Documentation here: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/teletype/wiki/GRID-CONTROL-MODE

(Incidentally, I kind of wish the grid control modes had a way of changing the metro rate rather than just muting it. Maybe using the same method as changing variables, or by tap tempo?)

1 Like

Nothing comes to mind, really. The grid ops are smartly designed to do a lot with compact code. Like @SimonKirby mentioned, it probably encourages you to push the lines/scripts limit even more than you would already, so you might find you spend even more time trying to optimize scripts to eliminate a line or script. Personally I find that kind of fun and challenging.

I mean, there are limits of course, but I don’t think there’s anything that’s going to be a big surprise someone like you who already has extensive Teletype experience.

The 2>1 feels like essential gear if you’re going to be developing sophisticated grid ops scripts. The grid emulator is definitely helpful but I find I like to test on the hardware as I go pretty often.

The grid control mode Simon mentioned- it’s not that OR your custom controller. You can use them together, so that helps get more mileage out of it all.

1 Like

To be honest, I’m not sure exactly what I’m looking for.

I guess I’m just looking for a way to make my scripts more touchable, although I know that sounds kinda vague…

@EqualTemperament thanks for elaborating, I feel quite assured that grid is the way to go. Will watch your complete video series and make the decision then.

Thanks for pointing me to the 2>1! I guess any usb switch would do the trick, right?

1 Like

I think so, so long as it provides sufficient power for the grid.

the older revision of teletype (green PCB) might also be able to provide sufficient power as long as you don’t have too many LEDs on at the same time. and even if you do exceed what teletype can provide, it will just shut down, no damage to the module, you can just power cycle.

the 2nd aspect is making sure you have enough power in your eurorack case - you have to do this regardless of which version of teletype you use (or if you use 2 > 1 and power it from your euro power).

you need to have a 2 device to 1 host switch which are less common.

you can do that already with the grid control mode, as mentioned. you can directly change variable and pattern values with it: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/teletype/wiki/GRID-CONTROL-MODE#live-page-with-variables

it’s also super simple to make a script that would let you use grid to control a variable. for instance:

#I
G.FDR 0 0 0 16 1 0 4 1

A G.FDRN

this script will create a single row fader. as you can see, with grid scripts the difficult part is defining buttons and faders, but there are multiple ops that simplify using them after that - a script gets called when a grid button is pressed or a fader value changed, you do something in the script or read the fader value etc etc.

also take a look at this: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/teletype/wiki/STARTING-SIMPLE

relatively easy. take a look at this study: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/teletype/wiki/TRIGGER-SEQUENCER

well, let’s count: for other units we have whitewhale, earthsea, meadowphysics, kria, orca, orca’s heart, polyearthsea, chrono sage, levels, cycles. for teletype we have: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/teletype/wiki/CODE-EXCHANGE - i didn’t count, but there are many great scripts there. granted, they might be not as complex as kria - but that’s why kria is a dedicated firmware. and the strength of using teletype scripts to create your own grid apps is that you don’t need to install a separate toolchain, you get all the other things teletype supports, you can have 32 different apps etc etc.

this is related to the question of complexity of creating a grid teletype script - i would say they are less suitable for experimentation (creating a script from scratch) and more fit for creating something you won’t change often, like your own custom controller. many scripts in the code exchange page i linked can be used as is (and i need to find the time to create a pack of best grid teletype scripts with proper descriptions etc - and the time to review/add more studies).

4 Likes

I’d be a bit cautious about usb switches. I’ve had a bit of a challenging time with them. You definitely need to ensure that they pass the power along properly. Also, I have struggled a bit in the past with electrical noise from the grid getting into the signal chain somehow (you can tell this is happening because it’s dependent on the number and brightness of lights showing.) There are ways round this if it affects you, but they are fiddly. Fwiw, I’ve not had any such problems using the grid with ansible, but I think it varies a lot with the specifics of your rack.

1 Like

Thanks.

Sorry if I phrased it badly! I simply meant to say that I don’t see the teletype along grid as much as the other members of the eco system, but maybe I haven’t payed enough attention.

I totally love the teletype and I’m sure the grid will make a great addition!

1 Like

Teletype trick #1128: Set O.INC 0 and O can be used as a normal-ish variable!

3 Likes

you’ll have to set O.MIN and O.MAX if you want to be able to store outside of 0-63 range (the default values for min and max), it’ll clamp to either side (depending on O.WRAP setting). which could be a useful side effect too.

1 Like

After watching the teletype talk series, I was reminded of an old quirk: PROB 100 doesn’t fire all the time (but PROB 101 does). It it the intended behavior?

Hi All-

One of my 2021 goals is to get a firm handle on Teletype. I am through study 4, but am already seeing how some accountability is going to be needed in order for me to reach a few specific goals that I have in mind.

Question for the group: would a “learning teletype” discord or PM thread be weird? As in, would that essentially just duplicate this thread unnecessarily? I ask because I feel like it would be cool to go deep with a small group of people. Am balancing the pros/cons of the closed nature of discord. I’d hate to clutter things here with updates like “hey I completed study #6, how are you guys and gals doing this week?”.

I know there have been a few norns studies discords, so I guess I just wanted to take the group’s pulse on a similar setup for teletype.

7 Likes

I’ll hopefully be picking a teletype up once they are back in stock and this is definitely something I would be interested in!

I’d be interested in this. I just got one and have gotten through three studies and I think it would be great to do something similar to the Norns group.

@Whatwetalkabout @ilikeorangethecolour would you lean toward discord or just a group PM here on lines? I actually don’t mind the idea of a PM, since the group would be small and time-bound (i.e., the study group might last six months or whatever). I’m not a huge discord user; are there benefits to that platform for our uses?

I’ve got no real preference, I’m active on one or two discord servers but I can also participate here if that works a bit better for others.

1 Like