Teletype workflow for dummies

teletype

@Starthief there’s nothing magical about the I2C cable; as long as you align GND-to-GND, SDA-to-SDA, and SCL-to-SCL you can use a standard euro power ribbon. Would recommend keeping it as short as possible though.

I was looking at the ribbon cable referenced on market.monome.org (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10646) and was wondering if I bought that and the headers, which color on that ribbon would be the red one on the standard grey ii cable? I haven’t done anything with cables since high school so I’m totally new to that but since these are sold out everywhere that seems like the best path (also rewarding in the long run).

You’ll want to rely on reading the markings by the headers (GND, SDA, SCL). It’s rare but possible for the order to be switched up (ER-301 and Matrixarchate are current examples). So just connect like-to-like with whichever colors float your boat.

Ok awesome thanks for the tip!

I’m a noob when it comes to these things so please bare with me.
I have both a Just Friends and W/ so a Teletype is starting to feel very interesting.
One thing that I don’t understand is if it is possible to have both Just Friends and W/ connected to Teletype at the same time?
Is it possible to connect two modules via i2C cables?
Do Teletype have to i2C connections or to you need a custom cable?
How does such a cable look?
Where can I buy them in EU?
Or do I need to make them myself?

You can connect multiple modules to the i2C bus. You will likely need a powered backpack sort of solution if you want more than 4. Monome was selling them, but appears sold out. You can get them from @bpcmusic HERE.

The cables are easy to make on your own. Just three wires. I bought something like These and pulled them apart in groups of three.

@Justmat has it right but I wanted to add that you can’t add duplicates of the same module to the I2C bus (except perhaps the TELEX expanders). I would love to be able to have two JF on the TT.

You can also have multiple Ansible. They have an addressing setup that can handle 4 addresses, I think.

Thank you all.
So close to buy me a Teletype now.
:slight_smile:

@Justmat, just to be sure. Could I use these and just remove one of them on each stripe?

Yes, that should work. Just make sure the SDA pin on the TT goes to SDA on the slave, and SCL to SCL, etc.

ok, thank you very much
:slight_smile:

How deep is your case? If you don’t have much room to spare these may not work. For example, in my Frap Plus case, unless I really bend them, I can only use ones with angled headers. Like these:

add me to the list of new teletype potential buyers :grin:

especially after reading this:

how does that work exactly? didn’t know the metronome could be irregular.
i’m very interested in using teletype as a standalone sequencer/event generator more than pairing it with any other external trigger, at least for now.
is it possible to create generative patterns by self patching it, and thus changing the metronome behavior over time?

You can change the metro at will. So something like…

M:
EVERY 2: M RRAND 250 500

would change the metronome every other click, to a random value between 250ms and 500ms. This is just one of endless ways of messing with the timing and firing of the scripts.

sounds great!
but then i’m curious: what’s the real advantage of firing scripts by sending teletype triggers?
i mean, is it a way to add more variety or is the internal metronome not capable to fire scripts the same way?

This is just the best. I loved that I came to it on my own as well, maybe on Study 2. There’s something so rewarding about building on a few core learnings, experimenting, and then hearing things your system has never done before!

this thread is amazing. I am not certain that I’ll end up with a Teletype, but it is super helpful to hear about the experiences of other non-coders who are learning to use Teletype in a way that seems to feel natural.

I’ve had maybe 4 hours with the Teletype so far, but there have been about 25 “a-ha” moments within that time. I can hack my way through simple front-end programming (HTML, CSS), but there’s something very different and immediate about the language and logic involved in Teletype scripting. The building-block approach of the studies online is a big part of that feeling.

The trigger inputs allow TT to integrate with, and react to, the rest of your system. Sure, you can always fire scripts live, or from the metro. but there is only one metro script, so space is somewhat limited.