Teletype workflow for dummies

teletype

got it.
so if each script can have 6 lines of commands, by only using the internal metronome i’d be stuck its 6 lines.
though i could (and please correct me if i’m wrong :smiley: ) patch two trigger outs to the same number of trigger ins and thus control other two scripts by means of the internal metronome script.

You could do that, or you could just call the scripts from the metro script.
M:
L 1 8: SCRIPT I

would call all of the scripts from one metro line.

thanks man, now the big picture is starting to form in front of my eyes :star_struck:

going through teletype studies right now.
my wallet is already begging to be opened :grimacing:

I don’t use the metro scripts all that much, except when doing things as described above by Justmat (which is indeed one of the many really cool things you can do with the TT… and if you think of it… it’s basically just one line of code!)
I do like to trigger the TT from external modules because it’s a bit hard to do deterministic gate patterns without it. Not that you can’t do it (for example I’ve been using patterns to store pitch data along gate length, or you could use other tricks), but not having to frees up some space to do other things.
Don’t forget that you can also self-patch the TT, which in some cases, by use of stackables can be more code-efficent than executing scripts inside scripts.

W/ has a notch in the board just wide enough for a 6-pin connector, so a Euro ribbon wouldn’t work.

I bought the Sparkfun DIY stuff. I’m glad I bought 4 extra headers because I broke 3 of them trying to separate them (why were they already shoved together? :angry:) and another assembling it with the cable. Now I have several feet of 6-wire rainbow ribbon cable that I don’t know what to do with… decorate something maybe? :laughing:

About to try the custom firmware and give it a spin.

A ADD 1 A
SCRIPT ADD 2 MOD A 4

Should do the trick - might be a way to do it in one line though :thinking:

Try:
X WRAP + X 1 2 5; SCRIPT X

After a couple of false starts with the quantizing thing, here’s where I landed:

A SUB IN 22
A DIV QT A 134 134
B DIV A 12; A MOD A 12
CV 1 ADD V B N PN 0 A

And then pattern 0 0-11 represent the note numbers within each octave to map to.

Ideally the first line shouldn’t have been necessary and the second should be “N 1” rather than “134”, but this is what worked for me across a full 5-octaves of my MIDI controller going through my CV.OCD.

I hope it’s the same next time I power everything on :sweat:

Sure, why not? (assuming you have an I2C cable between teletype and ansible)

you can’t use grid connected to teletype to control ansible/kria in the same manner as grid directly connected to ansible would, but you could build a teletype scene that would let you use grid to control kria using remote i2c commands.

this could be used to expand user interface, or have more controls available simultaneously if you have 2 grids. but of course you can do a lot more. you could build a simple tt sequencer that would sequence kria presets, for instance. another fun use case is if you have multiple modules connected, say, earthsea and white whale, and then use teletype/grid to switch presets or send reset to both.

So what are you all using to trigger TT? I thought Tempi would be useful? or maybe multing triggers from other elements in the system? I’ve only just started considering TT but I’m quite excited. This triggering/interface seems really important to the experience. Maybe?

I often use a Pam’s New Workout to trigger my TT. It’s fun to have scripts triggering at multiples/divisions of a master clock. (you could totally do this inside the TT with Metro, but not with as much ease and play-ability)

Ansible/Meadowphysics also pairs very well, when used in the 8 triggers mode.

i’m considering PNW as well…
anyone had any luck trying to trigger TT with beatstep pro?

Yeah I thought about Pam’s and Meadowphysics too. I thought it might be overkill having Ansible tied up triggering but thats another debate.

I imagine Marbles would be very fun used this way

Marbles is usually my master clock if I’m not using MIDI.

Something I like to do is use Euclidean (or other algorithmic) patterns on note triggers, and then using the resulting gates for modulation (either directly or with an envelope).

I’m not sure I’ve seen mention of Grid Ops before. Can you explain / point me to any docs?

Here are the Docs:

Thanks @Kel & @Justmat! Guess I’ll need to find a separate source for powering my grid after all.

right now there are 3 versions:

once W/ ops are merged into the master branch i will integrate them into the next 2.3 beta. also, er-301 support is only available in 2.3.